walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian, Broken Spectres & Tourists in Trainers

Bidean nam Bian, Broken Spectres & Tourists in Trainers

Postby xpfloyd » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 29/09/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1217m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today myself and gman27 (Gregor) headed out and done Bidean nam Bian. We had avoided this one on the winter months and since the mwis forecast was good for today it seemed a good time to tackle it. We couldn't have asked for better weather, the conditions were great. I wont go into the route as it was the route on here that we followed so its been well discussed before. Instead ill just post the photos -

Click the pics for bigger versions

Looking back into the valley

Coire nan Lochan, Glencoe, Scotland by xpfloyd, on Flickr

Why is Stob Coire nan Lochan not a munro!!

Stob Coire nan Lochan Summit Cairn, Glencoe, Scotland by xpfloyd, on Flickr

Stob Coire nan Lochan Summit, Glencoe, Scotland by xpfloyd, on Flickr

Stob Coire nan Lochan Summit, Glencoe, Scotland by xpfloyd, on Flickr

Finally a broken Spectre!. My first one but the first of many today

Broken-Spectre.jpg

Our first munro of the day

79&80 (2 of 4).jpg
Me on the 1st

79&80 (1 of 4).jpg
Gregor on Bidean

Bidean nam Bian Summit, Glencoe, Scotland by xpfloyd, on Flickr

Standing Stones, Glencoe, Scotland by xpfloyd, on Flickr

Standing Stones, Glencoe, Scotland by xpfloyd, on Flickr

Stob Coire Sgreamhach Summit

79&80 (3 of 4).jpg
2 Down

79&80 (4 of 4).jpg

Stob Coire Sgreamhach Summit, Glencoe, Scotland by xpfloyd, on Flickr

Tourists in Trainers -

On the way back down we started coming across lots of people in the lost valley and beyond. The majority of them were not kitted out for the occasion with most wearing jeans and trainers. One guy in shorts and trainers was trying to walk up the opposite side of the gulley that we were coming down on his way in the direction of the scree slopes below the munro top. Very treacherous ground at that point but onwards he went. Further down we met a couple of foreign guys wearing jeans and trainers who asked us how long it would take to the top. At first I thought he was asking how long it took us but then the penny dropped and we realised he wanted to get to the top and was asking us how long it would take him. Dismayed by all this and about 50 or so people later we arrived back at the car park. At this point a woman approached and asked me what path was the one that lead to the lost valley. She said it wasn't clear on her "map". She showed me the map and expecting to see an OS map I was confronted with one of those touristy maps you get on pamphlets for places I.e. a big green hill with a big blue line saying "path to lost valley".

Granted that the terrain up to the lost valley isn't too treacherous and in fair conditions trainers would suffice but it was the sheer number of people that were heading up a munro as if it was just a little stroll in the park with many having ambitions of reaching the top too. I couldn't help but think no wonder the mountain rescue get called out so much with things like this going on.

Maybe im over-reacting but I found it all a bit mental.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: Bidean nam Bian, Broken Spectres & Tourists in Trainers

Postby Milesy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Wow. Incredible photography! Great photos!
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby SMRussell » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Firstly, your photos are incredible :clap:

Secondly, yes the ill prepared walker issue. I find this massively irritating when I see it. The hills are for everyone and it is possible to head up a Munro in jeans, trainers and a t-shirt and come down unscathed - but it is not advisable. Each person heading up should do themselves, their companions and MRTs a favour and give some thought to their kit and attire. I can understand the argument that if someone is new to hiking they wouldn't wish to invest in expensive gear however you don't need expensive gear to be prepared - I'm pretty sure you could kit ourself out okay on a budget with a trip to Mountain Warehouse.

I've also very nearly lost my cool with friends who request to come on hikes with RTMcB and I after viewing photos of our walks on facebook. So many people think heading into the hills is just a jolly and think I'm being OTT or unfair when I outline the kit and clothing they should have if they want to come with us. I guess they do not appreciate the position they are ultimately putting themselves and us in if they are not willing to prepare themselves - we are basically responsible for someone we are taking up a hill and it is borderline offensive if they disregard advice from someone who has enough experience to know what 'prepared' and 'appropriate' means when it comes to hill walking. Rant over.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Milesy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Without taking his report off topic too much, you need to strike a balance still. Most people who plod up the lost valley or The Ben will not come to grief, and the majority of these people do bring in valuable tourism. You aren't going to be able to educate everyone, and in particular visitors. I accepted it a long time ago. I don't bother about it any more.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. I know its not up to me to determine who should and who shouldn't be heading up the hills but it was just a bit of an eye opener for me I guess. I didn't here anything in the news last night so I assume that every one of them made it safely back off and Im sure some even reached the top of the munro.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:39 pm

SMRussell wrote:I've also very nearly lost my cool with friends who request to come on hikes with RTMcB and I after viewing photos of our walks on facebook. .

My friends are the opposite, when they hear im doing munros in the winter they must visualise me hanging off Ice faces dangling from two axes and they all warn me of the dangers of winter walking (having done none themselves) :roll:
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:38 pm

I am bad person: I climbed a Corbett in trainers yesterday (but only because I managed to leave one of my boots in the cupboard at home :oops: :oops: :oops: ).

Lost Valley on a dry warm Glasgow holiday weekend? You didn't really expect it to be quiet, or free from the slightly clueless, did you? :wink:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby iolair » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:36 pm

I climbed a Corbett on Saturday.
I was in jeans and trainers.
I didn't have a compass
I didn't have a jacket.
Surprisingly, I'm still alive! :D
iolair
Ambler

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Great photos, Eddie. Glad to see you are back in the hills. I've caught the bug now too....

Please tell, did you carry a tripod up? I notice you took the 'big' camera :crazy:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:50 pm

Great photos!

I met a girl coming down the rocks and scree on Ben More Assynt wearing trainers and she explained to me it was because she has weak ankles - so trainers are better. :crazy:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby footslogger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:51 pm

Brilliant photos that capture the atmosphere of your day. To join the debate over boots/shoes I refer you to TGO Oct in which Chris Townsend, a gear reviewer states in his article, "Two months walking the Scottish Watershed in trail shoes has reinforced my long-time conviction that they are the best footwear for all conditions bar snow and ice". If inexperienced or new walkers are to read this how are they supposed to make a considered choice, it makes a nonsense of the perceived wisdom.
footslogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:209   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:188
Wainwrights:107   

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:43 pm

jmarkb wrote:You didn't really expect it to be quiet, or free from the slightly clueless, did you? :wink:

I suppose I should have realised it would be like that, just hadn't seen it as bad before
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:43 pm

iolair wrote:I climbed a Corbett on Saturday.
I was in jeans and trainers.
I didn't have a compass
I didn't have a jacket.
Surprisingly, I'm still alive! :D

:clap: congratulations :clap:
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:45 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Great photos, Eddie. Glad to see you are back in the hills. I've caught the bug now too....

Please tell, did you carry a tripod up? I notice you took the 'big' camera :crazy:

Hi Annie, good to see you on here too. I took the big camera but no tripod lost a few shots from when the sun was coming up due to motion blur so probably could have done with it but happy with the rest of the shots
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:49 pm

I actually done my first Munro in jeans but I was wearing boots, had a map that I could read, had water, food and bad weather clothes just in case.

My point isn't about jeans and trainers alone it's more about the high number of people I saw without many of what I would class as essentials. Maybe I'm just naive......
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland