walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spectres and sniffles: The Ben Lui 4 with a cold

Spectres and sniffles: The Ben Lui 4 with a cold

Postby SMRussell » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss

Date walked: 12/10/2013

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 28.1 km

Ascent: 1947m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

LuiOss4_12_10_13.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It had been some time since RTMcB and I had indulged in a Munro bagging session – 3 months to be exact – so we were long due an outing. The forecast for the weekend was looking lush and couldn’t be passed up. So after a quick skim over WH and a few Munro books RTMcB was keen to head up Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich. However I fancied a bigger challenge and suggested doing the four Ben Lui Munros. RTMcB wasn’t sure about my suggestion as my fitness levels had dropped off in our 3 month absence from the hills and I was (and still am) suffering a stinking cold. But I wasn’t backing down and RTMcB soon agreed.

We set off from Glasgow at 07.00 in the cold and dark and headed North. It wasn’t long before I realised my cold was going to be an issue and I sat in the car wrapped up in a blanket sniffling all the way to Dalrigh – but I wasn’t going to pull the plug, Munros had to be bagged!

We arrived at the car park at Dalrigh at 08.30 and began walking by 08.40. Signs clearly point the way towards Ben Lui who came into sight pretty quickly. The view to Ben Lui from the Cononish Farm road is an absolute cracker and adding to the charm of our walk in was the sight of a large stag who ran across our path heading in the direction of Creag Bhocan. ‘The Stags’ were putting on a long and loud rendition of their smash hit ‘Please take my seed’ which we heard on an off all day.

We were soon at the foot of the main ascent for BL and I stupidly attempted to bolt up at my usual speed – bad idea when your fitness isn’t 100% and you’ve got a cold! Minus a few pit stops we made it to the summit in good time and the effort was rewarded with our first ever brocken spectre! After taking a few quick snaps we left the summit for a much needed Scotch egg break. Fuelled up we began heading for the baby of the bunch, Beinn a'Chleibh. Looking West the view to Ben Cruachan, Stob Diamh, Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich from Beinn a'Chleibh was sublime. Before heading on RTMcB, my cold and I took a short lie down on a nice flat slab of rock and soaked up the ambiance.

After our wee break we soon headed back to the bealach and then began the plod towards Ben Oss. The ascent up Ben Oss was quick although my cold wasn’t quitting and the final push to the top was quite draining for me. Thankfully we bumped into a group on the summit, one of which was celebrating his completion and in good spirits offered RTMcB and I a dram. Thank you and congrats again if you’re reading this!

The view to Ben Lui from Ben Oss is gorgeous and made up for my weariness. After another rest it was the final push to Beinn Dubhchraig. On route we bumped into some guys from the group we met on Oss. The guys were impressed that we were tackling all four hills and gave us a miniature bottle of Jack Daniels! I think he thought we would need it more than him! Thanks again if you’re reading this. I was feeling the pain on the final ascent and increasingly angry that what should have been a very easy ascent felt like hard work but our final summit was soon bagged. A few quick snaps and we began heading back down aiming to meet River Cononish at the bridge near Cononish farm. To get me down our final descent popped a few ibuprofen and pushed on. About eight deer past in front of us as we descended – a final treat.

Once across the bridge we retraced our steps back towards Dalrigh. All talk turned to where we would get a bite to eat on route back to Glasgow and we opted for the Village Rest in Luss – which if you're ever there is a great wee eatery. Fed and watered we continued on to Glasgow with me wrapped back up in a blanket sniffling all the way home. Lo and behold I feel dreadful today. Do I have any regrets? None. Great day in the hills, well worth the wait.

12.10.13 A550 6 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 12 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 13 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 22 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 23 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 28 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 33 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 38 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 40 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 41 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 49 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 50 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 53 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 55 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 59 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr

12.10.13 A550 63 by TheRussellWithTheMuscle, on Flickr
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Spectres and sniffles: The Ben Lui 4 with a cold

Postby pigeon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Superb,what a great pic of the spectre :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby laconic surf » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Well done on carrying on despite not being 100%, especially getting all four done - it's a tough day even in top form. The dalrigh approach is the only way to do Lui IMHO. Those that approach it from the north have no idea what they are missing, it really only shows it's true beauty from the other side.
Great spectre, well caught. Still waiting for my first one :?
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby SMRussell » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:06 pm

pigeon wrote:Superb,what a great pic of the spectre :wink:

Cheers Pigeon - I must confess to a wee bitty of tweaking in Lightroom :wink:

laconic surf wrote:Well done on carrying on despite not being 100%, especially getting all four done - it's a tough day even in top form. The dalrigh approach is the only way to do Lui IMHO. Those that approach it from the north have no idea what they are missing, it really only shows it's true beauty from the other side.
Great spectre, well caught. Still waiting for my first one :?
thanks - felt like packing the walk in after Munro mark two of the day but persevered. You're right about the approach Ben Lui is a stunner from the right angle. Keep your eyes peeled for a spectre, they're a special sight - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
SMRussell

Postby EvanandEarth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:49 pm

Stunning weather, stunning views, stunning pics.

And all with a cold - hardcore!

Well done :)
EvanandEarth
Scrambler

Postby SMRussell » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:03 am

EvanandEarth wrote:Stunning weather, stunning views, stunning pics.

And all with a cold - hardcore!

Well done :)

Cheers, Evan :D The weather was as close as you can get to perfect for Autumn.

It may sound hardcore but ask my partner, RTMcB, and he'll probably tell you I looked like sniffling pitiable ball of pain! :lol:
SMRussell

Postby bigal231273 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 am

Great stuff ,I have been wanting to do that walk for months,u might just have gave myself food for thought to do it next Saturday ,hope the cold feels better ,wee lost a couple of people due to illness half way round the 5 sisters on Saturday ( they only made it half way ) so as I said ,well done
bigal231273
Mountain Walker

Munros:219   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:40 am

Great pictures :D
Saturday was a Spectre Day - we saw a few on South Glen Shiel ridge... Though every time I got camera out, they faded.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:33 pm

As good a Brocken Spectre photo as I have seen on here I think! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby SMRussell » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:11 am

bigal231273 wrote:Great stuff ,I have been wanting to do that walk for months,u might just have gave myself food for thought to do it next Saturday ,hope the cold feels better ,wee lost a couple of people due to illness half way round the 5 sisters on Saturday ( they only made it half way ) so as I said ,well done

Glad to have inspired. Our route was quite long at 28.1km. I think you can shorten it by coming from the Glen Lochay side but then you'd miss out on the views to Ben Lui's North East facing face which would be a shame.

As for the cold - it is certainly doing the rounds at the moment. RTMcB has started sneezing and sniffling now as well.

BlackPanther wrote:Great pictures :D
Saturday was a Spectre Day - we saw a few on South Glen Shiel ridge... Though every time I got camera out, they faded.

Thanks BP :D We had been given a heads-up from a man we passed coming off the summit as we were heading to it so we had our eyes peeled and I thankfully had the camera in my hands when RTMcB spotted it.

Graeme D wrote:As good a Brocken Spectre photo as I have seen on here I think! :clap:

Thank you kindly, Graeme. Very pleased to have caught it :D
SMRussell

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland