walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Letter from Nam

Letter from Nam

Postby laconic surf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:23 am

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 11/10/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1498m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Special weather demands special mountains. With MWIS not even bothering to put a percentage up just a statement that summits would be clear, it was time to head to Glencoe and take on the beast, Bidean nam Bian.
Setting off at 8am, it was chilly in the glen but the sun was on its way already coating the top of nearby peaks. The sisters of Glencoe looking particularly striking.

The path up was good and we soon warmed up, stopping occasionally to look at the Aonach Eagach ridge towering up behind us.

The waterfalls alongside the path were just beautiful and the pools they emptied into were tempting even on a cold October morning :D

Soon the peaks ahead came into view and the pointy top of Stob Coire nan Lochan. Arriving under its buttresses was jaw dropping and we stopped here for a while to admire our surroundings. The view behind us was just as spectacular as we could now see over the AE ridge to the mamores.

AE ridge with Nevis and CMD to the left, a snow capped Aonach Mor and Beag with the Ring of Steall on the far right

After this stop we headed right and began to make our way up the flank of Stob Coire nan Lochan. The Beinn a'Bheithir ridge and Loch Leven looking spectacular in the morning sun.

Time to ascend the boulder strewn Stob Coire nan Lochan. This was quite a challenge as many of the rocks were ice covered and loose underfoot. Coupled with the sun shining right in our eyes we had to inch our way up, the route finding is quite a challenge, particularly half blind :roll:
We passed some amazing gullies and it was difficult to keep our minds on our footing with such amazing drop and views to both sides.

We ended up traversing round the peak rather than going over the top. Part the way along, as either leg is stretched over a protruding rock with the abyss below me, i'm thinking to myself I don't remember reading anything about a prolonged exposed scramble :lol: Whoops. Best to stick to the route over the summit next time. This picture shows the route we took. Not advisable :wink:

With some relief we reached the bealach between here and Bidean only for me to look down and see my gps that was hooked on to my bag belt was missing :( Having done this 2 weeks ago on An Stuc I should have known better. Looking back I had to have a quick look and see if I could see it but didn't want to put either myself or Balgonie at risk by scrambling back over the icy rocks. It could be anywhere along the route or even 3000 ft below. Shuffling partly back along the way with no sign of it I was about to give it up when something compelled me to take two more steps. There it was lying between two boulders :D Overjoyed, I grabbed it and headed back to the bealach. Time to purchase a carabiner to attach it to my rucksack.
Next eyes were on the intimidating looking climb up to Bidean nam Bian. It looked very steep but actually was a great fun ascent. The views going up were none to shabby either.

It was great to reach the top - a celebration too, this was Balgonie's 100th munro. Well done mate, great effort :clap:

A good rest here for lunch and a chance to soak up the views. Anywhere better to be on a Friday lunchtime? Can't be many.
It was then time to head on to the second munro, Stob Coire Sgreamhach.

Below was the lost valley which I was looking forward to descending into.

Looking back at the descent off Bidean

It was a short climb to the top and the view along the Beinn Fhada ridge was superb.

All good things must come to an end however, but to compensate for the very steep descent we went down into the beautiful Lost Valley. It's only when you get down there you realise how hidden it is from the main glen. Lots of geological interest and beautiful waterfalls.

It felt like a long trek out but it had been a truly spectacular day and I was sorry it was over. A final look back at the three sisters of glencoe and it was time to head home.

A day that will live long in the memory :D
Last edited by laconic surf on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Re: Letter from Nam

Postby kev_russ » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Stunning stuff Lucas :clap: Am well jel :wink: See you and that GPS :lol:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby SMRussell » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Great report - really makes you want to drop everything and head for the hills :D Glad you got your GPS back - that's your luck for the month spent!

I love the addition of unintended danger - RTMcB and I have had a similar experience but during the winter where one moment of poorly chosen footing would have seen one or both of us sliding down a mountain side :crazy: You live, you survive, you learn.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby balgonie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Perfect report to a perfect day cheers laconic :clap:

oh you forgot to mention when you did find your gps, it was quickly followed with an almighty YES!!! not once but twice which was immediately followed by a whopping kiss to your gps screen which can only be describe as the type of kiss you'd give your wife on honeymoon :lol: :lol:
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Cracking photos of Nam there. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby laconic surf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:56 pm

kev_russ wrote:Stunning stuff Lucas :clap: Am well jel :wink: See you and that GPS :lol:

Cheers mate. I swore I wouldn't lose anything this week as well :roll: i will staple it to my head in future.

SMRussell wrote:Great report - really makes you want to drop everything and head for the hills :D Glad you got your GPS back - that's your luck for the month spent!

I love the addition of unintended danger - RTMcB and I have had a similar experience but during the winter where one moment of poorly chosen footing would have seen one or both of us sliding down a mountain side :crazy: You live, you survive, you learn.

Thanks :D Problem is I survive, don't learn and repeat it the following week :lol:

balgonie wrote:Perfect report to a perfect day cheers laconic :clap:

oh you forgot to mention when you did find your gps, it was quickly followed with an almighty YES!!! not once but twice which was immediately followed by a whopping kiss to your gps screen which can only be describe as the type of kiss you'd give your wife on honeymoon :lol: :lol:

Cheers mate. There was, however, absolutely no tongue involved :lol:

Johnny Corbett wrote:Cracking photos of Nam there. :D

Cheers JC, it's easy with a muse like that :wink:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland