walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quo-ich Side With The Quo-man

Quo-ich Side With The Quo-man

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Route description: Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich, Loch Quoich

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich

Date walked: 06/10/2012

Time taken: 4.45 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1078m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In the early morning Stenhousemuir darkness, myself and Quoman headed off up to Loch Quoich to bag my first hill in the northwest and my first "Sgurr" :D Sgurr a'Mhaoraich...

After 3 and half hours of driving, it was time to do some walking. As we arrived an older chap was already booting up and he walked the first part of the walk along side us, before he gradually began to pull away from my slower pace. Apart from him, we never saw another sole all day and the paths only bore our boot prints, it felt like we were in another world completely.

The first part of the walk is on a decent stalkers path, up over grassy moorland. However it had turned wet and muddy given the recent rains. Over to the right Gleuraich was prominant and behind it the South Shiel Ridge begins to draw the eye, back behind the unusual shape of Loch Quoich becomes more expansive the higher you climb.

At this point it looked as if we were going to be playing a game of chance as to whether we would get views from the top or not. Sometimes we'd look up and the summit would be clear, another time and it would be caked in clag, but the sun was trying to break through the wispy cloud cover and occasionally it would light Loch Quoich up like a lake of molten gold.

The path becomes less distinct when it reaches a stoney section just before the first top of Sgurr Coire nan Eirichean. While crossing this part we saw a flock of Ptarmigan doing their best impressions of the surrounding rocks.

Soon after this Sgurr Coire nan Eirichean had been summitted and the path follows round to the west and downhill onto a fine wee ridge, crossing a couple of half tumbles down drystane dykes in the process.

From here on the muddy, grassy complextion of the hill is replaces with a more rockier outlook There is a faint path over the top of the bumps on the ridge, but the main route bypasses them just a little to the south.

After the ridge section is completed a short, sharp steep section is encountered as the path climbs past the northern side of the false summit/lower top and the view from here back over the way had come was fantastic. Almost the entire length of the South Shiel Ridge, Gleouraich; Spidean Mialach just peaking into sight; and Coire 'Chaorinn dropping away far down below.

The steep section isn't long and it takes you along the foot of some crags defending the lower summit/false top. To your right is a fairly big drop down into the corrie, but it did not feel exposed at all. In the photo below the path follows the grassy ledge, just the right of the crags in the upper left part of the picture.... above the red bag.

Once the steep is done, the path curves round to the north and in a couple of minutes the top is reached! :D

Quite rightly this fine mountain has a big cairn at the top.

While we lunched at the top a flurry of snow came on and we dawned our water proofs just in case, but we had them off again 10 minutes later.

We had all the views we wanted to the north, south and east, but out west there was only a wall of wispy cloud that gave us tantilising we glimpses of Loch Hourn and the sea, but never enough to see Skye or the Cullins.

Despite hanging about for about 20 minutes at the top, the views to the west were never opening up, so we set off back the way we had ascended the hill. On the steep section the rocky steps cut into the path proved to be very slippy and I ended up on my bum! It was a comedy cuts, will he, won't he moment. Thankfully the older chap had long since carried on his walk and Quoman was walking on front... so he never saw! lol :D

Looking back at the site of my slip and the steep bit.

The cloud to the west did lift slightly as we descended and we glimpsed the Forcan Ridge away in the distance, with Sgurr Bhac Chaolais basking in sunshine in front of it.

All the time we were walking the glen was ringing with the sound of stags roaring, but we could never see one until we were almost back at the car, way down by the narrow northern arm of Loch Quoich. We also spotted the Ptarmigan again on the way back down.. these guys need to go back to camoflage school!

The WH reports says Loch Quoich is surrounded by an ugly tidal mark unless it's completely full, have to say I disagree. It just looks like a sandy beach and gives the loch a bit of character you don't see everywhere else.

All in all a great day out on the hills on a super hill. Sgurr a'Mhaoraich may not be the most taxing hill to climb, but it does have a bit of everything thrown in and it's also in area I know I would never have ventured but for this bagging adventure we're all addicted to. Hats off to SaM, you have a friend in me!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Re: Quo-ich Side With The Quo-man

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Looks like you & Quoman had a fine day,always good when you get some views,like you say we see places most people never will,long may this continue.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Rottiewalker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:52 pm

looks like you had a smashing day SL, a lot better than what i had with Bear on the friday, your fairly rattling them in now :clap: , catch up with you in couple of weeks,, well done on what looked like an enjoyable walk..
Attachments
100_1486.JPG
Sgor gaoith on friday
Rottiewalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:56
Fionas:5   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:14   

Postby quoman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Top report SL...It was a pitty we never got a view of the cullins as for your slip i may have mist it but your scream was like the rutting stags :lol: :lol: heres some of my pic's
DSC03251.JPG
on way up
DSC03263.JPG
SSR
DSC03269.JPG
DSC03272.JPG
LOOKING TO SSR
DSC03274.JPG
the hill from the top
DSC03283.JPG
the hills to the south
a fantastic day on the hills cheers Scottishleaf.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Grand stuff ,never saw a great deal meself on this one :(
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Lenore » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Great report, ScottishLeaf! Lovely pictures and a useful route description as well. I saw this one while doing the south ridge last summer and would love to do them next time I'm around. Both for the gorgeous views of the south ridge, and the two hills themselves. Bathing in golden sunlight back then they looked lovely. Haven't read much about them, so good to read your report!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:35 pm

A lovely area this with some cracking views, i camped near the dam and did the four Munros here over three days. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jonny616 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Nice one mate. I need to get out this way soon. looks grand.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:38 pm

Very nice - looks great in the autumnal colours despite the clag :thumbup: Still to get up here - helpful detail in your WR for future reference - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Ranger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks for posting :D

Got this one up my sleeve for one of my last. Will be lucky to get the views you got :lol:
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Malckyb » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 am

Great pics..looks a fab walk..planning this one for next weekend. :D
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:29 pm

Grand pair of Sgurrs :wink:

Well done :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland