walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Stunning Correen Hills

The Stunning Correen Hills

Postby RicKamila » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Route description: Correen Hills circuit, near Alford

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Lord Arthur's Hill

Date walked: 08/09/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 16.6 km

Ascent: 546m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Firstly, We want to say a big thank you to Paul and Helen for adding this walk. We've asked for more walks in the North-East and they have duly delivered :clap: :thumbup:

We headed out to the Coreen Hills, just on the outskirts of Alford. We sailed past the turn off, but eventually realise our mistake and headed down the correct road, signed Terpersie. There is parking at the end of the road on the left hand side, you can fit about 6 cars in.

P1000902.JPG
The start of the walk

We set off at 12:15pm and headed up the farm track and followed the path as it turns to the right between a shed and a house. Eventually we reached a gate with a welcome sign.

P1000904.JPG
This gate lifts up, but its quicker and easier to climb over it

Following the track to another gate, we carried on along the path in glorious sunshine. The hills splendid in green and purple heather all over the place. Eventually we reached a fork in the track, and carried along the left hand path.

P1000916.JPG
The path on the right is the return path of the circuit

After a short while, we reached a stream. Kamila choosing to walk over the wooden plank to the right, Rick choosing to jump it.

P1000917.JPG
Plank or jump? Hmmm

The walk then starts to get a bit tougher as the path starts to head directly uphill. There was no breeze and by the time we got halfway up in the 24C heat, we were absolutely sweating. We carried on past some trees and eventually reached the summit of Lord Arthur's Hill. There is a cairn on the left of the summit and the trig point to the right. We stopped at the cairn for a rest, which has amazing views and if walked in winter, would provide a great shelter spot.

P1000934.JPG
Looking south-east

P1000935.JPG
Looking east

Looking around the summit we had amazing visibility and could clearly see the high rises of Aberdeen, Bennachie, Clachnaben, Morven, and the top of Lochnagar. We wandered over to the trig point and had clear views of Ben Avon, Glenbuchat Hills, The Buck of Cabrach, Ben Rinnes and the Tap o' Noth.

Heading back to the path, we followed it west and when we reached a fork, took the right hand path.

P1000970.JPG
The right way is the right way

Following the path, which was boggy in places, we headed up Edinbanchory Hill and enjoyed a drinks break overlooking the Cairngorms.

P1000972.JPG
Ben Avon and the Glenbuchat Ridge

From here we turned right again and followed the ridge for a good 2-3 miles. There was no breeze, but plenty of flys, bees, wasps and flying ants, much to the joy of Kamila. This part of the walk is long and slighty boggy in parts, but the views to the north more than make up for it as you cross two more hills.

P1000995.JPG
The Buck of Cabrach

P1010004.JPG
Tap o' Noth

Eventually you reach two trees and a lochan at the end of the path and there is a track across the heather that takes you to the next path. We could see the entire ridge just walked from here.

P1010020.JPG
Lord Arthur's Hill and the ridge to Edinbanchory Hill

The path that takes you back to the start is brilliant. It is soft, green grass and the going is nice and easy after the walking just done across the ridge. Eventually we reached a quarry and in the middle of it is a hut. We walked over to it as the walk description says it could be a possible shelter. We undid a wire locking system and went inside but all we found was some abandoned glasses (really old fashioned ones), a small container and some used condoms. Nice hey!! Wouldn't recommend using this as an overnight shelter. A window is smashed and it is in inhabited by many large spiders.

P1010026.JPG
It might look nice....

P1010028.JPG
.... but inside it isn't

Locking the door again with some wire, we headed back along the lush green track and eventually reached the Esset Burn. As the walk description says, when in spate it would probably cause some problems, but today it was easily crossed using some stepping stones and one small step in the water. Luckily our shoes were waterproof today!!

P1010038.JPG
The final crossing

We rejoined the original track and crossed through the two gates, gave the farmer and his wife a friendly wave and a hello and arrived back in Terpersie at exactly 4:15pm, 4 hours after we started. A truly enjoyable walk and once again a big thank you to Paul and Helen for adding this one to the Aberdeenshire section :D
Last edited by RicKamila on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Re: The Stunning Coreen Hills

Postby ChrisW » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Stunning is the right word to describe this little beauty RK, that heather looks beautiful. Right up my street this one, and in an area I would have easily reached too.... though if I ever do make it to this hike I think I'll stay clear of the bothy :? :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Benjaminnevis » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:26 am

Looking to do this ma sell soon.thanks for posting parking details as i wiz nae sure far tae park.
Looks a fine wee wander.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby RicKamila » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:21 am

Benjaminnevis wrote:Looking to do this ma sell soon.thanks for posting parking details as i wiz nae sure far tae park.
Looks a fine wee wander.

It is indeed a fine walk, just don't waste your time going to the bothy though.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Ian Johnston » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:04 am

Great stuff!

Terpersie is less than a mile from my house and there are some great walking opportunities around the area

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Re: The Stunning Correen Hills

Postby Drum_star_606 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:15 pm

Just back from this walk and I must admit feeling bad as this walk is near enough on my doorstep and I only just discovered it recently.
Superb walk and great to see different views on scenery I pass near every day.
Yeah, 4 hours on the mark for me too :)
Drum_star_606
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Benjaminnevis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:52 am

SAM_0003 (800x599).jpg
Wandered roon yisterday bit Nae so stunning for me :( Started lashin doon on the summit.

it is a great wee stoll but best on a dry day as the paths are ah grass an sheep dung.
Attachments
SAM_0021 (800x598).jpg
But the sun did show face again later.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Postby SMRussell » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:59 am

Got to love a stroll up a wee hill with such pretty views. I'm an Aberdeenshire lassie myself and there is quite a bit of choice up there. Might have to pop up and see for folks for a weekend soon and get some hill hoping in.

Nice report :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Benjaminnevis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:58 pm

The Forbes arms looked tempting is weel. just doon the road fae this walk. :D
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Postby snojomo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks for this inspiring walk report. Love the photo's and its a great route with stunning views.
I walked it in sunshine with 18 degrees on 23 Sept 2013. Only one minor variation (aka obvious shortcut) at the newish fence after Badingair hill. Thank you J
snojomo
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:9
Sub 2000:12   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland