walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Beag ridge: Four Munros from Culra

Aonach Beag ridge: Four Munros from Culra

Postby gman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Route description: Aonach Beag: Four Munros from Culra

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Alder), Beinn Èibhinn, Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack), Geal-chàrn (Alder)

Date walked: 05/09/2013

Time taken: 8.15 hours

Distance: 50 km

Ascent: 1653m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

aonach beag actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Always planned to do the six of these with an overnight in the bothy/camp, nice cycle in though so 2 trips is not a problem. the whole trip took 8:15, bike to the bothy was 1:15 then about 5:40 on the hill and just under an hour back on the bike as it was mainly downhill (times taken from GPS, otherwise I'd have no idea). Rest of the time spent gabbing/messing about with bike.

WH suggests taking 8-9 hours for this trip from the bothy, but you're starting from a high point so there isn't a lot of ascent and not much of a drop between the hills, also the return is on a good path. With a bike, it's an easyish day trip from Dalwhinnie.

Parked at the station, not many cars when I left but busier when I got back. Dalwhinnie is rife with midges so get the repellent on before leaving the car! Crossed the railway and started down the road, good condition & potholes are filled in. At the gatehouse there are 2 gates, the one on the right has a turnstile for walkers to get through and there's a faint path up on the grass to the right of the gate for bikes. Loch Ericht:

Passed various estate buildings with turrets etc, the route to the hills is always to the right of these. A few steepish hills but didn't have to get off & push. Track goes up to the right of the main lodge, then over a bridge and into the open. Soon the hills came into view, there's a path heading towards them but I was going for the second one next to the hayrick, there's also a large passing place marking the start. View to the hills just before the cut off:

The path is a bit rougher, bothy soon in sight - Alder on the left, Lancet Edge & Carn Dearg on the right:

Parked at the bothy and had a chat with 3 guys who were touring on the bikes. Bothy is comfortable and the aroma of bacon sandwiches was in the air, but it was to the hills & a steep pathless grassy ascent of Carn Dearg:

Actually, the bothy's altitude is over 450m and the slope eases around the 700m mark so it's not too hard going, bit cloudy further up:

Over to Alder:

Bit rocky towards the top and on the descent, cloud lifting now. Grassy hill then a ridge to Geal-charn, again not much descent/reascent:

Lancet Edge/Loch an Sgoir:

Up to the plateau:

Geal-charn cairn looking onwards:

Next 2 hills, good walk along a ridge. Bumped into another bothy resident here, the only other walker I saw today. Again, not a lot of ascent to these two:

That's A'Clachair:

Top of Aonach Beag:

Then more ridge.

Other end of Loch Ericht, Schiehallion looking pointy in the distance:

Last bit of ascent:

Beinn Eibhinn has the dual cairn arrangement on top, as usual the other one looks higher:

Loch Ossian:

Mamores & the Ben:

Route back, not a lot of ascent required for these 2:

Then back to the bealach and down the pathless grassy hill to the stalker's path on the other side of the burn:

Hill was boggy in places with peat hags on the lower slopes. Didn't take long to get to the path though:

Fine walk along a good path, Long Leachas:

Lancet Edge:

Culra bothy and horse:

Cycle back was easier as there was more downhill, still a couple of steepish climbs along the side of the loch though. Soon back at the car and the midges had left - result!
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Aonach Beag ridge: Four Munros from Culra

Postby basscadet » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Oh you lucky ducki, those pics are stunning :) :clap:

Loved these ones myself, t'was part of my first solo backpacking trip so fond memories indeed. Thanks for sharing :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby john928 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Excellent pics gman. Did these and the Ben Alder 2 earlier in the year (before I b*ggered my knee! :( ) and it was a brilliant day out.
john928
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Postby gman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Cheers, definitely got lucky with the weather - it was nice & cool too so the midges should hibernate/fly south for the winter soon.
gman

Postby kev_russ » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:59 pm

braw stuff :thumbup:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:16 pm

It's a fine high level walk, some lovely photographs there gman, must go back very soon, not done the Lancet edge as yet, think that would be interesting, certainly looks it! :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Sarah86 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Stunning set of photos :thumbup:
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 am

Looks like you had a good day for these four :D Some great photos there :thumbup:

They gave me a roasting the day I did them from Glen Spean :D Certainly a group to go back to one day.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Backpacker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:02 am

Good stuff and some cracking pics.

These are next years to do list, think though I'd better buy a bike and see if I can remember how to use one
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:22 am

Great clarity in those pictures :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:48 am

Nice report and some FAB pics. Well done on a lovely solo jaunt. :clap:

I’m hoping to nail these four this coming weekend, so this is a useful steer. Fingers crossed I get the weather…. :roll:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:50 am

PS: Love the caption: "Culra bothy AND HORSE" ....righto, thanks for that, was wondering what that muckle white thing on the right was... :lol:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Postby gman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:PS: Love the caption: "Culra bothy AND HORSE" ....righto, thanks for that, was wondering what that muckle white thing on the right was... :lol:

Haha, how dare you mock my artistic photies! Hope you get the weather, great views of the surrounding hills.
gman

Postby jimur » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:25 am

A good straightforward well written account for a great day's expedition - no drama or exaggerations c/w excellent pics - well done Gman - I wish more posts followed your example here.
Very much looking forward to our planned trip in May now that I've read this post.
jimur
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:10   

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland