walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ring of Steall the wrong way round!

Ring of Steall the wrong way round!

Postby Jabber » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 12/10/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1545m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What another stunning day in Scotland! Had been watching the forecast for a few days on this. Mustered my mate Kev and we up and at it meeting in Luss just before six knowing the A82 at Pulpit rock wasn't open before then. We were off to Glen Nevis via Mucky D's of course in Fort Will i am .Image Was quite cold with the old thermometer on the old Golf showing the temp as -1 Brrrr!
We parked up at the Polldubh car park and made a good start up the slope to Sgurr a' Mhaim however it wasn't long before I was feeling the gradient trying to go 3400ft in under 2Km was always going to hurt my 40 year old plus legs :(
However the scenery was more than making up for it with Stob Ban coming into view.Image
The early onslaught was not effecting my mate Kev who was ploughing on up leaving me in his wake!Image
Once nearing the great hulking grey quartzite mass that is Sgurr a' Mhaim the view suddenly opened up and the early morning pain became worth it!Image and behold the devils ridge although my mate calls it rascals ridge.Image and the view to the south east was awesome.Image
We didn't spend much time at the peak as there was still a cold breeze chilling my heavy leaded weights that once were legs however the excitement hadn't overtaken me at the prospect that had appeared ahead of us!Image
We managed to negotiate ourselves over the ridge with absolutely no issues and I to be honest was disapointed that it was over to soon although the views were more than making up for this especially this shot of my old friend Aonach Eagach with the Bidean range in the background.Image
The views were just spoiling us now and we hit one of the tops Sgurr an lubhair the view down Loch Leven was brilliant.Image Now down below a right old noisy battle was going on so out came the camera and yup choas was reigning down in the glen.Image and a right old deer scrap was going on.Image
Passing round the back of Am Bodach the view was stunning and it was good to see that we'd completed more than half the walk in good time although my legs were still feeling the pain!Image The approach to An Gearanach was awesome and presented me with this.....love this countryImage. Of course the Mamores wouldn't be complete without a look at the big beastie and the small beastieImage The descent into Glen Nevis didn't look very appealing at first however turned out to be ok and a lot better than the ascent.Image
On the way down we were treated to this!Image
I think this government are totally wrong in privatizing this life saving team and they are wrong!
Steall falls was surprisingly quite and beautiful of course!Image
We crossed the river before the bridge however that didn't stop us going across it for a laugh.Image
Anyrate bump of the day goes to Sgurr a' Mhaim who really hurt my poor old legs! :clap: Image
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Ring of Steall the wrong way round!

Postby mrssanta » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:12 pm

Good effort! Some smashing pics there. It's been a gorgeous weekend up there, been horrible here in Yorkshire
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Ring of Steall the wrong way round!

Postby Jabber » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:22 pm

mrssanta wrote:Good effort! Some smashing pics there. It's been a gorgeous weekend up there, been horrible here in Yorkshire

Thanks for the comments everytime I go walking in this fantastic country it never fails to amaze me come Rain or shine.
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland