walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

At last, one becomes three

At last, one becomes three

Postby Sarah86 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda

Date walked: 12/10/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After completing our first munro last year we have been out and about on the hills but had yet to reach another munro top. We did attempt meall nan tarmachan a couple of months back but I was suffering from bad fatigue and was in quite a bit of discomfort but pushed on at a snails pace.. only to find what I thought was the summit wasn't! I had selected the Cairnwell 3 a while back as an easy chance to get some more munros ticked off and last weekend finally looked like the perfect time to get out there.

We set off from Clackmannanshire a little later than planned not long after 9am and arrived at the Glenshee ski centre in glorious sunshine but felt a bitter wind. We set off following the route described in walkhighlands and to our surprise it started to feel quite warm and the wind died down.

There seemed to be a few options on reaching the summit of Carn Aosda but we headed up next to a fence and some ski lifts

Penny our dog seemed to have a great time walking this part with lots of wildlife to smell and ptarmigan jumping out in front of us. To my joy, this was probably the most strenuous part of the day. It wasn't long until we joined a gravel path and the summit was in sight.

Now, before heading here I have read numerous reports and many don't rate these hills too highly but we were awe at the beautiful scenery, I really couldn't complain.

Who can complain with views like this?

Penny on the summit of Carn Aosda

It got a little colder again so it was time for Penny to wrap up

After a few snaps at the summit it was time to get moving again as we set off to Carn a'Gheoidh

It was a very pleasant walk between the two with even more beautiful scenery

Looking back

Penny excited by the snow

We took a slight wrong turn which added more ascent to our next summit. Penny got rather excited as a mountain hare shot out in front of us. Plenty of them around but unfortunately for me.. no photos.

More lovely views to be seen from munro 2 of the day

Good views to be had all round

We didn't stay long at the summit as the wind really strengthened and it was rather cold, so we set off back.

When we set off we had intended to tick off all 3 munros and I know to many it may seem a bit silly to miss out on the Cairnwell when we were so close with an easy ascent but we felt Penny had walked long enough as a couple of weeks previous she hadn't been keen on walking much so we didn't like to push her too much but I was pleased at how well my little 10 year old did... I struggled to keep up with her at times!

Couldn't get enough of these lovely views

What a wonderful day we, I couldn't have asked for better weather or views. If you can see past the unsightly aspects of these mountains there is plenty of beautiful views to be had. Now where to next?!
Last edited by Sarah86 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Re: At last, one becomes three

Postby dawnfoth » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:04 pm

You did get some lovely snaps Sarah - good to see you had a fine day for it! :D Most walkers probably don't rate these hills because there's so much man-made nonsense in the way. Once you've climbed a lot more, you'll see why. There are so many magical hills out there - many of which I am yet to discover too! I thought your wee dog Penny was a Kangaroo :lol:

Well Done! :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Its lovely to see these hills again - I used to live in Dundee and these counted as 'locals' :lol: :lol: Thanks for sharing.

Penny looks like she was really enjoying herself, but you are wise not to push her too hard. :)
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Sarah

Last weekend was just so good for being out in the hills (unlike this weekend :( ).

I did these three (including Cairnwell) years ago on a miserable day and by the time I got to the top of the 3rd Munro I was quite happy to take the chairlift down.

Loved the 2nd last shot of Penny with the water in the background.

If you're looking for another hill in this area try Morrone. Good tracks to turn it into a circular or a straight up and down from either Braemar or Auchallater. It's a Corbett with just the most stunning views and as long as the building and mast on the summit don't spoil it for you, it is a great place to be on a really good day with good visibility.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby kazuhart » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi Sarah, my friend and I walked the cairnwell 3 on the same day, it was a great day . It was our first Monros :D and I agree that the views were awesome. If these are the least liked Monros in Scotland then I think we are in for a treat :wink:
kazuhart
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:18   

Postby Sarah86 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:38 pm

kazuhart wrote:Hi Sarah, my friend and I walked the cairnwell 3 on the same day, it was a great day . It was our first Monros :D and I agree that the views were awesome. If these are the least liked Monros in Scotland then I think we are in for a treat :wink:

I know, so much ahead of us :-) I know looking at various reports on here there is some stunning landscapes to be seen that I can't wait to get out and about to.

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Its lovely to see these hills again - I used to live in Dundee and these counted as 'locals' :lol: :lol: Thanks for sharing.

Penny looks like she was really enjoying herself, but you are wise not to push her too hard. :)

Thanks :-) She was having a great time, I think the smells and sights of wild life kept her interested.

dawnfoth wrote:You did get some lovely snaps Sarah - good to see you had a fine day for it! :D Most walkers probably don't rate these hills because there's so much man-made nonsense in the way. Once you've climbed a lot more, you'll see why. There are so many magical hills out there - many of which I am yet to discover too! I thought your wee dog Penny was a Kangaroo :lol:

Well Done! :D

I know, I have many hills to visit with stunning views to be seen. I am always looking for new walks and that level of excitement is always there when a new summit is reached. Well... she was like a little kangaroo at one point hopping along trying to get a better view of the hares :lol:

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Sarah

Last weekend was just so good for being out in the hills (unlike this weekend :( ).

I did these three (including Cairnwell) years ago on a miserable day and by the time I got to the top of the 3rd Munro I was quite happy to take the chairlift down.

Loved the 2nd last shot of Penny with the water in the background.

If you're looking for another hill in this area try Morrone. Good tracks to turn it into a circular or a straight up and down from either Braemar or Auchallater. It's a Corbett with just the most stunning views and as long as the building and mast on the summit don't spoil it for you, it is a great place to be on a really good day with good visibility.

Thanks, last weekend was ideal... looks like the rest of this week isn't going to be great. Have had a look at Morrone and it looks a good one to visit and I am always on the lookout for new walks and it didn't take us too long to get near Braemar.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:38 am

Great to see another of your reports :D , lovely pictures as usual, and boy does Penny take a good photograph, what a cracker of a dog. Looks a cold day but beautiful for walking and excellent for photographs, very little haze, what's next in line? :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:02 am

Cracking photos Sarah :D

I quite like these hills, once you get past the ski nonsense, there's plenty of good views, like yours from Aosda to the high 'Gorms and from Carn a'Gheoidh which is a fine and remote feeling hill.

That was a fine day for walking.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:57 am

jupe1407 wrote:Cracking photos Sarah :D

I quite like these hills, once you get past the ski nonsense, there's plenty of good views, like yours from Aosda to the high 'Gorms and from Carn a'Gheoidh which is a fine and remote feeling hill.

Thanks :) It was a great day for being out, probably one of the best days I have had out for a while.

The Rodmiester wrote:Great to see another of your reports :D , lovely pictures as usual, and boy does Penny take a good photograph, what a cracker of a dog. Looks a cold day but beautiful for walking and excellent for photographs, very little haze, what's next in line? :)

Thanks :) She is quite the little pro at modelling for me now as she is so used to it :lol: Not sure what is next on the list... looking to continue with some easy ones to get me back in the swing of things. Was looking at Ben Chonzie for the Glen Lednock side. Mount Kean looks ideal but my sister is now teaching and doesn't fancy getting up early on a Saturday morning for a long drive!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Postby AbbsFooty » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Nice wee doggy you have there! She poses like a model! Love the background snow and the landscape is unbelievable! I have been on the other side of the road! :D
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   

Postby mountainboy12 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:54 pm

well done looks a good day a good view i done them 3 in a oner in 3 hours
mountainboy12
Stravaiging

Munros:260   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:33 pm

You seem to have had a spectacular day for it - lovely photos. Penny is clearly a Grand Wee Dug, too :D - that's a great shot of her with the loch in the background.
Be warned, it gets very addictive this Munro-bagging: you'll be chasing your first fifty before you know it...
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Sarah86 wrote:
jupe1407 wrote:Cracking photos Sarah :D

Thanks :) It was a great day for being out, probably one of the best days I have had out for a while.

The Rodmiester wrote:Great to see another of your reports :D , lovely pictures as usual, and boy does Penny take a good photograph, what a cracker of a dog. Looks a cold day but beautiful for walking and excellent for photographs, very little haze, what's next in line? :)

Thanks :) She is quite the little pro at modelling for me now as she is so used to it :lol: Not sure what is next on the list... looking to continue with some easy ones to get me back in the swing of things. Was looking at Ben Chonzie for the Glen Lednock side. Mount Kean looks ideal but my sister is now teaching and doesn't fancy getting up early on a Saturday morning for a long drive!

For what it's worth, I'd say that Ben Chonzie is much prettier from the Loch Turret side, and it's not really any harder than the slightly commoner Glen Lednock approach... I've never understood why the Glen Lednock approach seems to be more popular :?. It's a good winter hill. Mount Keen should be a good option too,
I'd say. Hope you get such good weather next time (although it's unlikely to be honest - this is Scotland after all :lol: )!
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Postby jepsonscotland » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:21 pm

It was a beautiful day and nice to meet you on the summit of Carn Aosda.
Great pics, especially the view north to the bigger Cairngorms, really makes the uphill effort worthwhile. :D
I wasn't a member at the time, but it was great to meet more like-minded outdoor folk. Now I have discovered WH, there's no turning back! Lol.
Penny does you proud, she's a natural and very bonny.
Good luck with your future bagging.
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby GillC » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:22 pm

bobble_hat_kenny wrote:For what it's worth, I'd say that Ben Chonzie is much prettier from the Loch Turret side, and it's not really any harder than the slightly commoner Glen Lednock approach... I've never understood why the Glen Lednock approach seems to be more popular :?. It's a good winter hill. Mount Keen should be a good option too,
I'd say. Hope you get such good weather next time (although it's unlikely to be honest - this is Scotland after all :lol: )!

I loved Chonzie from Turret,,,smashing big circular route on a glorious summers day,,would recommend it over Lednock ANYTIME :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland