walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wet Wander Round Ring of Steall

A Wet Wander Round Ring of Steall

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 05/10/2013

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 15.4 km

Ascent: 1795m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With my other half away to Manchester for a few days, I obtained a rather useful hill-pass. After spending the last few days deliberating, and watching weather forecasts, I plumped for the Ring of Steall, partly to get my 50th munro on a nice hill, and partly because I hadn't touched the Mamores before.

Weather predictions took a bit of a dive over the last couple of days, but I thought i'd go for it anyway, So alarm set for 4:00am :? I eventually fought the urge to stay in bed and was up and away before 5am. I took a wee detour to the Spean Bridge Commando memorial on the way.

Ring of Steall-0001.jpg
Memorial at Dawn

Ring of Steall-0009.jpg
Memorial & Mountains

Shortly before 8:00am, I arrived at the car park at the end of the Glen Nevis Road, got my stuff together and set off along the Nevis Gorge. It's a beautiful place. Certainly one worth re-visiting for a low level daunder. After a wee while, the day's initial target came into view :)

Ring of Steall-0015.jpg
An Gearanach & Steall Falls

The days first obstacle to negotiate was the (in) famous wire bridge. I can honestly say I was cacking myself more doing this than i did on the Aonach Eagach, probably because falling in would have ruined a fairly expensive camera/lens combo. I took this rather slowly :lol:

Made it successfully though, although I seemed to be sweating a bit afterwards!

Ring of Steall-0021.jpg
THAT bridge

Steall Falls was next, and what an awesome sight it is. There had been a fair amount of rain, so it was a bit of a torrent. While trying to figure out how the hell to cross, I took a shot of it.

Ring of Steall-0024.jpg
Steall Falls :)

There was no safe crossing so I wandered downstream and paddled across barefoot. Christ, that was refreshing. There then followed a boggy crossing to gain the ascent path to An Gearanach. And good god, what a slog this was. Lack of sleep was partially to blame, but moreso my unacceptable lack of fitness. I was blowing out of the proverbial most of the way up. Luckily there were some photo ops to break things up a little.

Ring of Steall-0032.jpg
Glen Nevis

Ring of Steall-0037.jpg
Ben Nevis

Ring of Steall-0041.jpg
Sgurr Bhuic and it's bizarre circular rock formations

Ring of Steall-0045.jpg
The Grey Corries

I slowly worked my way up to the ridge and views of the Eastern Mamores tried to open up. Mainly Binnein Beag.

Ring of Steall-0057.jpg
Binnein Beag

It was now a looooooooooong way back down to the wire bridge.

Ring of Steall-0055.jpg

Before long i reached the summit of An Gearnach. Now my previous photos may suggest the weather was looking promising. Erm, not exactly. Just as I reached the summit, the clag rolled in and I would in it for pretty much the whole round. I met a guy called Adam from Liverpool at the top and we joined forces for the remainder of the round. It turned out that he'd done his first Munro earlier in the week, Ben Lomond. what a way to get 2,3,4 and 5 :D

Ring of Steall-0060.jpg
An Gearanach Summit

The scramble onto An Garbhanach is almost immediate upon leaving the Munro summit, and i must say it was an enjoyable wee scramble. We made our way down to the bealach, and shot up Stob Choire a'Charn.

Ring of Steall-0061.jpg
Stob Coire a'Charn

It was very windy here and bitterly cold. After consulting the map and compass, we found the correct descent path to the bealach for the next Munro. Although, naively we convinced ourselves that the top in between was Am Bodach :lol: However, I'd read frequently on here that the climb up it was brutal, and sure enough, 10 minutes later the REAL climb was upon us. This was tough going. I put the camera away as it was raining, damp and windy and slowly headed up. I was almost sick on 2 or 3 occasions. FINALLY we made it.

Ring of Steall-0064.jpg
Am Bodach

It was too cold to hang around the tops today so after a quick hello to the couple following us, we set off for the next top, and the start of the Devil's Ridge. We didn't take long to descend, then headed up Sgorr an Lubhair, a previous is it/isn't it munro. Again, no hanging about and we were off to the Devils Ridge.

No photos of this as it was P-ing down and the camera was staying bagged. The wind had also got pretty stiff to make it more interesting :lol: Despite the conditions, it was a cracking wee ridge, and there were no issues at the scrambly bit. I wish the weather had been better to get a decent shot of it.

All that remained was the slow plod up the final munro, Sgurr a'Mhaim, my 50th Munro since starting this addictive nonsense in May last year. I eventually (good god i'm unfit) made it to the massive summit cairn and took a wee stone as a memento (i know, i know). Stupidly I forgot to take a photo. So here is my late summit cairn shot :lol:

Ring of Steall-0088.jpg
50th Summit

All that remained was the long and unpleasant descent, firstly on wee bits of muddy, quartzite screen, then a bouldery steep, but good path down. After an eternity we dropped out of the clag to see we still had loads of descent to do.

Ring of Steall-0067.jpg
Glen Nevis

As a compensation, the weather was improving and the views were getting better all the time. Finally, we dropped down onto the main path back to the car park. finally, we endured the walk back to the cars to round off a truly excellent round of 4 cracking munros.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: A Wet Wander Round Ring of Steall

Postby aicadle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:04 am

Great report and some fantastic photos. We had intended to do this on Thursday but it was so wet, we didn't even attempt to drive up to Glen Nevis! Definitely on the cards for my next trip north though
aicadle
Munro compleatist

Munros:68   
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:09 am

aicadle wrote:Great report and some fantastic photos. We had intended to do this on Thursday but it was so wet, we didn't even attempt to drive up to Glen Nevis! Definitely on the cards for my next trip north though

There's been a fair old amount of rain recently I reckon. The lad i was walking with had tried to get up there the day before but couldn't cross at Steall Falls. It was an absolute torrent.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Scotjamie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Great report John. Really enjoyed the pics until the clag rolled in. We did the western 4 (going over Sgurr an Iubhair twice before it was demoted from munro status :? ) I do remember the descent from SaM went on forever after a full day on the ridge.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby flipside » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm

cracking report thanks for sharing , pics are awesome :clap:
flipside
Wanderer

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Fionas:6   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:33   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:18   Islands:23

Postby tina bonar » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Nice way to reach your 50,some great shooting as usual.Good job John boy!
Catch up with you at Kinlochleven
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:11 pm

flipside wrote:cracking report thanks for sharing , pics are awesome :clap:

Scotjamie wrote:Great report John. Really enjoyed the pics until the clag rolled in. We did the western 4 (going over Sgurr an Iubhair twice before it was demoted from munro status :? ) I do remember the descent from SaM went on forever after a full day on the ridge.

I was looking forward to the scenery when i got up there :lol:

Oh well, it'll keep for another time. The shot i most wanted was looking back along Devil's Ridge, but couldn't see any of it at all. Fantastic stretch though.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Great report & photo's as usual John :clap: :clap:

You were very brave to remove your boots & paddle, maybe that's what I should have done before starting to climb Beinn Ime yesterday, there has certainly been some rain in the west :( I was up to my knees in water & that was on a grassy bit :roll:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Great report & photo's as usual John :clap: :clap:

You were very brave to remove your boots & paddle, maybe that's what I should have done before starting to climb Beinn Ime yesterday, there has certainly been some rain in the west :( I was up to my knees in water & that was on a grassy bit :roll:

It was quite "refreshing". But trying not to slip on the boulders underwater was a bit of an effort :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Tomsie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Well done on the 50 :clap:
Heres hoping for views in November
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Tomsie wrote:Well done on the 50 :clap:

Thanks mate.

I'm hoping for three nice, calm, clear crisp days. What are the odds? :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Tomsie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:52 pm

jupe1407 wrote:
Tomsie wrote:Well done on the 50 :clap:

Thanks mate.

I'm hoping for three nice, calm, clear crisp days. What are the odds? :lol:

Slim I would think
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby scooby0511 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Good report and lovely photographs Jupe.
scooby0511
Munro compleatist

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3

Postby MG1976 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi John,
Another great report.
As usual, some fabulous photographs to accompany the enjoyable read.
Also, congratulations on hitting the 50-mark.

See you at the WH meet in November.
Martin
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5

Postby EvanandEarth » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:06 pm

LOL at obtaining your 'Hill Pass'. Lucky guy!

Definitely a route that edges towards the top section of my list - not quite sure about THAT wire bridge crossing though! (Is there a shuttle and bag carrying service!? ;))

Good report and pics, Happy 50th by the way.
EvanandEarth
Scrambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland