walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Finlay Wild runs sub 3 hours Cuillin Ridge Traverse

Finlay Wild runs sub 3 hours Cuillin Ridge Traverse

Postby Roger Wild » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe, Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh, Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr na Banachdich, Sgùrr nan Eag, Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 13/10/2013

Time taken: 2.59 hours

Distance: 12.6 km

Ascent: 1370m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Saturday 12th October 2013 Finlay Wild set a new Cuillin Ridge Traverse record completing the 11 Munros and four main climbing sections in a time of 2hrs 59mins 22secs. The climbing sections include down-climbing into the Thearlaich-Dubh Gap and climbing up the other side, King's Chimney on Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, ascending and down-climbing the Inaccessible Pinnacle and climbing Naismith's Route on the Bhasteir Tooth. Bidein Druim nan Ramh is also included. Finlay left the summit of Gars-bheinn at the southern end of the ridge at 12 noon and reached the summit of Sgurr nan Gillean at 2.59.22

Click here for video:
Roger Wild

Re: Finlay Wild runs sub 3 hours Cuillin Ridge Traverse

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Just watched it on Scottish Hill Racing FB page, 'Something Else' does not bare thinking about! :clap: :clap: :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Take me longer than 3hrs to get to one Sky peak!

Fantastic achievement -congratulations
wilkiemurray

Postby gaffr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:19 am

What a fine afternoon's work.....can't quite get my head around this. We used to think that eight hours was a good day out. :) The Forum does not quite have enough 'digit space' to allow for the true ascent metres. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby mgmt! » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:42 pm

magnificent achievement, it takes the average person 3.5 hours from glen brittle toGars-bheinn , awesome stuff. :clap: :clap:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:45 pm

I just can't imagine how that is possible, has he got jet-propelled legs? Fantastic! :clap:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby dunrig » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:15 pm

- anybody who has tried even just a bit of the Cuillin ridge traverse will understand the measure of this achievment -
it is outstanding!
dunrig

Postby GillC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Remember its peak to peak,,,still an amazing result though,,,would take me that long to sum up the nerve for the I/Pinn lol :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby dunrig » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:07 pm

GillC wrote:Remember its peak to peak,,,still an amazing result though,,,would take me that long to sum up the nerve for the I/Pinn lol :clap:

Who does not realise it is peak to peak GillC?
- no other ridge in Britain has such sustained difficulty, to be able to move so fast & fluently over this ground is outstanding - leaving aside soloing the TD gap & the rest. Anyone who has attempted the ridge understands the difference between 8hrs peak to peak which some manage & what is now an under 3hr record - that is the gap I am in awe of...
dunrig

Postby GillC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:20 pm

dunrig wrote:Who does not realise it is peak to peak GillC?
- no other ridge in Britain has such sustained difficulty, to be able to move so fast & fluently over this ground is outstanding - leaving aside soloing the TD gap & the rest. Anyone who has attempted the ridge understands the difference between 8hrs peak to peak which some manage & what is now an under 3hr record - that is the gap I am in awe of...

I did not infer for 1 minute that someone did not realise it is peak to peak,,but I do know some,,not necessarily on this site, who initially thought it was covering the climbs too,,, I applaud this mans efforts and was in no way decrying his achievement. I personally,,dont take life that seriously Dunrig to pick holes in things of little import such as another persons comment, Perhaps I made his achievement seem lesser to you?, not intended. God bless the day when tone can be read into written text eh!
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby dunrig » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Es Tressider used to be my hero not just because he held the record but also because he jumped on his bike & cycled home to Edinburgh after doing it, think he will have to move over now - in the same mould but faster - Finlay Wild
dunrig

Postby dunrig » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:41 pm

& you have my apologies GillC I didn't realise your comments have such little importance...
dunrig

Postby Malckyb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:28 pm

What an amazing achievement..its quite astounding. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland