walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Venue

Ben Venue

Postby delberto » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Loch Achray

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 16/02/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After arriving 45 mins late due to a sat nav error (ok my poor programming of the thing) i found the others that would be going up the hill with me.

Cold start to the day as it was -2 degrees when we set off on the first section.The 4 of us set off with a spring in our step...didnt last long though.
The going underfoot was frozen solid. Although we done the walk without crampons I would recommed wearing them in the conditions we met.
The first part of the walk is through a forest section. This section will take an average of 1 hour to 1.5 hours. It is densley wooded for the most part with a section for about half a mile in the open.
After a short unplanned stop, we set off again up the track towards the boggy section.

Upon coming out of the wooded area you then notice a wooded walkway. This is a short path and leads onto a very boggy trudge for around 30 mins until you reach the burn at the base of the mountain itself. :(
Crossing the burn and ascending up onto where the large cairn can be a bit awkward and slippy.
Upon arriving at the cairn you start the main ascent onto the mountain itself. This involves a series of short but steep sections until the summit.
Climbing rom the cairn to the summit should take on average around 30 -40 mins.

The summit itself is marked with a small cairn.
For the main ascent, the snow was a few inches deep. crampons would have been useful on the way down especially.

On the summit there was great views even although is was partially cloudy.
A couple of coffes later and a few pictues later i set off back down the mountain.
A happy man. :D
Attachments
S5001365.JPG
Delberto at the summit- yee ha
S5001354.JPG
nearly there...
S5001345.JPG
1st section on the ascent
S5001344.JPG
large cairn before main ascent
S5001339.JPG
Raymie coming out of the wooded area into the boggy section- wooden foot[path at this point
S5001333.JPG
Big raymie and the troops taking up the rear...
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Ben Venue

Postby Raymond » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:17 pm

Well done Derek on a fine report - Maybe next time I will accompany you to the summit - Without the wummin :shock:

Lisa obviously wasn't prepared for an assault on the summit and Eileen doesn't like the steep bits. We should have turned back at the beginning of the boggy section. I’m glad we didn’t try to push our luck any further than we did. So I would like to have a go at the summit.
P1060437.JPG
Raymond
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby delberto » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:24 pm

good effort all round...is lisa put off for life noo??hows the blisters?
delberto
Mountain Walker

Postby DonnyW » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Yeah ..Im glad you made it .. its some achievement so there will be no stopping you now delberto.. whats next on the list ? ... Ben Ledi ? 8)
DonnyW

Postby gaffr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:09 pm

When visiting ben A'an many, many, moons ago I could almost touch this top.....always meant to visit Ben Venue...never quite made though...but I do have to return for a Corbett close by...so maybe then! Is the image of the wee buttress the summit of the mountain?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby bazer100 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:13 pm

going up that way tommorrow, is the parking obvious for the start, or should i be looking out for something?

baz
bazer100
Munro compleatist

Postby sloosh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:18 pm

bazer100 wrote:going up that way tommorrow, is the parking obvious for the start, or should i be looking out for something?

Here you go:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/directions.php?w=563
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby bazer100 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:27 pm

thanks very much!! :D

baz
bazer100
Munro compleatist

Postby bazer100 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:27 pm

ok i will just add to the bottom of this thread as its in the same week i walked this, walked be venue yesterday morning, the weather was perfect, was on the path for just after 8 and was a lovely walk up the hill, conditions were a perfect as can be with conditions underfoot good aswell, nice mix of open and woodland walk and when you get through onto the boggy open section nice wee climb up to the summit, bit of snow up top, with a couple of tricky sections, i left my ice axe and crampoons in the car, but for these couple of bits i could have used them, anyhoo reached summit at 10.20 and the views all around was stunning, for my 15 mins at the top the hill and views were mine, so clear and quiet. way down was good with a bear grylls moment where i stopped fighting the the snow on the hill and decided to slide down it great fun!.. i got back to the Ben Venue car park just after 12 and was really enjoyable and less than an hour from home.

i took some pictures as soon as i get my pc working will post them up!!

baz
bazer100
Munro compleatist

Postby delberto » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:34 pm

gaffr wrote:When visiting ben A'an many, many, moons ago I could almost touch this top.....always meant to visit Ben Venue...never quite made though...but I do have to return for a Corbett close by...so maybe then! Is the image of the wee buttress the summit of the mountain?

the summit can be just seen on the top right of the pic.

lovely wee climb
delberto
Mountain Walker

Postby delberto » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:36 pm

DonnyW wrote:Yeah ..Im glad you made it .. its some achievement so there will be no stopping you now delberto.. whats next on the list ? ... Ben Ledi ? 8)

i think a return to ben chonzie is next, maybe in a week or two.
Ive been up ben ledi last year but it was in thick fog and drizzle , so maybe another venture up there too??
delberto
Mountain Walker

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:56 pm

we went here yesterday but we took the route around the left of the trees and then looked to work up onto the nearby ridge and move up. Snow was 4/5ft deep and powder (absolute murder) ended up getting to backside of the riser and then going back. Good walk, would like to see it in the summer!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland