walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A last hurrah before my spinal surgery

A last hurrah before my spinal surgery

Postby railton22 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:58 am

Route description: Morrone ascent, Braemar

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Date walked: 20/09/2013

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 13.6 km

Ascent: 650m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Due to have spinal surgery next week so wanted to end on a high as there won't be any hill walking for a while, whilst I recover.

Didn't feel up to a Munro as the only ones left for us to do in this area have long walk ins and we opted for this Corbett instead with a view to having a good look around Braemar after the walk.

Really impressed with Braemar; very pretty little town with friendly locals and unfortunately two pitbull-faced rude Italian women with no manners whatsoever. The concept of thanking someone for holding a door open is evidently difficult to grasp. Anyway enough of that, onto the walk.

Parked in the free car park in the centre of town; nice clean loos too and then up the very pretty side road to the start of the walk and past the duck pond. Some really stunning properties here, all with outstanding views, a very lovely part of the world.
DSC09316sm.jpg
Impressed with beautiful Braemar

DSC09321sm.jpg
On the lower slopes of Morrone

Met a couple of lovely Germans on the way up who, like us were making the most of the pleasant day and were doing the same walk as us and making the most off the great views over Braemar on the ascent.
DSC09319sm.jpg
Near the start of the walk with the Linn of Dee and Glen Lui behind me

We found the walk easy enough and were at the top in no time (but not as quick as the super-fit hill runner who pinged up and down Morrone like it was a mere speed hump). Nice chap too.

The views at the top of Morrone were indeed spectacular and we spun around like Linda Blair in the Excorcist taking in the fab 360 views.
DSC09325sm.jpg
Post surgery I MAY be able to sit like this without any pain. Morrone summit, spectacular views

DSC09328sm.jpg
Morrone summit

DSC09333sm.jpg
I won't be doing this for a while, that's for sure

The land rover track down the far side was straightforward to follow and we got great views of Loch Callater and Jock's road that we'd walked several days earlier.
DSC09331sm.jpg
Amazing views in every direction

DSC09337sm.jpg
Looking towards Loch Callater and several of the Munros that we've bagged (oooh it feels good writing that)

The river section was beautiful
DSC09343sm.jpg
River Dee, Braemar
and we met a groundsman on the very picturesque golf course who apologised for not being able to fit both of us on his grass-cutting buggy for a lift into town!
DSC09347sm.jpg
A beautiful early Autumn day

DSC09352sm.jpg
Not quite walking on water. I'm a bit of a cheat

DSC09354sm.jpg
Over the Dee

Back in Braemar we wandered around the shops and art gallery and finally rounded off a great day with coffee, hot chocolate and cake at the Taste cafe. Perfect!

Walked by Sarah and David
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Re: A last hurrah before my spinal surgery

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:33 pm

Fine report with photographs to match, yes Braemar is a brilliant wee place right enough. Will miss your summit poses :lol: Hope everything goes well and your back in action up the hills soon :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks for posting. We went there in May and found it surprisingly good.

You have my full sympathy and best wishes for a full recovery from your surgery as I am also taking a break between hills whilst waiting for physio exercises to put my back into the correct shape.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12

Postby Bruno » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Sorry to hear of the impending op , Sarah, but sure it will all go well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery- look forward to seeing you jumping off more summit cairns in the not too distant future!! :)

All the best
Iain
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:22 pm

Oooooh, good luck with your surgery. I'm sure your cheerfulness will speed your recovery (at least you look and sound cheerful)!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:13 am

All the best with the surgery and hopefully not too long before you're back in the hills. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby railton22 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:54 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Fine report with photographs to match, yes Braemar is a brilliant wee place right enough. Will miss your summit poses :lol: Hope everything goes well and your back in action up the hills soon :)

Thanks for this Rodmeister; recovering steadily and yes hopefully I'll be posting summit poses again :D
railton22
Mountaineer

Postby railton22 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:58 am

litljortindan wrote: I am also taking a break between hills whilst waiting for physio exercises to put my back into the correct shape.

Thanks for this litljortindan; here's sending "get well soon" wishes your way too. Hopefully we will both be back on the hills before too long. Not liking this hill detox. :wink:
railton22
Mountaineer

Postby railton22 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:01 am

Bruno wrote:Sorry to hear of the impending op , Sarah, but sure it will all go well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery- look forward to seeing you jumping off more summit cairns in the not too distant future!! :)

All the best
Iain

Thank you for this Iain. Ops seems to have gone well; just taking it steady at the mo, which is frustrating but hopefully it'll all be worth it in the long run. Can't wait to get back up on the hills :) :)
railton22
Mountaineer

Postby railton22 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:04 am

AnnieMacD wrote:Oooooh, good luck with your surgery. I'm sure your cheerfulness will speed your recovery (at least you look and sound cheerful)!

Hahaha thanks for this AnnieMac. Not doing too bad post op, thank you. As for being cheerful; you're seeing me at my best up on the hills....I'm not so chipper when I'm stuck in a traffic jam on my way to work :wink: :wink:
railton22
Mountaineer

Postby railton22 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:08 am

dogplodder wrote:All the best with the surgery and hopefully not too long before you're back in the hills. :D

Ahh thanks Dogplodder, looking at all the great pictures on WH is certainly an incentive to get better as soon as poss :lol: . I can just about manage a 3 mile walk at the mo but it's exactly one week post op so I guess slow and steady wins the race. Can't wait to be back up in the hills :)
railton22
Mountaineer

Postby EvanandEarth » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Have to agree with the Braemar love going on here. Its definitely a great wee place and its where i started my humble hill walking obsession.

My first day out in the hills was a misty, foggy, soggy trudge towards Lochnagar via Loch Muick. It rained, I got blown around, I couldn't see a thing and I loved it!
EvanandEarth
Scrambler

Postby railton22 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:14 pm

[quote="EvanandEarth"]Have to agree with the Braemar love going on here.

EvanandEarth yes, I completely read you on this one. Braemar is exceptionally stunning. can't wait to get back up there :D
railton22
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:36 pm

railton22 wrote:
dogplodder wrote:All the best with the surgery and hopefully not too long before you're back in the hills. :D

Ahh thanks Dogplodder, looking at all the great pictures on WH is certainly an incentive to get better as soon as poss :lol: . I can just about manage a 3 mile walk at the mo but it's exactly one week post op so I guess slow and steady wins the race. Can't wait to be back up in the hills :)

you're doing pretty well then! keep it up you'll be back up the hills in no time.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ballarat » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:49 pm

great report and pics,good that op went well :) recovery is so much easier when you are young :) however DO NOT overdo things,difficult as it is to restrain your self.
sermon over good luck
ballarat
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland