walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bennachie (Oxen Craig), Mither Tap and Millstone Hill

Bennachie (Oxen Craig), Mither Tap and Millstone Hill

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:52 pm

Route description: Bennachie: Oxen Craig and Mither Tap

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bennachie (Oxen Craig), Millstone Hill

Date walked: 06/10/2013

Distance: 13.8 km

Ascent: 775m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

One of the reasons for climbing these hills was that my daughter was running in the Bennachie Hill race in the afternoon which started at 1400hrs, so there was no reason to rush as there was always going to be plenty of waiting time involved, but it was a clear and reasonably bright day yet windy on top although not cold which would be fine for sitting about waiting for the runners to come into view. I left the Bennachie visitors centre to the East of Mither Tap at 0915hrs and walked along the wooded trail towards Mither Tap and branched off on another forestry track between Mither Tap and Millstone Hill as I was to be climbing Millsone Hill first

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Wooded trail
2.JPG
Passing some forestry operations as I go
3.JPG
On my right I can see the very distinctive shape of Mither Tap come into view. I take various turnings on the track basically heading towards Millstone Hill and find a path from a turning area which takes me ont another parked marked Bennachie Donview, take a left turn onto this path and it continues up Millstone Hill. All paths are good for walking.
4.JPG
Looking back to MT from the path up Millstone Hill
5.JPG
A lot of the wetter areas have sleepers with mesh fitted on top to prevent slips
6.JPG
Mither Tap from the summit of Millstone Hill
7.JPG
View back to Millstone Hill from the path going up the South of Mither Tap. If you have a brochure from the visitor centre the path is coloured Pink and is numbered 9
8.JPG
Looking up to the summit of MT from path
9.JPG
View NW from the summit of MT looking towards my next destination Craigshannoch
10.JPG
Summit view East
12.JPG
Looking down to the top of the path from the Visitors centre to MT
13.JPG
Top of path in more detail with Drystane Dykes either side of the well built pathway
14.JPG
MT from the summit cairn of Craigshannoch
15.JPG
View to Bennachie (Oxen Craig) from the summit of Little Oxen Craig
16.JPG
MT from Little Oxen Craig
17.JPG
Oxen Craig from Little Oxen Craig
18.JPG
Path to the summit of Oxen Craig
19.JPG
View Indicator on top of Oxen Craig
20.JPG
Mither Tap
21.JPG
Later on in the afternoon waiting for the runners to appear.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Bennachie (Oxen Craig), Mither Tap and Millstone Hill

Postby macq23 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:32 pm

A nice area for walking....even with the everlasting choices of paths available :crazy:
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi Rod

Hope you enjoyed it - with it being a sunday I was expecting to see more people about but I suppose it was a reasonably early start. I wish I had realised the hills could be walked together rather than starting from the north of Bennachie and driving over to Millstone.

How did your daughter get on??
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby heatheronthehills » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:19 pm

This is my home territory, or rather it was until I moved to Conon Bridge a couple of months ago. Lovely to see your pics of your day out. These hills are ingrained in my memory so well....many happy hours spent wandering around. You mention drystone dykes at the Mither Tap, but they are part of an old iron age hill fort. Its amazing to think of people actually living at the Mither Tap all those years ago....I guess the vantage point was pretty good :wink:
Our local 'hill' is now Ben Wyvis....it's a bit more of a climb to reach the summit :lol:
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:42 pm

macq23 wrote:A nice area for walking....even with the everlasting choices of paths available :crazy:

Hi there macq23, some great trails up there, as you say just so many to explore, just a pity Carnoustie has nothing like that!! :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod

Hope you enjoyed it - with it being a sunday I was expecting to see more people about but I suppose it was a reasonably early start. I wish I had realised the hills could be walked together rather than starting from the north of Bennachie and driving over to Millstone.

Hi Gordie, wonderful hills these, glad it was a fine day, the wind was warm, not like today!, bitter or what. Looking better for the West coast thi s weekend though, going up the Ben.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:53 pm

heatheronthehills wrote:This is my home territory, or rather it was until I moved to Conon Bridge a couple of months ago. Lovely to see your pics of your day out. These hills are ingrained in my memory so well....many happy hours spent wandering around. You mention drystone dykes at the Mither Tap, but they are part of an old iron age hill fort. Its amazing to think of people actually living at the Mither Tap all those years ago....I guess the vantage point was pretty good :wink:
Our local 'hill' is now Ben Wyvis....it's a bit more of a climb to reach the summit :lol:

Hi heather, you have been quiet for a wee while, not seen a report. These are wonderful hills, I fancy having a local playground like that :D Glad you corrected me re the old fort, I suppose the higher up you were the safer you were, but they must of been a hardy lot. I assumed and assumed wrong about Dry Stane dykes, ever since I took a course a couple of months ago, good fun, but hard work! but I survived it :lol: I need to go up Little Wyvis and also i, think there are other additional tops I still have to do. At least you still have lots of hills beside you, which is great.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:27 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:

Hi Gordie, wonderful hills these, glad it was a fine day, the wind was warm, not like today!, bitter or what. Looking better for the West coast thi s weekend though, going up the Ben.

Looks like I'm heading West as well (tomorrow) but still not sure exactly where - I need to decide soon!!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:

Looks like I'm heading West as well (tomorrow) but still not sure exactly where - I need to decide soon!!!

She was 5th overall, I think she overdid a training run the week before, something like 40 miles, legs had not really recovered, NO WONDER! Where you going I'm heading to Bunroy campsite at Roybridge but hope to do something en route, fancy meeting up? I'm doing the Ben Clean up on the Saturday.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Sorry Rod, I've been offline and just seen your post.

I'm doing the Creag Meagaidh circuit tomorrow, hoping to start at around 9am - too late to contact you now and arrange anything.

Next time!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:09 am

Gordie12 wrote:Sorry Rod, I've been offline and just seen your post.

I'm doing the Creag Meagaidh circuit tomorrow, hoping to start at around 9am - too late to contact you now and arrange anything.

Next time!!

Hell I was thinking the same, but I've slept in, so I think I would run out of daylight, cannot see me getting away until back of 0830hrs now, next time!
The Rodmiester
Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland