walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Lord's Seat Five

The Lord's Seat Five

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barf, Broom Fell, Graystones, Lord's Seat, Whinlatter

Date walked: 05/10/2013

Time taken: 6

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 796m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last weekend was our final chance for a while to get over to the Lakes for a walk so we headed for the Whinlatter Pass to bag the five Lord’s Seat fells. It was a fine if somewhat overcast as we set off along the forestry road past Darling How. The first mile or so couldn't be simpler for this round with a very gradual ascent on a surfaced road. Things took a dramatic change following this simple start however as we needed to get up a steep bank of forestry land to gain access to the open fellside. Some internet reports on other websites had great swathes of the trees on this fellside having been cleared, unfortunately much of it has been replanted and strong young saplings are sprouting up hindering progress. There are traces of a path next to a broken down wall but despite this we still had to force our way past some springy branches on our way up to the fence that marks the start of Whinlatter’s heathery upper slopes.

An Easy Start by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

On the way up Whinlatter by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

An initial attempt to cross the unstable fence almost ended in yours truly suffering a mischief :shock: so we continued further up and found the broken wall had been modified to provide a makeshift stile. The going was still quite arduous for a while as we made our way up the pathless heather that characterises this fell before we stumbled across a trod that took us up to the Wainwright top, Brown How. This isn't the highest point of Whinlatter but in AW's defence he did point out in the chapter devoted to this fell that the Eastern top looked higher despite what the ordinance survey showed on its maps of the era.

Hughie in the Heather by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

On the way up Brown How by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace and Hughie on Brown How by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Brown How on Whinlatter by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking up Hobcarton Gill by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We continued over the real top of Whinlatter before making our way back into the forestry land. Following a few inevitable wrong turns (is it only me that has bother in forestry land?) we made our way onto the boggiest section of the walk towards the truly bizarrely named Barf.
Barf, it turned out, was the highlight of the whole day with a quite magnificent summit view which we enjoyed for a while before retracing some of our steps on the boggy trudge to the high point of the day, the grandly named Lord’s Seat.

Lord's Seat catches some Sun by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Barf by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Basenthwaite by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking towards Derwent Water by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Causey Pike Mono by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

View from Barf by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Lords Seat with a strange adornment by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

It might be grandly named but it’s a fairly ordinary fell in all honesty. Today it was sporting an unusual device that was something to do with the cycling event to be held on the Sunday. From here the reward for our efforts was a nice easy stroll across the top of Broom Fell and a short ascent up to Graystones.

Broom Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking back at Lord's Seat by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grisdale Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

As with Brown How, Graystones isn't the high point of the fell but it’s certainly the best top with a cracking view across the Vale of Lorton. We admired this, enjoying the sunshine which was now unbroken, before heading down the very steep descent down to Scawgill Beck.

Grace, Nicola and Hughie on Graystones by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Vale of Lorton from Graystones by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Steeply down from Graystones by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Fields by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grisdale Pike across the Whinlatter Pass by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Following this toe crushing, knee shattering fun we followed the short diversion to see Spout Force. This is an impressive falls but the view point provided by the forestry commission leaves something to be desired with trees restricting the view somewhat. Better than Wainwrights day however where he reported being able to see the top few feet of the falls only.

Scawgill Beck by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

These fells are perhaps some of Lakelands most ignored hills with only Barf (understandably) having any real foot traffic during our visit (we saw only two other walkers on the other four fells combined). For those seeking a quiet day they have considerable merit however it’s difficult not to have your eyes wander to the defined ridges and lofty summits across the Whinlatter pass to realise just why you might be alone.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: The Lord's Seat Five

Postby clivegrif » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 pm

That looks a lovely day out, the views are terrific. This is not an area I have been to, but it definitely looks worthwhile.

....oh, and by the way, your pictures are okay as well.... (serious envy creeping in here - why can't I take pictures like that....) :lol:
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby Ibex » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Glad to see that others are envious of your photographic skills.
The photo's make it look really sunny and warm, but I seriously doubt that was the case. Hope its still like that next week, as I hope to get up there and do a bit of walking myself...............just got to convince the wife its a good idea now. Ahem.

Hughie looks so happy in the heather there.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby colgregg » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:25 am

It's a pleasant little stroll apart from the tramp through the forested bits. It's a pity about the restricted view of Spout Force. The F.C. make it seem spectacular, car park named after it, good path from Scawgill Bridge to the viewing point only to find it, as you did, obscured by trees, I was very underwhelmed. We even ventured up the ravine but getting a pic was tricky.
P1030534 (1024x768).jpg
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:17 pm

clivegrif wrote:That looks a lovely day out, the views are terrific. This is not an area I have been to, but it definitely looks worthwhile.

....oh, and by the way, your pictures are okay as well.... (serious envy creeping in here - why can't I take pictures like that....) :lol:

Thanks Clive :thumbup:

Ibex wrote:Glad to see that others are envious of your photographic skills.
The photo's make it look really sunny and warm, but I seriously doubt that was the case. Hope its still like that next week, as I hope to get up there and do a bit of walking myself...............just got to convince the wife its a good idea now. Ahem.

Hughie looks so happy in the heather there.

It wasn't too bad at all, quite a nice temperature for walking. Not sure the weathers been too good this weekend, hopefully you'll get up to the Lakes soon.

colgregg wrote:It's a pleasant little stroll apart from the tramp through the forested bits. It's a pity about the restricted view of Spout Force. The F.C. make it seem spectacular, car park named after it, good path from Scawgill Bridge to the viewing point only to find it, as you did, obscured by trees, I was very underwhelmed. We even ventured up the ravine but getting a pic was tricky.
P1030534 (1024x768).jpg

I've seen a canny pic from the ravine before but who ever took it must have put the work in because they are very close to the falls. I nearly got lynched by Grace and Nicola for dragging them along for not alot :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby colgregg » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:59 pm

My pic from the ravine. I must admit I was very careful and my brother even more so as he had ÂŁ300 camera in hand as we negotiated our way. Typically it's spoilt by the foreground of all the debris thats been washed down by floodwater.
P1030535 (768x1024).jpg
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:11 pm

I enjoyed your report and some lovely views :D
We've attempted to get to Spout Force from the top car park but found it was better walking from the bottom one by the bridge.
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:51 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:I enjoyed your report and some lovely views :D
We've attempted to get to Spout Force from the top car park but found it was better walking from the bottom one by the bridge.

Thanks Susie :D The path from the bridge was certainly a bit better than the one named car park which as quite over grown, had some very tasty brambles however :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland