walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Criese & Meall a'Bhuiridh - The Hangover, Pt1

Criese & Meall a'Bhuiridh - The Hangover, Pt1

Postby GillC » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 29/09/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1110m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having joined Scoob and Fiona for their compleation Munro yesterday on Stob Dearg, a Clachaig based plan was hatched to join, Bod, Val and Tomsie on these 2 hills.

I had set out to climb these a couple of years ago with a friend,,who turned up with a rope, giving me palpitations at the time. Unfortunately, (or maybe not!) the clag was at ground level, and as we could barely see the ski centre never mind any higher, ended up on a day out in Oban lol.

After a fantastic day yesterday, the wind had whipped up overnight and there was a shade of doubt about doing this under the influence of BEER, but after chucking my camping gear back into the car and leaving the Red Squirrel, we met up at the ski centre around 10am. Wind dropping, cloud, negligible so all well (except for the hangovers)

We headed straight up under the chairlift on a fairly steep, rocky path. We had discussed the rights and wrongs of using the lift, but obviously we all tut-tutted the very thought of using it to gain any height, so looked on as various mountain bikers used it to wend their way up hill before careering back down again.
Val checking out the day ahead.jpg
Val checking out the day ahead

Which way now.jpg
Which way now?

As we climbed, a path cuts off to the right, towards Creag Dubh and another slightly to the left, we followed this and carried on up over the boggy section and on up to Cliffhanger Chairlift, a small building at the start of the next section of lift that takes ski/bike peeps over Meall a’Bhuiridh. We continued our steep boggy climb up with the summit ahead and the ridge of Creise opening out on our right. We had tremendous views over to Stob Dearg, Val Bod and John had all ascended this yesterday via Curved Ridge which was clearly visible.

The terrain changed and we were soon picking our way over rocks and scree, up towards the top with the sun shining over. I could hear voices above me but could see nothing but full sun.
A bad case of retinal burn lol.jpg
Retinal burn alert!

A rocky 'sub' summit of a Bhuiridh.jpg
Sub summit of a' Bhuiridh

Picked my way up through the rubbly stuff to a well earned wee sit down, drink and a sarny. We weren’t far off the top now,,bit more of the rocky stuff and hey presto.

As we got to the top of a’Bhuiridh (1108mtrs), the whole ridge opened up. TOTESAMAZEBALLS!!! Sums it up. Several others there, one asking about a return path on our ascent, think they may have come up from Etive.
Top of a Bhuiridh with Creise ridge behind.jpg
Top of a Bhuiridh with Creise ridge behind

Stob Dearg from a Bhuiridh.jpg
Stob Dearg from a'Bhuiridh

Absolutely fantastic rocky scene, with hills opening out as far as you could see in every direction. THIS is what it’s all about.

We knew that the route we were on meant reclimbing a’Bhuiridh for the return,,up until now, that didn’t seem too much of an ordeal but as we climbed off the back and down the now rock and scree covered Westerly face, the thought of reclaiming this was, well,,thought provoking lol Although, fab day, no rain, bit of gusty wind, whats to complain about?

Looking over Coire an Easain to the Clach Leathad ridge with the blue skies and hills beyond made the whole hill look enormous. Down to our right a huge ravine was cut into the floor of Cam Ghleann, didn’t fancy that as a return route. Over our left shoulders we could see Rannoch Moor with the lochans shining in the sun.
Down over the ski centre and over Rannoch Moor.jpg
Down over the ski centre and over Rannoch Moor

I was having a slow day so often found myself a way back from the rest , hopefully it wasn’t too annoying for them. The views gave me lots of excuses to stop, take a pic or grab a breath.

At the low point under the ridge, we looked across to the 3 summits of Creise, the left one definitely looked higher,,but according to all sources, the middle one took the credit by 1 mtr. We had considered taking in both but after clambering up the big rocks to the Leathad ridge, we opted for the official top only. Some of the boulders up to the ridge were pretty big,,good stretch of the legs lol

A climber coming down warned us about the wind at the top and he wasn’t wrong. It was too mild/warm to layer up when climbing but as soon as we reached the top, extra layers required, then off over the ridge to the summit cairn. (1100mtrs)
A very windy summit on Creise.jpg
Very windy summit of Creise

Bidean in the distance from Creise.jpg
Bidean from Creise

A quick debate about tops, routes, recorded heights etc and a consensus made that we had reached the true top,, confirmed by a chap who arrived just after us too, so there!

The views from here, back over Meall a'Bhuiridh brought home what we had to re-do before our descent.
Been there, done that,,and have to do it again.jpg
Been there, done that,,and have to do it again

One seriously big rocky thing, just your typical big hulk of highland stuff. So, pictures taken, loins girded,,off we went. Passed another couple of guys on the ascent to the ridge on our way down over the big boulders and later watched them going through the motions of deciding which was the real summit lol.

Back to a'Bhuiridh and off down again. We decided this time to skirt left on the way down, keeping high of the water at the foot of Creag Dubh but eventually, just headed over and down to the first of the ski huts. Crossing the wee bridge again and we had a last descent down under the chairlift. My knees were beginning to twinge a bit here, not bad but one to watch. Some of yesterdays WH peeps were in the car park and half a plan was made to meet up in Crianlarich for a spot of dinner, but they headed off and we all decided not to bother lol..

So, Munros 39 & 40 for me, and having spent 2 days in the company of WH peeps, a little voice far far back in my head, started to question "could I possibly finish all 282?, could I?" who knows, im not even sure im happy that im thinking that way,...CURSES WH PEEPS CURSES!!!!!

http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/gfc3004/library/Creise?sort=3&page=1
Last edited by GillC on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Criese & Meall a'Bhuiridh

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 pm

nice one Gill, you`re fairly getting through them now, no reason why you can`t compleat
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby GillC » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks Tomyboy,,im hatching a kind of half cocked plan to compleat in April 2017,,for my half century birthday lol who knows,,242 to do in 3 and a half years,,,possible?,,,yeah,,why the heck not! :lol:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 pm

GillC wrote:Thanks Tomyboy,,im hatching a kind of half cocked plan to compleat in April 2017,,for my half century birthday lol who knows,,242 to do in 3 and a half years,,,possible?,,,yeah,,why the heck not! :lol:

well if you`ve got the time to do it , your half way there ! surely you mean 2027 ? :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby GillC » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:17 pm

Hahahaha Im thinking ..Cheeky git,,,saying it'll take me 13 yrs lol then I realised you were only being a gentlemen,,of course,,I AM only 36,,,this site got it wrong lol
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby Tomsie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Nice report Gill :clap: enjoyed reading that. :D
Of course you'll get them done looking forward to the party :lol:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby GillC » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:21 pm

Ayeeee,,was a fab day John,,do you remember it or is it all still a hazy beer stained memory? lol :lol:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:34 pm

GillC wrote:Hahahaha Im thinking ..Cheeky git,,,saying it'll take me 13 yrs lol then I realised you were only being a gentlemen,,of course,,I AM only 36,,,this site got it wrong lol

lol
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Tomsie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 pm

GillC wrote:Ayeeee,,was a fab day John,,do you remember it or is it all still a hazy beer stained memory? lol :lol:

It aint easy, ill be tee total at Kinlochleven :?
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby GillC » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Tomsie wrote:
It aint easy, ill be tee total at Kinlochleven :?

haha,,,Im considering staying off the hard stuff until the Saturday night,,,get the best out of the first 2 days with a fresh head,,,(best laid schemes o mice and men lol )
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby Bod » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:48 am

Yes, cracking report there and a good read. Valerie and fair enjoyed our walk with yourself and Tomsie, it really was a great day for it ending a fantastic weekend :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland