walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Down jacket

Down jacket

Postby Dan Scheer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Heya,

I am planning on buying a down jacket over the next months, I do a lot of winter hiking and usually go with multiple thin layers, which is great for walking, as you are usually too warm anyway, but then once I set up camp I usually need to hit the sleeping bag pretty quick as even multiple layers get cold quickly. I was never keen on the bulky looking jackets, but on my last winter trip, a friend of mine pulled out his down jacked from a tiny stuff sack and looked pretty comfy while I was freezing bits off... The other reason is, I am going on a 2 week trip to Lapland in winter, I don't think my current 3-5 layer winter clothing does the job at -30 degrees.

Anyone got some experience with down jackets and got any recommendations? From my current research, the Mountain Equipment Annapourna is my favourite, but maybe someone has some hands-on experience with them?

cheers :)
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Islands:25

Re: Down jacket

Postby watkins » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:05 pm

I have a small amount of experience with down jackets, I'm sure someone with more real world experince will come along.

But for me personally when looking at a down jacket I want something as light as possible, the Annapurna is only 600+ fill power and I'd be looking for 800+ personally. I get by with the Rab infinity but the Rab Neutrino Endurance seems to be a big player in the market.
watkins
Mountaineer

Postby chrisandbex » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi

I have 2 down jackets; the mountain equiptment classic lightline which is awesome. Its only 600+ fill but i was told by a helpful lass in Ellis brigham that it would be much better than say a north face 800 fill equivalent. I love it, great for cold nights camping, it was great on kilimanjaro and packs down well. I have just bought the mountain equiptment Cho Oyu (which is the ladies equivalent of the Annapurna.) Amazing coat, totally like wearing a duvet, its like nothing i have ever warm before, ridiculously warm and comfortable but it is bulky and quite heavy. I bought it for the high himalayas (-30). Its much cheaper than the Rab neutrino which I think is a bit more of a fashion piece ( I seem to see a lot of folk wondering the streets of Aberdeen in it, excessive even for northern scotland!) Hubby bought the Annapurna for <£200, bargain in my opinion but I will let you know when I'm back from Mera. :lol:

Bex
chrisandbex
Mountain Walker

Munros:180   Corbetts:18
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:36   

Postby Dan Scheer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:54 pm

thanks for the input :)
I guess Rab and Mountain Equipment are a bit like Canon and Nikon, both absolutely fantastic but individuals could argue over which ones they prefer for days :)
Since getting an ME Iceline sleeping bag, I am in love with their down equipment. The Annapurna is probably a bit overkill for Scotland, but I think in Lapland I will need that kind of warmth...
I put one on in the local hiking shop here and wow, I can only agree Bex, it felt amazing, like a cuddly warm duvet!
now I have problem, I know it is overkill, but I really really want it ... :)
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Postby Holly » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:38 am

I have a lightweight Mountain Hardwear Arete (women version). I love it. This may not be an issue for you but Mountain Hardware use ethically sourced down for their products which does and did influence my purchase. I feel much better now having purchased a light, easy pack down, toasty warm and comfy jacket with no conscience to bother me :o
Wore it messing about on very cold nights at the bottom of a glacier in Norway after some heavy walking and was great to sit about in without heading for the sleeping bag!
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby neil_mcgeoch » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:34 pm

I've got a couple of Down jackets and would say to you, don't just pay attention to the down fill number. I have last seasons Rab Microlight Down jacket, very light weight and great for winter walking with only a lightweight base layer underneath, its something like 700 - 750 fill down.

However, if I am going to the football in winter, the Rab sometimes isn't enough to keep me warm. I then tend to go for my North Face Nuptse II down jacket. Its only 600 fill down, but it keeps me cosy when I'm sitting about and not creating body heat. The Fill Down only tells you how much the feathers/down will loft, the other thing to look out for, is the number of feathers/down in the jacket.

Try them on in the shop to see which warms you up the quickest.

If there is any chance of rain, take a waterproof, especially in a lightweight down jacket. I got caught out and spent an hour in Starbucks one day trying to dry off.
neil_mcgeoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:1

Postby chrisandbex » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:35 pm

I agree the fill number doesn't seem to necessarily matter. I forgot to say the warmest down jackets are "box fill" like the annapurna not "baffle" like most other jackets on the market. I think most people are switching to synthetic insualted jackets like primaloft though. Maybe not as warm but more waterproof and more packable.

Becs
chrisandbex
Mountain Walker

Munros:180   Corbetts:18
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:36   

Postby Rudolph » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm surprised thet the primaloft is considered more packable than down. Generally down packs smaller than synthetic for the same warmth. What am I missing?
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Dan Scheer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:28 pm

The Annapurna and similar jackets are supposedly highly water resistant (whatever that means in reality...). How much of an issue is water proofness for these kind of down jackets anyway? The way I see it, when it is cold enough to justify a proper down jacket, it won't be raining and water resistant should be good enough against falling snow? I have no experience with water resistant clothes though as so far I have only used lots of layers with an outer water/wind proof layer, so may be completely wrong on this one :)
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Postby ADavies » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:23 pm

I have an alpkit down jacket and that does the job great and awesome value for money, but I think alpkit are moving away from down for one reason or another. I never did get the bag I was after.

I also have a RAB generator smock and that's awesome, but I wouldnt say as warm, on it's own accord anyways, but it also a lot lighter. It's synthetic though and as such I don't have to worry about it getting wet. With that in mind most of my of my equipment is now synthetic for the same reason.
ADavies
Scrambler

Hewitts:4

Postby bydand_loon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:27 am

ADavies wrote:I have an alpkit down jacket and that does the job great and awesome value for money, but I think alpkit are moving away from down for one reason or another. I never did get the bag I was after.

I also have a RAB generator smock and that's awesome, but I wouldnt say as warm, on it's own accord anyways, but it also a lot lighter. It's synthetic though and as such I don't have to worry about it getting wet. With that in mind most of my of my equipment is now synthetic for the same reason.

That alpkit site must be one of the most frustrating web shop ever, do they ever have anything in stock. (apart from the jackets that is)

My wife has a RAB Neutrino Endurance down jacket, i think she actually prays from snow and frost so she can wear it, she loves it and claims its the warmest jacket shes owned, (especially when shes rushing between john Lewis and Craigdons :shock: ),

I have an old berghaus down/goretex expedition jacket, that is far to warm even with just a t shirt on underneath for what i do in this country, more suitable to propaa adventurers in afy cold places, its going to the big ebay god someday

just ordered a Patagonia down sweater yesterday, seems to have very decent reviews and the half price sale convinced me
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Frogwell » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:18 pm

I bought an 800 fill power lightweight down jacket from Costco for about £35 last year. It weighs about 350grams I think (from memory anyway, I've have to weight it again to be sure). It seems every bit as good quality as ones 5 or 6 times the price.

I like it so much I went and bought another one - I keep one solely for winter camping, and another for general use when out and about.

They don't have them in at the moment, although they do have similar lightweight down bodywarmers for about £22.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby riverlodge » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:42 pm

i'd echo the quality of my alpkit down jacket. and fantastic price - on a personal note no problems with service either.
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

Postby EvanandEarth » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi Dan,

I see the Annapurna is on sale online for £238 with free delivery (Men's Medium or X Large in a rather fetching Cobalt Blue).

Surely it has your name on it! :)
EvanandEarth
Scrambler

Postby Dan Scheer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:46 pm

ha thanks, will go have a look :)
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk