walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stumbling around Starav

Stumbling around Starav

Postby basscadet » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 05/10/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1566m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So this weekend, we had thought we might have a stab at finishing off the Etive ridge, after our unfortunate, weather inspired retreat earlier in the year.. :eh:
We arrived at our usual spot in Glen Etive on Friday night, to find extra streams that hadn’t been there previously – could see a fair bit of rain had fallen earlier that day! :D Despite persistent drizzle, the pitch spot was still firm when we got down there, and the midges really are getting fewer and farther between, so happy days! :thumbup:
I had limited success with my ploy to get Dougie out of his bed early on Saturday for the long day ahead, but we did get going, and it looked like the clouds were clearing and some of the blue stuff was visible in ever sizeable pockets. 8)

Starav.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Down the track and round the boggy path round the houses.. :roll: Wasn’t as bad as I remembered it, but still nae nice to start the day with muddy feet.. We were soon at the bridge with the sign saying Kinlochetive bothy is closed.. Surely the sign would be better at the carpark, or is it just me? :wtf: The path beyond was boggy and when we started climbing up to the shoulder of Starav, pretty badly eroded too..

We almost took the wrong path up the glen and ended up taking a steep route uphill to regain the ridge.. :oops:

The sky had darkened and the return of the drizzle came, light at first, but increasing in intensity. :-? Couple this with the fact that Dougie didn’t seem to be able to get himself going and you have one mighty slow trudge!

That ascent seemed to go on forever, and the drizzle was the kind that finds its way into every gap in your clothing, and we got pretty well soaked through. :( We talked about going to the summit and straight back the same way it was so dreichit and horrible. :thumbdown:
After an endless trudge up an eroded path, we were finally up in the claggy boulderfields, which although a bit steeper, I actually find the going easier on that kind of ground. Dougie had got his mojo back too, so we seemed to get up the last couple of hundred metres of ascent quite quickly. :) We got up to the plateau at the lip of the corrie, absent mindedly tapping a cairn and the remains of a trig as we passed and found the summit further on for a photo.

We were being too regularly buffeted by an icy wind to stop for more than a few seconds. We had decided that we would maybe go on further to the bealach and get the path down the glen from there as it would be more sheltered. :problem:
The path down from there was steep, and bypassed a couple of sections that would have been such a fun scramble, but we were somewhat cold and wet and such fun was far from our minds.

We blindly followed the path off the ridge, expecting it to traverse round to the ridge further on, but it just kind of petered out.. :shock: At least the rain was easing a little.. We traversed round the boulder field back to the right ridge. I quite enjoyed all that boulder hopping, but Dougie slipped and got his leg trapped which looked a little bit sore. :(
Once down a bit, I saw a wee sheltered nook in the rocks that looked ideal for lunch. It wasn’t as sheltered as it looked though and still not dried out, we got awful cold in the 10 minutes it took to cram our lunch. We had all our winter gear on, but somehow it just wasn’t enough.. We also worked out that the first top on Starav had been the one.. :roll: Good job we are in the habit of touching every cairn we pass then :lol: With the rain off , and still feeling fresh legged, I suggested doing one of the other hills before making our descent – well ascent is definitely one way of warming up!
Dougie wasn’t up for going out to Beinn nan Aighenan, it was all clagged up anyways, but Glas Bheinn Mhor was clear, so we headed towards it, my numb sore toes easing eventually. I took lots of photos now it was clearing, but couldn’t understand why my camera seemed to be capturing imaginary clag, only to find a bit later that there was a thin veil of condensation over the lens :lol: What a doofus!

It looked like a fair distance but seemed like an easy tromp up over the minor top and out to the Summit.

Clag was coming and going as it was still quite blustery, but managed to get some good views. Time was getting on though, so we descended toward the same bealach we had made our hasty retreat from, just a few months ago. Quite a nice section of rocky ridge further down near the coll. :-D The path down the glen was beautiful further up, such bonny streams falling over broken rocks and huge slabs,

but this deteriorated into a boggy quagmire that required eyes down constantly.. We got to a branch in the path – do we take the short but less well formed path across back to the house? Or follow the river round? The answer was neither.. we ended up in a muddy rut, falling over repatedly in the thigh deep grass. :lol: Light was fading fast but we knew it wasn't far back to the car. A good legstretch, but not the best day we have ever had on the hill.. They can't all be gems I guess.. :-D
Overnight, the rain and wind were crazy enough that we both woke up at 3, I made crumble and custard and we tried to stem the leaks and talked about at what stage we would bail to the car - stormy, stormy night! :shock: It did ease, but in the morning Dougie woke up with a migraine that ended up putting an early halt to the weekends walking. What a mediocre weekend.. If you have managed to stay awake long enough to read this far, you deserve a medal :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Stumbling around Starav

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:28 am

Ah, BC - you don't get the best of weather when you go to Glen Etive, do you? I remember the last escapade you had there with stormy conditions too. Shame, cos there's some great hills there (when you can see them)

Intrigued by you making crumble and custard at 3am :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby riverlodge » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:40 am

sounds like a 'standard conditions' autumn walk. definitely been there when everything tells you to turn back and for whatever odd reason you just carry on.
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

Postby basscadet » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:53 am

weaselmaster wrote:Ah, BC - you don't get the best of weather when you go to Glen Etive, do you? I remember the last escapade you had there with stormy conditions too. Shame, cos there's some great hills there (when you can see them)

Intrigued by you making crumble and custard at 3am :lol:

Och, I always have had a bad weather faerie on my shoulder.. :?

I fell asleep after dinner, and I think Dougie was slightly disgruntled at having to wait so long for his pudding :lol: Apparently it was the third time he had woken up, hoping I would be awake too.. :roll:

riverlodge wrote:sounds like a 'standard conditions' autumn walk. definitely been there when everything tells you to turn back and for whatever odd reason you just carry on.

Och just frustrating because it looked like such a bonny day to start with... :? I still prefer a day like that, to the scorching temperatures we had over the summer, its the fading light that is the most depressing thing at this time of year.. and just a few weeks until the clocks change now :(
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby mgmt! » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:02 pm

[quote="basscadet"]

I fell asleep after dinner, and I think Dougie was slightly disgruntled at having to wait so long for his pudding :lol: Apparently it was the third time he had woken up, hoping I would be awake too.. :roll:

Absolutely brilliant !!!
What a very polite and thoughtful guy you have there bc, think I would have scoffed the lot.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:15 pm

Did the Starav three in scorching heat and ended up badly dehydrated!
Great and 'eventful' report as always BC ...very impressed how anyone can get phrases like crumble and custard, dreichit and doofus, and Dougie's mojo into a single WH report!! :)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby basscadet » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:20 pm

mgmt! wrote:Absolutely brilliant !!!
What a very polite and thoughtful guy you have there bc, think I would have scoffed the lot.

Maybe he would of scoffed the lot, if my slumber position would of allowed him access to the stove.. Eating raw custard powder probably isn't that good :lol:

Last trip in this neck of the woods, I fell asleep whilst cooking pudding, awoke to a disgusting smell, and ended up having tospend a good hour, scraping melted plastic from the base of our cooking pot :? Surprisingly, I was still able to put together a decent pudding that night, out of the meagre supplies we had left.. Think it was a similar time when we ate dessert that night too :lol:

Scotjamie wrote:Did the Starav three in scorching heat and ended up badly dehydrated!
Great and 'eventful' report as always BC ...very impressed how anyone can get phrases like crumble and custard, dreichit and doofus, and Dougie's mojo into a single WH report!! :)

Glad you enjoyed it :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland