walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr na Sgine - and there's life in the old dog yet!

Sgurr na Sgine - and there's life in the old dog yet!

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Route description: The Saddle, Forcan Ridge and Sgùrr na Sgìne

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Sgìne

Date walked: 26/09/2013

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The first few photos were taken in May when Pete and I came to check out the first part of the route up Faochag. We parked just east of the Mhalagain bridge and walked in by the obvious gate.

Gate at roadside
DSC_0564-large.jpg

Being May the gorse was blooming in all its glory.

Glen Shiel looking north west
DSC_0559-large.jpg

The path leads to the river where boulders offer an option for crossing if you can't be bothered to detour east a short distance to a footbridge (which isn't visible until you reach it). When I came back in September with Rob and Mary we took a more direct line from the gate to the bridge, avoiding the water-logged path.

Whenever my black lab Tess finds water she goes into automatic retrieve mode, finds a handy stick and makes it clear by furious tail-wagging she wants it thrown. If you oblige this will go on until you finally give up from boredom or exhaustion... because she herself has never been known to voluntarily give up. :eh:

Tess at river with stick
DSC_0535-large.jpg

Bridge over Mhalagain with Faochag ahead
DSC_0541-large.jpg

From the bridge you head south west towards the deer fence, where there's a gate. This is the first of two fences, the second having a stile to climb, but with a handy dog size gap at the foot which isn't that obvious but my hill savvy hounds found it.

DSC_0543-large.jpg

After the fence the gradient steepens and is steep pretty much all the way to the top.
DSC_0546-large.jpg

Pete turned back about here and the dogs were torn about who to follow and kept looking back for him!

Jack
DSC_0548-large.jpg

She's still got that stick :angel:
DSC_0550-large.jpg

DSC_0552-large.jpg

My male lab Jack isn't fussed about retrieving but sometimes out of sheer badness he decides to take her stick off her. Just to remind her males rule. :twisted:

Gimme that stick!
DSC_0556-large.jpg

I didn't finish the climb in May - never intended to - but came back with Rob and Mary in late September and it was interesting to see the difference in vegetation and growth. The path was also more muddy the second time round following a rainy spell.

Higher up, different camera, Biod an Fhithich and a balmy day in late September
DSC03386-large.jpg

Nearing top of Faochag
DSC03392-large.jpg

I had been in two minds about taking Jack with me for this climb. At nine he's slowing down and has arthritic joints. But a new tablet from the vet seems to have helped so I decided to give him another chance. There was one short scrambly bit on the lower half of Faochag where he needed a bit of encouragement, but apart from that he took it in his stride. But whenever he gets a chance he always lies down to rest, whereas Tess (a few months older) never bothers to lie down. 8)

Well earned rest at the top
DSC03398-large.jpg

Sgurr na Sgine from Faochag
DSC03395-large.jpg

Mary, Rob, Saddle and Forcan ridge
DSCF8405-large.jpg

Easy ridge connecting Faochag with Sgurr na Sgine via its north west top
DSC03400-large.jpg

Pools at col before path steepens up Sgurr na Sgine useful for rehydrating the dogs (Rob's pic)
DSCF8410-large.jpg

Again there was one rocky step where Jack needed a little encouragement. The nervous tail-wagging tells you he's worried. I went up first, called him and when he jumped I grabbed his collar to give some extra lift and he was up. On the way down the same but this time I broke his landing to save him jarring those painful joints.

Sgurr na Sgine summit
DSC03405-large.jpg

Me photographing dogs (Rob's pic)
DSCF8414 (800x600).jpg

The photo I took - and yes, Jack looks tired.
DSC03408-large.jpg

Beinn Sgritheall and Skye
DSC03409-large.jpg

Ladhar Bheinn and Knoydart
DSC03410-large.jpg

View north east to ridges on both sides of the glen
DSC03413-large.jpg

South Glen Shiel ridge
DSC03417-large.jpg

We decided to return by the stalker's path from Beallach Coire Mhalagain. We should have retraced our steps over the north west top from where a path leads down to the lochan, but when we saw the lochan from the col thought we'd be clever and avoid any reascent by traversing the grassy slopes directly to it. It looked a more direct route but in practice the steep wet grassy slopes interspersed with boulders made for slow going and we'd have been quicker sticking to the higher route.

When we reached the lochan at the bealach the dogs went in for a swim and Tess was asking me to throw sticks for her like she hadn't just climbed a mountain!

Lochan at Bealach Coire Mhalagain
DSC03418-large.jpg

From there we followed the rough path along the wall to the start of the the Forcan ridge at which point the path improves, leading to the col between Meallan Odhar and Biod an Fhithich and back down to the road. We then had a short walk east along the road to where the car was parked, when Tess was delighted to find someone's discarded sandwich which she bolted down including its cling film wrapping. And no, nothing untoward happened to her digestive system - but that's labradors for you! :lol:

The next day Jack was stiff but nothing major and I was so pleased for the old boy that he'd managed to add another Munro to his tally. They're both great hill companions and I think it's sad that the dog's life span is so much shorter than ours and they have to retire from it long before we want them to. :?
Last edited by dogplodder on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Sgurr na Sgine - and there's life in the old dog yet!

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Cracking report. Love the labs!

If it can be chewed, they'll eat it :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:18 pm

A great day for it second time round - has been a good time to get out and about recently - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:36 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Cracking report. Love the labs!

If it can be chewed, they'll eat it :lol:

Yep, that's them, Dyson on legs. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:39 pm

rockhopper wrote:A great day for it second time round - has been a good time to get out and about recently - cheers :)

I love the hills in autumn - rich mellow colours and no midge. :D
dogplodder

Postby PeteR » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50 am

Really enjoyed that dogplodder :D

Some great photos, especially of the dawgs :D

I remember the descent off Faochag :shock: Not sure how much more I might have enjoyed the slog up it though, so well done to you all for that. It's a cracking hill Sgurr na Sgine, if a little overlooked by the Saddle next door. A bit of a shame really, but if the therapy sessions ever remove the memories of descending Faochag I might well return.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:22 pm

PeteR wrote:

I remember the descent off Faochag :shock: Not sure how much more I might have enjoyed the slog up it though, so well done to you all for that. It's a cracking hill Sgurr na Sgine, if a little overlooked by the Saddle next door. A bit of a shame really, but if the therapy sessions ever remove the memories of descending Faochag I might well return.

To be honest it wasn't that bad and I'd still rather go up it than come down! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby shredder » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:54 am

Well done Jack the lad - how many Munros has he done? :wink:
shredder
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:22

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi dogplodder, looks like you had a great weather day on a fine hill, great year so far for the hills. Lovely photographs to go along with your report :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:36 am

shredder wrote:Well done Jack the lad - how many Munros has he done? :wink:

Good question as I didn't know off top of my head but after counting them up Jack's tally stands at 60 and Tess has done 69.

Here they are on Jack's first two - the observant will know which ones! :D

January to June 2006 062-large.jpg

P1010040-large.jpg
Last edited by dogplodder on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Amazing Munro bagging dogs - with their faithful humans :lol:

Thanks for posting both sets of photos - the seasonal colour change is lovely - and as usual thanks for the route hints, this is still on my to do list - like an awful lot more :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:39 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi dogplodder, looks like you had a great weather day on a fine hill, great year so far for the hills. Lovely photographs to go along with your report :D

Yes it's been a great weather year for the hills. With looking after mum (90) have been limited in getting out - but this only added to the pleasure when I did! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:25 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Amazing Munro bagging dogs - with their faithful humans :lol:

Thanks for posting both sets of photos - the seasonal colour change is lovely - and as usual thanks for the route hints, this is still on my to do list - like an awful lot more :lol:

This isn't the WH recommended way to do it - which is up the stalker's path and over to Sgurr na Sgine via the Forcan ridge and Saddle then down from Faochag. But when we did Saddle one of the young girls was crippled with knee pain so we decided to stick together and come off with her. I thought then I might reverse it to do Sgine and save the steep descent - which I think worked out well. :D
dogplodder

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland