walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Majestic BEN LUI (Bike and Hike adventure)

Majestic BEN LUI (Bike and Hike adventure)

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chlèibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Lui, Ben Oss

Date walked: 14/09/2013

Time taken: 9.75 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 2003m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glencoe plans for this weekend were all up in the air, Curved Ridge on Saturday got postponed and a revisit to the Aonach Eagach Ridge with friends postponed also on Sunday due to a worrying forecast. But something had to happen, and with Valerie assuring me of good weather for the first part of Saturday my long awaited Ben Lui plan was established once again :wink: :D :D

DSCN4586.JPG
Always lovely to be welcomed into the glens by the locals. And what a beautiful morning
Ben Lui peaking round the corner there.....taken whilst riding my bike after carefully passing the bull! :)
DSCN4599.JPG
Wow! I never imagined we would get such a clear view of Lui today....One of the most stunning munros taken from across the River Cononish now 3km or so up the track.
DSCN4614.JPG
A most memorable part of our day approaching via the long glen now past Cononish Farm. Valerie now in complete agreement with my route. We would be climbing Ben Lui, Beinn a'Chleibh and Ben Oss descending again to the base of Ben Lui from Ben Oss to collect the bikes again.
DSCN4619.JPG
My oh my! Our walking circuit was to start and finish from the very base of Ben Lui picking up our three remaining munros in the area. At this moment in time though I was more than happy just to witness Ben Lui on such a glorious morning
DSCN4625.jpg
Bikes now parked up in a grassy hollow we're off, sticks will be out soon, and maybe a nibble or two....munch, munch. Coire Gaothach now behind me and such a welcome sight, not a hint of a let-down...Argyll at it's best! Stob Garbh on the right would be our approach to the summit, though I teased Valerie that perhaps we could take in a sramble or two on Stob an Tighe Aird on the left. Perhaps one for another day when the other two munros are not part of the plan, and we could play on Lui all day :) :) :)
DSCN4659.JPG
The footpath follows the north side of the moutain stream stream. Valerie and I spend just over two hours thoroughly enjoying the climb to the summit of Ben Lui. Much discussion (at least when I could catch up .. lol) and personal thoughts too appreciating the good things in life. Up out of the corrie and onto the ridge. This is the place to be (hats, gloves and jackets on now...). Ben Lui looms and lears down on us....but what a glorious sight :)
DSCN4662.JPG
The lower rise of Stob Garbh with our approach road far below...with the roof of Cononish Farm by the forest.
DSCN4663.JPG
My kind of path! I love these steep zones :)
DSCN4664.jpg
Not a bad place to be on a Saturday morning, great for mind, body and soul :)
DSCN4665.JPG
Ben Lui appears through the mists again :)
DSCN4668.JPG
Misty, chilly but not too windy and here we are on summit area of Ben Lui. Been looking at this one for may a year, great to now be on top. Look at that edge, MAGIC with the summit just appearing in the mist beyond :)
DSCN4672.JPG
Ben Lui denies us a clear summit, but still simply wonderful. Interesting too, picking out the path for Beinn a'Chleibh as we observed several people heading accidentally for the Ben Oss path ....
DSCN4675.JPG
Beinn a'Cheibh viewed from the path descending Ben Lui, heading southwest, a much lower neighbouring munro. Valerie there making fast progress :)
DSCN4679.JPG
Love ma high lochans :)
DSCN4681.JPG
Beinn a'Chleibh a lovely summit area of 4 cairns (visited them all) offering great views towards Loch Awe and Ben Cruachan :)
DSCN4683.JPG
Traversing around the southwest flanks of Ben Lui heading for the Ben Oss bealach on the southeast of Ben Lui....picked a fine line :)
DSCN4689.JPG
Ben Oss rises around the shoulder of Ben Lui....we now require to go down and round climbing up and over the mountain. At this point looked fairly mighty - Valerie begins to fear cycling back down the glen in the dark. Ben Oss eta still 4.00pm ish.
DSCN4698.JPG
Final stages reaching Ben Oss, still evaluating descent options to the bikes located at the track end below Ben Lui? I was favouring a careful direct drop after passing over the summit of Ben Oss.
A fine view here looking down towards Loch Lomond and Ben Lomond :)
DSCN4701.JPG
Here she is, caught up with my wee wife again on top of Ben Oss :)
DSCN4703.JPG
Beinn Dubhchraig and Loch Oss to the East with Ben More behind that rising above Crainlarich. Nice to see Beinn Dubhchraig, once had a very thick claggy experience on there :)
DSCN4707.JPG
Now to find the safest route down to the bikes, not a regular route, but one carefully planned and selected today. Watching every step very carefully, not a spot for any slips and falls ...
DSCN4710.JPG
The bikes are located down there at the end of the track on the opposite side of the valley... we had looked carefully at this slope from Ben Lui and given close attention to the contours on the map. Time on our side too, so a satisfying route choice :)
DSCN4720.JPG
The only tree in these upper glens and a beautiful one at that! Ben Chuirn (Corbett) in the background :)
DSCN4724.JPG
Coire Laoigh at the top of the glen, Alt Coire Laoigh inbetween Benn Oss and Ben Lui, our plan B route off the mountians...
DSCN4735.JPG
Myself and Ben Lui again from below her magnificent Coire, bikes just 5 mins away. Last steps before the sticks go away again and get replaced by nobbly tyres to guide us home from these tough hills before darkness falls :) :) :)

Job done and we'll be back :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Bod on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Re: Majestic BEN LUI (Bike and Hike adventure)

Postby hutchy1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:40 pm

a great report bod I did the 4 of them a couple of months back but walked in an out of connish which make it a long day but I loved these hills
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:20
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Ben Lui.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:49 pm

hutchy1 wrote:a great report bod I did the 4 of them a couple of months back but walked in an out of connish which make it a long day but I loved these hills

Yes I agree, great hills hutchy1 :D
Bod
Walker

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Nice one Bod and Valerie :D

Some great shots of Lui you got yourselves there :D

Lui is a magnificent mountain and certainly best appreciated from this long walk in :D (oh, but didn't you use a bike :lol: )
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:21 am

Well you two made the most of the Saturday! great stuff and on wonderful hills to boot :) What looks a fine approach apart from the locals you came across! Some great photographs but judging by your gear it got quite cold on top, Summer gone.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:17 pm

Great report.

:wink:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Thats a long day Bod and a good looking route to combine the three, well done. I cycled that with Kim a few years ago when we did the Corbett and Graham. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Bod » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:28 pm

PeteR wrote:Nice one Bod and Valerie :D

Some great shots of Lui you got yourselves there :D

Lui is a magnificent mountain and certainly best appreciated from this long walk in :D (oh, but didn't you use a bike :lol: )

Thanks Pete, aye the old pusher has made it out of the garage :wink: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:31 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Well you two made the most of the Saturday! great stuff and on wonderful hills to boot :) What looks a fine approach apart from the locals you came across! Some great photographs but judging by your gear it got quite cold on top, Summer gone.

Cheers Rod, summer sure is edging out very quickly now, in fact it's gone! Loved this day on Ben Lui, should have happened before now, but then it's amazing and exciting the order of your hills, you never quite know what's next :wink: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Postby jonny616 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Fab you two although I'm saying nothing about the bikes :lol: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Bod » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Thats a long day Bod and a good looking route to combine the three, well done. I cycled that with Kim a few years ago when we did the Corbett and Graham. :D

Cheers Johnny, I was eyeing up the Corbett :wink: :wink: :D Must check the Graham out too now :D
Bod
Walker

Postby soapy27 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:51 am

Braw report and photos ther Bod . :clap: Nice idea with the approach to avoid the boggy section through the woods too. I did it in winter so they were frozen solid :)
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby Bod » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:36 pm

soapy27 wrote:Braw report and photos ther Bod . :clap: Nice idea with the approach to avoid the boggy section through the woods too. I did it in winter so they were frozen solid :)

Aye soapy27 cheers, we had previously climbed Beinn Duhbchraig so this route fitted the bill perfectly in terms of how I had hoped to approach Ben Lui for a long time. Plus the added dimension of the bikes was great fun and a very satisfying experience in this glen :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Postby DaveB1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:19 pm

So, that's what it looks like :o !! I walked the path and got as far the burn (Raging torrent!!) before the steep bit, two hours of pouring rain and Atlantic gale one Saturday about two months ago. The photos are wonderful and have only a) made me green with envy and b) determined to try again!. :D Great report, many thanks, Dave (PS. Glad to see the Bull is still friendly :lol: :lol: )
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland