walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Return to the Cairnwell Trio

Return to the Cairnwell Trio

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:50 am

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 12/10/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.1 km

Ascent: 678m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd done a quick round of the Cairnwell munros a few months back, and hadn't really envisaged doing them again, even though I hadn't found them to be nearly as bad as i'd heard or expected. However, with my other half now getting the walking bug, and keen to get some practice in before the Kinlochleven Meet, we decided to head back there for an easy triple bag and a doubling of her munro count. Additionally the forecast was excellent, which always helps :lol:

We arrived at the Ski Centre Car Park around 9am, and after some faffing around etc, we set off at about 9:30am. I'd previously done these anti-clockwise from Carn Aosda, so fancied a wee change. Slightly steeper up the Cairnwell, but a gentler descent of Aosda. We headed for the Cairnwell Resturant then just cut off and headed straight up one of the ski runs. After a steep and occasionally wet mini-slog, we reached the snow fence at the top of the ski run. It was a cracker of a day.

Cainrwell Hills-0001.jpg
A battle-scarred Carn Aosda

Cainrwell Hills-0002.jpg
North Glen Shee

It's been said before here, but the high-level start does make these hills really easy to ascend. After that short ascent from the restaurant, this is what was left to get to the summit.

Cainrwell Hills-0014.jpg
Cairnwell Summit

In hardly any time at all, we arrived at the "interesting" summit area. The weather was tremendous, with a cool breeze, and the views were fine.

Cainrwell Hills-0018.jpg
AnneJ on summit hut/cairn combination

Cainrwell Hills-0029.jpg
South Glen Shee

After a wee daunder about the summit area, we decided to have a quick bite to eat, then headed back down to the bealach and started to cut across towards Carn a'Gheoidh, skirting Creag a'Choire Dhirich. After a wee while (and a few photo stops, we arrived at the short pull up to Carn a'Gheoidh's summit plateau.

Cainrwell Hills-0051.jpg
AnneJ at Carn a'Gheoidh's summit

This is my favourite of the three hills here, nice and remote, and well away from the scarring of the ski developments. We sat and had lunch here, enjoying the views of Beinn a'Ghlo, Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Right and Beinn Lutharn Mor. The High 'Gorms looked promising for some photos later on as well.

Cainrwell Hills-0057.jpg
Beinn a'Ghlo range

Cainrwell Hills-0058.jpg
Glas Tulaichean

Cainrwell Hills-0065.jpg
Distant Peaks

After a wee while here, we were started to get a bit cold, so decided to track back and finish the circuit. The weather was terrific, and out of the wind it was like the middle of summer.

Cainrwell Hills-0046.jpg
Mount Blair

Cainrwell Hills-0078.jpg
View back to Carn a'Gheoidh

A nice meander back to the snow fence and we took the main path up to Carn Aosda. The views from the summit were tremendous, with Ben MacDui and co looking especially fine.

Cainrwell Hills-0108.jpg
AnneJ at Carn Aosda's Summit

Cainrwell Hills-0096.jpg
Ben MacDui, Carn a'Mhaim and Derry Cairngorm

Cainrwell Hills-0097.jpg
Devil's Point to Braeriach

Cainrwell Hills-0101.jpg
Beinn a'Bhuird?

We stayed here a good while, it really was a cracker of a day. Eventually though, we dragged ourselves back down the easy and straightforward decent path.

Cainrwell Hills-0090.jpg
Last Look at The Cairnwell

Cainrwell Hills-0082.jpg
Wildlife

We were soon back at the car park (sort walk outs are excellent) and away home for some well deserved scran and a cuppy. All in all, a terrific day.

One final question, has the Ski Area become a dumping ground for a series of awful pieces of art work? The statues are weird enough, but is that silver pipe thing on the car park side a piece of artwork, or some seriously left-field plumbing?

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Return to the Cairnwell Trio

Postby PeteR » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:52 am

Some superb photos jupe :D Especially those back to the main plateau :D

I actually enjoy these three, despite the carnage on the Cairnwell. Glad you had such great weather for your return visit :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:59 am

PeteR wrote:Some superb photos jupe :D Especially those back to the main plateau :D

I actually enjoy these three, despite the carnage on the Cairnwell. Glad you had such great weather for your return visit :D

Thanks mate. Yeah i quite like them as well. The Ski developments are a mess, but i love the remote feeling of Carn a'Gheoidh. It's a nice stroll out there and back as well. Also gave me a nice view of Glas T and Carn an Righ etc. Would like to get a couple of those done this year.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby AnneJ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks a lot to my guide for the day :D I'll not bore everyone with another walk report of the same thing (and it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining a read as this one) but if you want to see my photos of the day you can view them on my facebook page here ..... https://www.facebook.com/AnneJohnstonPhotography
AnneJ

Postby laconic surf » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Great photos as always JP.
I saw feck all when I did these 3, mind you, when it came to the Cairnwell this was probably not such as bad thing as half the crap left up there was lost in the clag :lol:

image.jpg
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:58 pm

laconic surf wrote:Great photos as always JP.
I saw feck all when I did these 3, mind you, when it came to the Cairnwell this was probably not such as bad thing as half the crap left up there was lost in the clag :lol:

image.jpg

Bloody hell Lucas! Impressive clag there! It's a midden of a summit.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Great photos, it was a cracking day yesterday and I think we might have past you? I think I recognise the lady with the camera. I was with my sister and we had out dog with us.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Great photos, it was a cracking day yesterday and I think we might have past you? I think I recognise the lady with the camera. I was with my sister and we had out dog with us.

Was that on the way up/down Carn Aosda? Yeah i remember that!

Yesterday was a terrific day :-)
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland