walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Isle of Skye - Walking/Wild Camping Advice

Isle of Skye - Walking/Wild Camping Advice

Postby tjchino » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:25 am

Hi there,

Brand new to the site and grateful to have found it.

My family and I are planning on spending a few nights/days on the Isle of Skye (and around Inverness) this weekend. I prefer wild camping over 'campsite' camping for a number of reasons (cost ranking pretty high on the list). My family are all fairly stalwart and used to roughing it. We enjoy walks ranging in 5-10 km. This site obviously has loads of walking options outlined and I'm happy to do my own research. It would be great to hear a few favourites from some of the veterans.

I am finding it a little more difficult to find recommendations on wild camping - especially wild camping in conjunction with walking.

Suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated. After the trip, I hope to report back my findings :)
tjchino
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   

Re: Isle of Skye - Walking/Wild Camping Advice

Postby kevsbald » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:19 pm

There were great reports on here on summit camps on Sgurr na Stri. You could walk in via Elgol road.
Or, you could do the walk from Sligachan through the glen to the Elgol road (about 10 miles?) - camp along that?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mountainstar » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:23 pm

There's a great spot at the road end of Camas Malag where you can wild-car-camp, you will see details and pictures on the 1st day of my report of the Skye Trail...
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=32151
Will agree with Kevsbald, a great spot to camp on that route is at Camasunary Bothy (or stop in the Bothy, it has several rooms) Again you will find details of it on day 2 of my report. You can also walk to it via the path from Kilmarie.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby tjchino » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks so much for these recommendations. I'll be sure to look into them.
Really helpful and really glad I found this site.
Best.
tjchino
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   

Postby Frogwell » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:16 am

There's plenty of decent camp spots within easy walking distance along the Totternish Ridge. I camped on the shoulder of Beinn Edra last February. Most of the ridge is fairly exposed so maybe not so suitable for windy weather, but there are sections of it at the North which are more protected.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Roeboe » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:30 am

I advised some friends to car camp at Camas Malag but there was a sign saying camping was not allowed, any information if this is temporary?
Roeboe

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:32 am

Roeboe wrote:I advised some friends to car camp at Camas Malag but there was a sign saying camping was not allowed, any information if this is temporary?

"Car camping" is not wild camping in the sense intended by the access legislation. Wild camping means away from the road and away from the vicinity of inhabited buildings, which means putting on a pack and walking.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion