walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Four short walks in the lakes.

Four short walks in the lakes.

Postby willywalker247 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:06 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Binsey, Cat Bells, Latrigg, Walla Crag

Date walked: 20/09/2013

Time taken: 6

Distance: 12.16 km

Ascent: 823m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This being our first trip to the lakes we decided to do short walks in the morning and the touristy bit in the afternoon.

Day one. Cat bells.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked the van in a small pull in at grid ref ny247212 We walked a short distance up hill were we a saw sign marking the start of the path up Cat bells there's not much to say about this walk other then it`s a clear path almost to the summit with just a short scramble to get to the summit.
Lake district walks 010.JPG
Lindsay on Cat bells
Lake district walks 011.JPG
The views from the summit would have been great except for the rain and some hail, but that said it was our first Wainwright, so we were happy.

Day two, Latrigg.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked the van in small car park grid ref ny281254 What can I say about this walk other than it`s a very short walk lasting only 45 mins but on a good day weather wise, some great views would be seen.
Lake district walks 018.JPG
Lindsay on Latrigg
Lake district walks 019.JPG
Lake district walks 015.JPG
Lake district walks 016.JPG
Panoramic view
Lake district walks 017.JPG
Panoramic view

Day three, Binsey.

We parked the van in a small lay by at grid ref ny235351 This was another easy walk following a grassy path all the way to the summit. With great 360 degree views.
Lake district walks 020.JPG
Lindsay on Binsey
Lake district walks 021.JPG
Lake district walks 022.JPG
Lake district walks 025.JPG
Lake district walks 026.JPG
Lake district walks 027.JPG

Day four, Walla crag.

We parked the van in a small national trust car park near a small bridge
called ashness bridge. Grid ref ny270196
Lake district walks 032.JPG
Ashness bridge
This path has a couple of steep sections which help you gain height quickly. It then opens up as do the views. On reaching the summit the views would have been fantastic if it was not for the weather, but there were still some great views.
Lake district walks 033.JPG
Cat Gill
Lake district walks 034.JPG
Lake district walks 035.JPG
Lindsey on Walla crag
Lake district walks 037.JPG
Lake district walks 048.JPG
Rainbow over Derwent water.
Sorry cant post any more pics as i seem to have reached my limit. I know our walks are not awe inspiring but we enjoyed them and intend to visit the lakes again in the new year.
Attachments
Lake district walks 023.JPG
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Four short walks in the lakes.

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:22 am

These shorter walks are just as enjoyable and I visited all of these hils except Catbells on our last visits to the Lakes. They are a good wee leg stretch and you get good views from the top. Lovely photo with the rainbow.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby willywalker247 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi Sarah. Thanks for your comments. We had a great few days. Our next visit will be longer as well as our walks. Skiddaw maybe. :)
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby dunrock » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:15 pm

We are just back from the lakes, where like you done a lot of short walks. Looks like you got the same weather as us!!!!
dunrock
Bird-watcher

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:11   
Wainwrights:3   

Postby willywalker247 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:37 pm

dunrock wrote:We are just back from the lakes, where like you done a lot of short walks. Looks like you got the same weather as us!!!!

It was an easy way of bagging our first few Wainwrights, as for the weather were in the hands of the gods! :)
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby colgregg » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Did Binsey and Latrigg today as a tag on to a Northern Fells walk. Two easy Wainwrights with exceptional views. Purists might say I should have done Latrigg from Keswick but I'm no purist and if there's an easy way my motto is go for it.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby willywalker247 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:53 pm

colgregg wrote:Did Binsey and Latrigg today as a tag on to a Northern Fells walk. Two easy Wainwrights with exceptional views. Purists might say I should have done Latrigg from Keswick but I'm no purist and if there's an easy way my motto is go for it.

Like wise i`m all for the easy way! :) :)
willywalker247
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland