walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

9 in Glenshee and a meet with the King to Be

9 in Glenshee and a meet with the King to Be

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn an Tuirc, Càrn Aosda, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, The Cairnwell, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 20/09/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is definitely a first for me and probably a premier for the walkhighland. A member gets to speak to the “King to be” (Prince Charles) on a one to one basis whilst on a walk in the Highlands.

The day started with a 101 mile undulating drive from Fortrose leaving at 0610. The main hike began at 0810 from the car park just south of the Glenshee ski centre. A wee rise up the glen to get the calves going took me onto the ridge. A short climb then led to the cloud engulfed top at 943m then over to Creag Leacach summit cairn at 0921.
A view back down to the car park from the summit.
glenshee9sep2013 017 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
glenshee9sep2013 018 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

The walk to munro 2 continued along the ridge passed the lone cairn
glenshee9sep2013 022 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
A view from the lone cairn back to the summit of munro one, CL.
glenshee9sep2013 026 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

before a gradual rise led to the summit cairn of Glas Maol at 1000. I noticed a square basket on the ground and wondered what was it protecting??
glenshee9sep2013 028 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
glenshee9sep2013 029 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

I then continued north along the ridge, passing large numbers of mountain hares,
glenshee9sep2013 036 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
then along the broad track up to Cairn of Cleise at 1048.
glenshee9sep2013 037 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
glenshee9sep2013 039 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
The large cairn:
glenshee9sep2013 040 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
The next stage involved descending east and heading over good ground toward Tolmount which is visible on the left and Tom Buidhe on the right
glenshee9sep2013 043 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I arrived on Tom Buidhe summit at 1130. I noticed an orange and white pennant and thought it untidy that someone would peg that to the cairn. I was later informed that this was in respect to a 32 YO who had passed away up there recently. RIP.
glenshee9sep2013 047 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

I retreated west before heading over to munro 5, Tolmount at 1200. I sat there and contemplated heading over to cairn Bannoch and Broad cairn.
glenshee9sep2013 055 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I decided to leave them for another day and continued west back toward CoC.
The weather deteriorated and visibility reduced. I found the summit of CoC and had a brief chat with a pleasant couple from Glasgow who were enjoying a nice cup of warm soup. I took a bearing then set off in the wet cloud toward Cairn an Tuirc. I hiked on a North bearing to source the path which then led up to the large stone covered summit with two cairns. The west cairn was the true top at 1340.
glenshee9sep2013 058 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I had some lunch then set off down to the car park.

As I neared the final section I was walking along the river side and I noticed this tall elderly gentleman heading toward me. I gave way to the ascender and stepped in to allow them to pass over a narrow section. As he negotiated the wee rocky section my brain acknowledged that he had a famous face. Then they stopped beside me to chat. He was wearing a tweed jacket, kilt, carrying a wee shoulder bag and a staff. I could not tag the name and just asked “how are YOU doing? as the penny finally dropped. We chatted for what seemed like ages. He enquired if I had been up to the top, I said yes and I asked if he was going up, he said; oh no I’m just walking a small loop. Hopefully the weather will hold I commented and he replied that it did not bother him either way. He asked if had I come down from Aberdeen (must have been my dodgy attempts at refining the raw Motherwell accent), I said naw that I had travelled from Fortrose near Inverness and mentioned that I had seen him up close once before when he came to look around an organic garden that Inverness High school kids had built. I had been nearby in the health and safety offices adjacent to the gardens. Ah yes, health and safety, one can take this a bit too far…I said yes, some people do, but I would not be up on the hills alone if I took it too far. (then it donned on me that he was on his own and I wondered if the snipers had me in their rifle scopes!!!) We chatted briefly about other subjects then it was time to say farewell and we wished each other well and parted company.
Awestruck, the King to be had chatted freely with lowly me, KennyG, in Glenshee. I sneaked out the wee camera and stole a poor snap shot as a memento. I wondered if I should have just asked for a photograph when we were chatting then thought nah maybe not the thing one does..lol.
glenshee9sep2013 061 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
glenshee9sep2013 061 (2) by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

Still, not a lot could top that chance encounter. I strolled buoyantly up to the car park and relayed my experience to a walker who just missed him as he had descended on the higher path.

I crossed the main road and ascended directly up the steep eastern ridge, passed the hides (wondered if the SAS were in there as it looked right down to where I met prince Charles)
glenshee9sep2013 062 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Then onwards and upwards to the large summit cairn of Cairn Aosda at 1535, Munro number 7.
glenshee9sep2013 064 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I continued passed the ski lifts and ski runs down the path before tracking over to gain the West ridge which led to summit cairn of Munro 8 Cairn a Gheordh at 1650.
glenshee9sep2013 066 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I returned to the main path and walked up passed the big chairlift, where I recalled the memory of a funny incident which I endured in early childhood, where I basically lost a ski and the rescue gang came up for me after discovering the ski at the base. This was the first time that I had seen the slope since the incident.
glenshee9sep2013 067 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

Anyway, I continued up to reach the summit of Munro 9, Cairnwell with all of the man-made structures and communication masts.
Imageglenshee9sep2013 069 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

I contemplated the day, nine munros completed and a polite conversation with the King to be, that is an outing that I will remember for a long time.
I quickly descended south over steep ground initially before easing lower down, then on to the road and car park at 1820. I had a quick chat with another couple, and of course I had to mention my chance encounter again, then they told me about their encounter with a gruff gillie who scorned them straying off the path!!!
I wondered if he would have been as surly and obnoxious with the King to be!!!!
So if you happen to be on the hills in this area keep your eyes open because you never know who you might meet.
Last edited by scottishkennyg on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: 9 in Glenshee and a meet with the King to Be

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Good on you Kenny. I'm sure HRH appreciated being able to chat to someone on the hill just like everyone else, with no fuss or fanfares. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Very impressed that you met the King to Be, but what REALLY impresses me is the 9 Munros. NINE - whew! Fabulous job - and you didn't even sound tired. :clap: :clap:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:54 pm

A great report, Kenny, and well done for climbing all these nine in ten hours.

That chance encounter must have been an experience. When walking in Scotland, I've talked to people who say their friends have also met HRH on the hills in that area. You weren't too far from Balmoral, of course.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 pm

dogplodder wrote:Good on you Kenny. I'm sure HRH appreciated being able to chat to someone on the hill just like everyone else, with no fuss or fanfares. :D

Cheers DP, I think you are right although I'm not sure he really understood my accent,,lol
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:10 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Very impressed that you met the King to Be, but what REALLY impresses me is the 9 Munros. NINE - whew! Fabulous job - and you didn't even sound tired. :clap: :clap:

Thanks Annie, enjoyed the walk and probably got a second wind after speaking to HRH..lol..Glad to see you settling in to the site networking and congratulations on your recent award, the photographs were immense... :clap:
Last edited by scottishkennyg on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:12 pm

simon-b wrote:A great report, Kenny, and well done for climbing all these nine in ten hours.

That chance encounter must have been an experience. When walking in Scotland, I've talked to people who say their friends have also met HRH on the hills in that area. You weren't too far from Balmoral, of course.

Cheers Simon, it is a lovely area and the going was good... Kenny
scottishkennyg

Postby basscadet » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:55 am

Aye, Charlie is often round those parts at this time of year.. Rents the place from Invercauld estate - because Balmoral isn't good enough? :? :crazy:
He has eaten my Venison stew, and said it was lovely :shock:
Thanks for clearing up my confusion about what constitutes the 'Glenshee 9'.. I have heard the term and wondered.. Its a long way, wouldn't catch me going to that much effort :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Backpacker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:47 am

Good effort and a cracking round, my feet were in bits at the end, although I did my round slightly against convention. :D
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:38 pm

basscadet wrote:Aye, Charlie is often round those parts at this time of year.. Rents the place from Invercauld estate - because Balmoral isn't good enough? :? :crazy:
He has eaten my Venison stew, and said it was lovely :shock:
Thanks for clearing up my confusion about what constitutes the 'Glenshee 9'.. I have heard the term and wondered.. Its a long way, wouldn't catch me going to that much effort :lol:

Cheers BC, congratulations on the stew...I could have done with some of that after the walk. :)
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Backpacker wrote:Good effort and a cracking round, my feet were in bits at the end, although I did my round slightly against convention. :D

Nice one BP, I enjoyed reading your blog on the circuit and well done too... :clap:
scottishkennyg

Postby mickyjones » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:18 pm

enjoyed reading that,well done on 9 munros :clap: and meeting charlie to boot,awesome!
mickyjones
Mountaineer

Munros:127   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:52 pm

mickyjones wrote:enjoyed reading that,well done on 9 munros :clap: and meeting charlie to boot,awesome!

Cheers Micky...
scottishkennyg

Postby alfredo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Well done mate. :clap:
alfredo
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby Scotjamie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Nice on Kenny
Enjoyed the walk report....great 'striding' country. Chatting with a lone Charlie just tops it all :)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland