walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Too much of a tent compromise?

Too much of a tent compromise?

Postby tenohfive » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:03 pm

I've spent hours scouring reviews, sales and the likes of eBay/Gumtree etc but feel like I'm no closer to answering my own question - or can't face the answer, which may be closer to the truth. In which case I need to work out an alternative option.

I'm looking for a two man tent for wild camping. Mostly just for me - so needs to be light - but on occasion my better half will be joining me. As such it doesn't need to be massively roomy, but does need to be able to take two packs/be able to cook in the porch. Neither of us are tall.

It'll get 3 season use but I'm considering the odd winter wild camp in the Lake District above the snowline - I was hoping that with a reasonably robust tent, careful pitching location, watching of the weather forecast etc I could get away with a weekend here or there.

Finally, budget: I can't stretch beyond £200 but am quite happy buying second hand.

Is this doable? If so, where will I need to compromise - winter resistance, weight, space? And any suggestion for what my best option is, or can what I want not be achieved without two tents? If so, which?

I've flitted between various options - from the Alpkit Kangri to the Vaude Power Odyssey to flavours of Zephyros, but I don't feel like I'm any closer to a decision.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Re: Too much of a tent compromise?

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Myself and basscadet use this - http://www.robens.de/en/Products/Tents/XtraLite/MythosDuo.aspx

It is just starting to leak a bit after some heavy use over the past year so seams will need to be re-taped and maybe re-proofed. However, it's light and has 2 porches. A few (very positive) reviews online and should be around £200 new. Used for car camping and backpacking.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Frogwell » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:44 am

Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby NickScots » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:14 pm

I use a Vango Tyhpoon, ticks the boxes. Not made anymore though. Two porches means one for rucksacs and the other for cooking etc.

Vango make tbe Force Ten range of similar tents.
NickScots

Munros:123   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:4   

Postby tenohfive » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:14 pm

I've looked into the Helium 200 but the porch is just a bit too small.

A Tarptents Scarp 2 would do the job nicely but I think once import duty and delivery is added on to the £210 price it'd be well out of budget. I've had the Terra Nova Solar Competition 2 suggested as an alternative, which could be doable second hand if I got lucky.
tenohfive

Postby tenohfive » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Last minute possibility...the Wild Country Duolite. Not much information or reviews but it ticks all the boxes. Any experiences?
tenohfive

Postby GMurphy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:59 pm

I have a Duolite. Its a great tent, Spacious for one and able to cope with strong gusts of wind. The porch is adequate for storage and cooking. I picked it up for about 150 pounds from Springfield Camping two years ago. On the downside it is abit on the heavy side though at 2.7kg.
GMurphy
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:23
Wainwrights:17   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Frogwell wrote:I know nothing about it, but I like the look of this: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-ii-hiking-tent-grey-id_8245650.html

Hmm... we've just been looking at the 3 man version of this. Info is not easy to come by online. I found some reviews on the French Decathlon website and it seems like a lot of tent for the money.

(I did learn that the French term for tent pegs is sardines :lol: )
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby tenohfive » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:56 pm

GMurphy wrote:I have a Duolite. Its a great tent, Spacious for one and able to cope with strong gusts of wind. The porch is adequate for storage and cooking. I picked it up for about 150 pounds from Springfield Camping two years ago. On the downside it is abit on the heavy side though at 2.7kg.

Any ideas how it'd cope with two persons and two packs? And any experience of camping in snow?

It's not the lightest option but I've heard a few people talk about putting their tent on a diet - getting lighter pegs, guys etc to shave a bit off.

I suspect a year or two down the line I'll buying a dedicated one man tent but for now it seems on the face of it like the best of all worlds.
tenohfive

Postby Arthurs Eat » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Cotswold are doing a bit of a deal on the Marmot Grid just now. Superb tent although at 2.7kg not the lightest. It stood up to everything Patagonia could chuck at it for me. Excellent build quality throughout.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby basscadet » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:41 pm

The trouble with the duolite is that the roof is affy low - 90cm isnt enough room to sit up to cook or eat your dinner, which leads to much stooping and an achey back.. :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby GMurphy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Its a squeeze for 2. If you were using it for using it for winter camping you would need snow stakes or use snow filled bags to anchor the tent I suspect. Its not a criticism of the tent its just not designed for 4 season camping. I would reconsider the force 10 helium it looks like a tough little tent for not much weight and from experience a heavy pack can suck the enjoyment out of a camping trip
GMurphy
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:23
Wainwrights:17   

Postby tenohfive » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Arthurs Eat wrote:Cotswold are doing a bit of a deal on the Marmot Grid just now. Superb tent although at 2.7kg not the lightest. It stood up to everything Patagonia could chuck at it for me. Excellent build quality throughout.

That does sound promising, but I'm not sure what the extra £100 buys over something like the Duolite?

And Basscadet, I gather there's more height at the cooking end - and I will shortly be measuring my vertically challenged missus in the seated position, and I reckon I could turf her off to the middle of the tent to eat whilst I use the headroom near the entrance. The Marmot Grid 2P (for example) - a well regarded tent - has very similar dimensions.

Still not convinced on the Force Ten Helium 200 - not sure that the porch is big enough for two packs and cooking. For one person I'd have no hesitation.
tenohfive

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk