walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Donich

Ben Donich

Postby BigT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:27 am

Route description: Ben Donich, via Rest and Be Thankful

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich

Date walked: 29/09/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 690m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nice day for it, forecast a little mist, low wind, and clear in the afternoon we set off after 9 aiming to be at the foot of Ben Donich for 11am, expecting clear weather on the summit a few hours later. Walking today, was myself and my pal Dave.

28_09_2013 Ben Donich - Copy.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Initially pleasant climb through a rocky path weaving up to a wooden gate. Nice views all around the rest and be thankful are available throughout the ascent.

Once through the gate, the path is still well defined, but now becomes a narrow furrow on the hillside. It's a mixture of rock and mud right now, but easy footsteps all the way. The path alternates been zig zags to compensate for the steep parts, and boggy plateau. All in I make it 5 steep sections to ascend the NW ridge. Everything between the 2nd and 3rd climbs was very boggy for the ascent and this made for an interesting descent later.

Looking up the nw ridge to climbs 3, 4 and 5.

The well reported rock scramble between the 3rd and 4th climb is excellent. It's about 2.5m down and then 20m across the crags and then the final two steeper ascents start.

Two paths take you to the summit, with little cairns marking the route furthest from the crag face. The summit itself is pretty big with lots of rocks to sit down on and eat lunch.

Think I'm smiling...

The sun split the sky at this point, and views all around are excellent. You can see down into Lochgoilhead and Loch Goil

The Brack,

The Arrochar Alps,

An imposing view of Doune hill right above Arrochar village was also to be had

I did get an epic view of Beinn an Loachain on the way down

Coming down was initially quick, reversing down climbs 5 and 4 and then across the crags was straight forward. Things really slow down when navigating the boggy mid section slopes. Careful foot position was necessary, with occasional off-path descending. I took two spills on the way down. By this time with clear skies Beinn an Lochain Nw ridge and summit was dominating the local landscape - a truly impressive sight.

Glad to see the gate, with the rock path that followed it, and then you are off the hill 5 minutes later.

This was an enjoyable short climb with some rewarding views, It's one I'd do again but I'd like to do it at the height of summer with the ground baked dry.
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: Ben Donich

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:48 pm

This is one i want to return to as i did in howling wind and rain and only really saw my feet for most of it. The summit boulders did provide some shelter though for lunch. :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland