walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Autumn Corbeteering in Glen Tilt

Autumn Corbeteering in Glen Tilt

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Route description: Beinn Mheadhonach, via Glen Tilt

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhonach

Date walked: 14/09/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 800m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was supposed to be Beinn Dearg day, but the evening before, we checked the stalking info and just to avoid spoiling stalker's day, we swapped a Munro for a Corbett. No regrets though. A route maybe a wee bit shorter, but still a good day on the hills :D We discovered one very secretive and very picturesque gorge and re-visited the lovely Glen Tilt. Not much more to ask for :D
The mountain we opted for was Beinn Mheadhonach. This Corbett is often climbed as a part of "The Ring of Tarf", but can also be tackled on its own. Glen Tilt offers the shortest approach. The name "Beinn Mheadhonach" - Middle Hill, describes this mountain best, the hill being wedged between Carn a'Chlamain and Beinn Dearg's lower top, Beinn a'Chait.
Starting point: Old Bridge of Tilt car park.
Terrain: good tracks/paths in Glen Tilt, grassy path along Allt Mhairc, some pathless but easy slopes higher up the hill.
Views: lots of rollin' rollin' hills around :D good viewpoint towards the Cairngorms.

Track_BEINN MHEADHONACH 14-09-13.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was only a few weeks since our previous visit to Glen Tilt, when we climbed Carn a'Chlamain, but the glen now has much more "autumnal" feeling to it. We had to pick the less scenic route this time, following the track along the river, because of the shooting at the Rifle Range. We could actually hear the shots from across the glen :shock:
As somebody has already said on this site, it is a walk of four bridges. The first one - Cumhann-Leum Bridge.
The second one - Gilbert's Bridge. Didn't take photos here, but crossed it to join the western-side path:
The cloud in the pics actually looks much gloomier than it was. The morning was quite bright, though chilly, and we enjoyed fast walking on the grassy path:
We reached bridge number three - Ach-mhairc Footbridge. Here, our route leaves the Glen Tilt main circuit.
Birch bolete, mushroom soup material :D
We turned off the main path by an indicator saying "Viewpoint". The slope is overgrown with bracken, but very quickly becomes grassy and offers easy going:
We stopped for a few minutes by the ruins of Ach Mhairc Mhoir - indeed a good viewpoint to Glen Tilt:
The path continues along the deep gorge of Allt Mhairc and it allows fast progress. Now we could see our hill (the peak to the right):
Looking back to Glen Tilt:
This narrow glen is less popular with walkers than the main Tilt circuit, but just as lovely if not better!
About 1km after turning off the main Tilt route, and what felt like in the middle of nowhere now, we reached the point where Allt Diridh joins Allt Mhairc:
There are many sheep tracks (and also sheep themselves :lol: :lol: ) crossing the slopes, but it is easy enough to stay on the most prominent path:
As we turned the corner, we found ourselves facing one of the most enchanting views we've ever seen:
The narrow glen, framed with very steep slopes on both sides, and a cute little stony bridge (No. 4) in the middle:
Just by the bridge, a few fruiting rowans added some red colouring to the surrounding landscape:
Looking west from the bridge:
After a quick photo session in this beautiful spot, we faced the slopes of Beinn Mheadhonach... Ooops, that's where pleasant strolling ends and proper workout begins!
The first 10m or so are on a very tumbly, eroded path, but as soon as we were out of the gorge, we entered the world of heather. There is a faint path one can follow most of the way - it avoids the boggiest bits and the few small peat hags that are in the way. We simply got on climbing :D
A glance back towards Gleann Mhairc:
Views were getting better as we gained height and having gotten to the height of about 600m, we could now see the summit - or I should rather say, the beginning of the long summit ridge:
To the west, Beinn a Ghlo's Carn Liath came into view, as did Ben Vrackie:
Schiehallion, the characteristic shape seen from almost every mountain in Scotland :lol: :lol:
It was getting colder so we stopped to dress up, but Kevin was also eager to get to his sandwiches with polish sausage :lol:
As for me, I was more interested in the steep slopes of the neighbouring Beinn a'Chait:
Impressing:
Beinn a'Chuallaich, the Kinloch Rannoch Corbett. I'm keeping this one for a winter walk:
the summit of Beinn Dearg came into view...
...and soon we reached the flat summit plateau, with some good panos to Beinn a'Ghlo:
The path becomes more prominent again and the ground is more mossy here:
Carn a'Chlamain:
Looking north along the summit plateau, I spotted what I thought was the summit cairn:
We got the cairn quickly, but sadly, it was not the true summit... though I didn't mind a cairn picture:
The TRUE summit is over there - at the very opposite end of the long plateau:
10 more minutes of walking on the mossy ground - and we arrived at what must be the smallest summit cairn I've seen so far - the tiny pile of stones just by my right foot:
According to Kevin's GPS, this spot is 1m higher than the area around the larger cairn. It also offers better views north, to the Cairngorms. Such a shame cloud was hanging above them...
Zoom to the Cairngorms, with Ben Macdui in the middle:
Carn a'Chlamain summit to the very right:
Towards An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir:
Carn a'Chiaraidh, the lower top of Beinn Mheadhonach, and the hills beyond, the pointy top of Sgor Gaoith to the right:
Loch Mhairc and the cloudy Cairngorms:
The sky looked much better to the south:
A shower passing on the horizon. Our hill avoided any rain, and believe me, it was brighter than the photos may suggest. Must say though, winter equipment came out of rucksacks soon. Hats and gloves are now a must-have on higher ground. Autumn has arrived!
We found a sheltered spot just below the summit plateau and had a hot cuppa and a bun :D then set off to return to Glen Tilt. The descent was done at a good pace. Even the sun came out for longer. The hidden gorge with the small wooden bridge looked just as nice from above:
The meandering river:
Negotiating the eroded descent into the gorge:
Ain't this view simply beautiful????
We retraced our steps through Glen Tilt back to the car park, enjoying the magic of early autumn and discussing our next targets :D Don't know if we manage to return here to climb Beinn Dearg. Depends on weather and stalking. But as an old Polish proverb says, what can be delayed, will not run away. Meow!
I really love autumn corbeteering :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Autumn Corbeteering in Glen Tilt

Postby PeteR » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:01 pm

That looks a nice wander BP :D

I've done the two Munros either side, but the Corbett remains un-ticked. I was thinking it would make a good winter walk on a nice clear day :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:55 pm

PeteR wrote:That looks a nice wander BP :D

I've done the two Munros either side, but the Corbett remains un-ticked. I was thinking it would make a good winter walk on a nice clear day :D

Thanks, and yes, it would be a good one for winter - just as long as you start early enough, it would probably take about 7.5-8 hrs to do in snow (depends how fit you are :D ). For us, it's driving down from Inverness in winter condition that could be a problem.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Great day for it as you certainly got the views - it's a long walk but nice part of the country. Didn't see much when up here myself as the clag was down :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:29 am

rockhopper wrote:Great day for it as you certainly got the views - it's a long walk but nice part of the country. Didn't see much when up here myself as the clag was down :roll: - cheers :)

Thanks, Rockhopper, we were lucky with weather, though the Gorms seemed a bit clouded on the horizon... I can imagine walking up these slopes in cloudy weather, must have been pretty boring :roll:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Nice pictures especially the bridge on :) Trying to recall that area again.....Can you cycle that track so far to save time??
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:20 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Nice pictures especially the bridge on :) Trying to recall that area again.....Can you cycle that track so far to save time??

Merci :D It's a nice area, and the last bridge was my favourite spot for the day.

You can easily cycle along Glen Tilt track to Ach-mhairc Footbridge. The path higher up, along Allt Mhairc, is a bit too narrow for a bike and it goes across steep slopes.
Folks climbing Carn a'Chlamain cycle all the way up to the bottom of the Munro. That saves even more time, but we did this one in just over 7 hours by feet, so it is doable without a bike, too. :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:19 pm

Sounds like there was less sheep poo in Glen Tilt this time :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Sounds like there was less sheep poo in Glen Tilt this time :lol:

Maybe I just grew used to "eau de manure" :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Lovely wee hill this one. I did get it with winter clothes on and it was nice. I recall the narrow glen leading out to Glen Tilt having a real "otherworldly" feel to it.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby EvanandEarth » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Nice trip down memory lane for me BP, cheers for the visual reminders.

I have done a few walks in and around Glen Tilt, some in Autumn and some in Winter and it always impresses :)
EvanandEarth
Scrambler

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Graeme D wrote:Lovely wee hill this one. I did get it with winter clothes on and it was nice. I recall the narrow glen leading out to Glen Tilt having a real "otherworldly" feel to it.

Just as well so few people realise it's such an enchanting spot, otherwise we would have group pilgrimages to the "fourth bridge" :lol: :lol: I can imagine how lovely it would be in winter :D

EvanandEarth wrote:Nice trip down memory lane for me BP, cheers for the visual reminders.

I have done a few walks in and around Glen Tilt, some in Autumn and some in Winter and it always impresses :)

Shame we live too far away from Glen Tilt to do regular winter walks there, but if I ever happen to be near on a snowy day, I won't miss it. Sadly, it looks like our plans to tick off Beinn Dearg will have to wait till spring.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland