walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braeriach etc from Linn of Dee

Braeriach etc from Linn of Dee

Postby gman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:04 am

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Càrn a' Mhàim, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 23/09/2013

Time taken: 10.2 hours

Distance: 44.2 km

Ascent: 2176m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

braeriach actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Weather looking good on Monday so went for these while we've still got a bit of daylight. Cycled up to Derry Lodge, over the footbridge and continued by bike, although the path narrowed with large rocks in it so I gave up & ditched the bike before Luibeg Bridge. Didn't need to detour for the bridge as the water level wasn't too high, back to Luibeg fron the path round Carn a'Mhaim:

Met a couple of guys here who had taken bikes to the bothy, they reckoned it was 50:50 cycling/carrying the bikes which is better than I would have managed. Beinn Bhrotain ahead:

Then Devil's Point, Cairn Toul, Braeriach make an entrance:

Footbridge over to Devil's Point:

Path leads up behind the bothy:

Main path stays on the right of the burn but there's another faint path on the left which looked like a short cut, bit rough though. Macdui & the start of the ridge to Carn a'Mhaim on the other side of the glen:

Good views higher up:

Cairn & Carn a'Mhaim. Starting to think about adding Carn a'Mhaim on to the walk as it didn't look to hard to get on the ridge, it's on the way back anyway and it's a bit of a trek to come back just for that one.

Glen Dee, approach to Bhrotain from the White Bridge:

Devil's Point looked quite big from the path coming in, but it's only 1004m & Cairn Toul is 1291m so a bit more ascent required. From this angle it looks like there's quite a drop after Stob Coire an t-Saighdeir but fortunately it isn't too bad.

On top of Stob Coire an t-Saighdeir. Cairn Toul doesn't look too hard from here, Angel's Peak is next and doesn't look like it should be a separate Munro from this angle, Braeriach in the background between the two:

Bit warmer & less windy than expected today but there are water sources at the Devil's Point and on the way round to Braeriach. Back to Devils' Point:

View onwards from Cairn Toul:

Rocky at the top then path round to Angel's Peak:

Braeriach:

Back to Cairn Toul from Angel's Peak:

Braeriach & Falls of Dee, more water:

Cairn Toul & Angel's Peak from the walk up Braeriach:

Carn a'Mhaim looks OK from here and it's in just about every pic so I'm obviously thinking about it:

Braeriach cairn. And Carn a'Mhaim:

From the top I continued to the next bealach, map showed a path leading part of the way down to Lairig Ghru. Cairn at the start of the path, and Carn a'Mhaim again:

Path zig zags to get clear of the steepest bits then disappears so it's steepish descent on rock, heather & boggy bits. Descent route from Lairig Ghru path:

Path back & decision time. Lazy option 1: forget about Carn a'Mhaim & have a nice walk back. Lazy option 2: bag it on the way otherwise you'll have to come all the way back for it...actually, this one sounds laziest so it's a winner.

At the Allt Clach nan Taillear, looks steepish from here and deep heather on the way up. Legs felt OK but soon realised this was because I'd been descending since Braeriach. Joined a path about halfway, it was heading towards Macdui but I followed it anyway to get out of the heather.

Finally on the ridge, glad to get here but there's still a bit of ascent & false summits to go.

Camera break time. Braeriach & Macdui:

Devil's Point & Cairn Toul:

Finally made it to the top, a couple at the cairn were asking about the nearby so I had a breather and pointed out the ones I'd just done and others I knew from doing before, even got the pronunciation right(ish!). Glad I bumped into them, had to take a moment and look around and the views were pretty good. Then a nice descent back to the bike and an easy cycle back - only fell off once :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Braeriach etc from Linn of Dee

Postby balgonie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:26 pm

great pics and a great weather day, i was just across the way that same day bynack mor & cairn gorm , great report i've got that very same route in my sights here's hoping on a good weather window and daylights hrs in my favour
well done gman
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby murphy999 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Superb mate, this route is on my hit list, possibly as soon as next week.
Loved the photo, such vivid colours.
murphy999
Stravaiging

Munros:57   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby brpro26 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Outstanding day...photos are great and do it justice. Quick walking time too you must have got a move on.
Had to double check the date walked....September!!!! :shock:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:04 pm

Now there's an idea! Might steal this route from you when I get to do these hills. 8)
I love the pictures!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby pigeon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Agree with the others gman,superb pics from a great day :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Looks like a belter of a day, wasn't like that further South!

The images of the hills look very autumnal already.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby gman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Cheers, got lucky with the weather - MWIS predicted high winds but there was hardly a breeze.

BoyVertiginous wrote:The images of the hills look very autumnal already.

Yeah, that's cos I like the white balance on 'cloudy' even on sunny days - my camera's set to perpetual autumn :lol: .
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4

Postby ceaser » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:45 pm

great pictures gman ,i did the braeriach traverse today and never seen a thing ,looks like you got all the good weather :D
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Perfect day and lovely photos :D . wish I'd taken a day off rather than going out over the weekend!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Del246 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Great pictures from a big walk. :clap:
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:20 pm

What a lovely day you got with those autumn colours. Quite a walk that! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland