walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian, Broken Spectres & Tourists in Trainers

Bidean nam Bian, Broken Spectres & Tourists in Trainers

by xpfloyd » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 29/09/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1217m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Bidean nam Bian, Broken Spectres & Tourists in Trainers

Postby Gman27 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:50 pm

Great pics again mate, absolutely cracking
I still cant get over some of the people we met coming down, just disrespectful to the montain, one twist on a rock = sprained or broken ankle or fall = yet another call out to mountain rescue.

On another note I wonder what fellow walkhighlanders make of our TOP 3 questions we are asked when descending a munro.......
in reverse order...... the classic...

3 - Whats the weather like at the top?
then the equally stupid.......
2 - Did you go all the way to the top?
but my all time favourite and
the most annoying....... 1 - You must of been up early this mornng?

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! People that ask these things make me mad so I'll tell you what I,ll answer them all right now for you. Firstly the weather at the top is probably not much different to what its like where you meet me and in any case you will find out. Secondly....Of course I made it to the top and even if I didn't I probably wouldn't tell you. And finally I might very well have been up early or maybe I just done the munro quicker than you cos I didn't waste time asking stupid questions to people!!!!!!
Rant over, deep breathing again :?
Gman27
Munro compleatist

Munros:206   Corbetts:24
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:17

Postby litljortindan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Some great pictures! For me, nothing much better than cloud floating about between ridges.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:46 pm

litljortindan wrote:Some great pictures! For me, nothing much better than cloud floating about between ridges.

Yeah you cant beat it. Normally though when I lug my "big" camera up the hill the cloud is all around me and then when I leave it at home this happens. Luckily for me this one it played out nicely
Last edited by xpfloyd on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Gman27 wrote:You must of been up early this mornng?

The old classic :D

On another note, I actually forgot to write in the walk report but this double was probably my most enjoyable hills to date. The views to anoch egach though have made me want to do them even more. Ill be keeping an eye out for a nice weather forecast for us to hit those two hopefully in the near future.

Great day out on the hills though mate but my thighs and calfs are goosed today!!
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:30 pm

really enjoyed the photos - fantastic :clap: :clap:

Also concur regards footwear and clothing sometimes seen on the hills particularly the more busy ones - seen all sort - remember on Ben Lomond meeting someone wearing Bermuda shorts - flip flops and a denim jacket - oh and they had a Tesco bag to carry their erm survival kit - no idea what was in it!!!
wilkiemurray

Postby dtr42 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Great report and as for the inane questions I just grin and talk Gaelic to them in a Glaswegian accent it seems to work . ranging from Tha i blàth! [its warm ] all the way to Tha dòrtadh ann [its p££sing down [pouring] they all wander away with a strange look .
dtr42
Mountaineer

Postby garry the arab » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Milesy wrote:Wow. Incredible photography! Great photos!

seen you both I was with my cousin and her 2 black Labradors we got the broken spectre photos as well great weather and views all day, know what you mean with the unprepared people we descended the other way but met a few folk that clearly had no clue where to go.
garry the arab
Mountain Walker

Munros:112   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7

Postby riverlodge » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:03 pm

fabulous pics.
interesting debate on unsuitable kit - i know a couple of old timers who went out in stuff that would make those of us used to high tech gear cringe, but the key point was they were hill fit and knew how to navigate.
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:04 pm

Wonderful photographs, thanks for posting :clap: :clap: :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:12 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:really enjoyed the photos - fantastic :clap: :clap:

Also concur regards footwear and clothing sometimes seen on the hills particularly the more busy ones - seen all sort - remember on Ben Lomond meeting someone wearing Bermuda shorts - flip flops and a denim jacket - oh and they had a Tesco bag to carry their erm survival kit - no idea what was in it!!!

Thanks mate, emergency buckfast in the Tesco bag perhaps ? :D
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:13 pm

dtr42 wrote:Great report and as for the inane questions I just grin and talk Gaelic to them in a Glaswegian accent it seems to work . ranging from Tha i blàth! [its warm ] all the way to Tha dòrtadh ann [its p££sing down [pouring] they all wander away with a strange look .

That's an idea, ill need to brush up on my Gaelic though!
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:15 pm

garry the arab wrote:
Milesy wrote:Wow. Incredible photography! Great photos!

seen you both I was with my cousin and her 2 black Labradors we got the broken spectre photos as well great weather and views all day, know what you mean with the unprepared people we descended the other way but met a few folk that clearly had no clue where to go.

I remember seeing you and the dogs on the second one. Really couldn't have asked for better views
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:16 pm

riverlodge wrote:fabulous pics.
interesting debate on unsuitable kit - i know a couple of old timers who went out in stuff that would make those of us used to high tech gear cringe, but the key point was they were hill fit and knew how to navigate.

The Rodmiester wrote:Wonderful photographs, thanks for posting :clap: :clap: :D

Thanks guys
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby garry the arab » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:48 pm

xpfloyd wrote:I actually done my first Munro in jeans but I was wearing boots, had a map that I could read, had water, food and bad weather clothes just in case.

My point isn't about jeans and trainers alone it's more about the high number of people I saw without many of what I would class as essentials. Maybe I'm just naive......

Think you are correct, we all know how quickly the weather can change and also the underfoot conditions mean if we don't tread carefully injuries can happen meaning extra hours having to be spent on the mountains and if not properly kitted out bad things can happen.
garry the arab
Mountain Walker

Munros:112   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7

Postby colgregg » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:33 pm

xpfloyd wrote:I actually done my first Munro in jeans but I was wearing boots, had a map that I could read, had water, food and bad weather clothes just in case.

My point isn't about jeans and trainers alone it's more about the high number of people I saw without many of what I would class as essentials. Maybe I'm just naive......

They were probably spurred on by what looked to be good weather. Had some of these less well equipped walkers been caught by a turn in the weather then potential problems. I wouldn't contemplate wearing trainers on the mountains, my Crocs are far more comfortable.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland