walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ying, Yang, Beinn Alligin - a cure for old knees?

Ying, Yang, Beinn Alligin - a cure for old knees?

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 12/10/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1050m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Few would argue that Beinn Alligin is special, but to return here having been driven off by awful weather 14 years ago made this walk even more special. So too did the fact that we'd 'stollen' this day very opportunistically when we saw the MWIS forecast, despite the brilliant weather this summer we have managed very few days on the hills. Yes this walk would be sweet indeed.

We'd spent the previous night at the Torridon Youth Hostel (where I'd been at a Tai Chi festival for the previous week) so were on the hill by 10:00am without a 2 hour drive – (I know that's late given the proximity of the start – but hey we were being relaxed about this!) The weather was glorious, clear skies and enough of a cool breeze to prevent overheating, and the autumn colours were just stunning. And the route – well you cross the road from the car park and start going up, sometimes up steeply, sometimes up even more steeply, but always up until you get to the top of Tom na Gruagaich. There are no long walks in :lol:

Heading up to the Coir nan Laogh.

with views of Eag Dubh, Sgurr Mhor and the horns on the way up.

Beinn Eighe looking like a whole mountain range.

Looking back over the eastern end of Loch Torridon.

On our last hillwalk our young dog Bertie hadn't been well, so we shortened the walk and brought him home. He turned out to have acute pancreatitis and was very ill for about 10 days. We'd gradually been building his strength up, so today was something of a test and one we knew we might have to abandon if he showed any signs of weakness. If anything he seemed to be happier to be out in the hills on a good day than we were :wink: .

aided by the fact that there are plenty of watering points on the route

In 2 hours we'd almost reached Tom na Gruagaich, and had a stunning view south.

It's a gentle stroll from here to the summit, and yes the white streak is snow – the tops had a covering on Thursday morning, but then the weather improved.

Once at the top – well what can I say, the photos say it all!!

Sgurr Mhor and the horns.

The horns, Beinn Dearg, Beinn Eighe and beyond

Looking south across Loch Torridon.

Looking west, with the Western Isles on the horizon. Great weather for the Harris Walking Festival :)

Over the sea to Skye... Trotternish peninsular (part of)

… and the Cuillins.

One happy hiker …

Looking south, perhaps someone could tell me what the hills on the far horizon are, is it the north side of Glen Sheil?

After taking even more photos, oh and having a well earned lunch break, we headed off for Sgurr Mhor. Coming off Tom na Gruagaich was the only tricky bit we faced all day, we missed the path and started a precarious scramble down :crazy: . However, when the dogs refused to follow we back tracked, found the path and proceeded onto the ridge without any further problems. It did confirm what we'd already decided though, that we would not try the horns with the dogs, but would come back this way. (I guess they would have been fine - its the humans who would have caused the problems :? )

The dramatic Eag Dubh ...
… and lots of views from the summit of Sgurr Mhor.

Torridon big beasts …

The mighty Laithach

Slioch and Loch Maree

Cloud rolling in from the east.

Gairloch

Roger, Biggles and Bertie – more interested in food than views I think. (Well a second lunch was called for here!)

And there were plenty of others enjoying the view and a well earned lunch :D

The ridge walk back to Tom na Gruagaich.

The return walk was fine, and we found a path that bypassed Tom na Gruagaich and left us with a straight descent! I couldn't help looking back, and around and taking yet more photos as the light changed the view of the mountains.

I must own up to going slower and slower on this descent, I was even wondering if my knees would make it to the car :( The dogs weren't quite as energetic as they had been on the way up, but Bertie showed no signs of his illness. I was glad when we finally got to a point were we could see the trees surrounding the car park

and making it off the mountain 7 hours after we'd started. Yes this is a perfect place and we were here on a perfect day. The cloud that we'd spotted to the east hadn't troubled us, but passing Beinn Eighe on the way home we saw it had been crowned :D

A couple of hours later we were home and a minor miracle had occurred – those knees which were so sore when we left Beinn Alligin car park were fine, no pain and I could walk properly … must be an effect of a week of Tai Chi :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Huff_n_Puff on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Ying, Yang, Beinn Alligin - a cure for old knees?

Postby AnnieMacD » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Great report and fantastic photos. Sorry I missed you but I was on the top when you were leaving the car park! Glad the dogs and the knees are none the worse.

Did the start of the descent path you took originate at the bealach between the two hills? I wasn't aware there was a path as all I had read about was to go straight down the north-east side of Sgurr Mor
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Silverhill » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Well done to both of you and the dogs! I'm glad your knee held out and Bertie is back to normal.
Fantastic views and no haze around, what an amazing day you had for this 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Great photos on a stunning day.

Still to do these hills and when I get round to them I can't imagine I could be as lucky as you with the weather.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Wonderful photos! I'm wondering if your route down was the one I took with the dogs - but our way involved a couple of deer fences which you didn't mention. :wink: :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Sarah86 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:26 pm

What a beautiful area, love the shots looking on to all the other mountains. Glad your wee dog is feeling better, they are such a worry when not right.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:03 am

AnnieMacD wrote:Great report and fantastic photos. Sorry I missed you but I was on the top when you were leaving the car park! Glad the dogs and the knees are none the worse.

Did the start of the descent path you took originate at the bealach between the two hills? I wasn't aware there was a path as all I had read about was to go straight down the north-east side of Sgurr Mor

Hi Annie - I was impressed with your early start, and the lovely photo down Eag Dubh.
Our route back was to retrace our steps, almost to the summit of Tom na Gruagaigh, but just contouring round to the north, then coming out at the belach just to the west of the top, and then back down to the car park. I think there is a route down between the 2 tops, looking at Dogplodder's report I thinks that's how she came down, but I'm not really sure :)
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:07 am

dogplodder wrote:Wonderful photos! I'm wondering if your route down was the one I took with the dogs - but our way involved a couple of deer fences which you didn't mention. :wink: :D

Hi DP, I've just looked at your report - did you come back between the 2 tops? We just retraced our steps almost to the summit of Tom na Gruagaigh and then came down the way we went up - not very enterprising, but the only other route I was aware of, other than the horns, was a path below them which WH doesn't recommend. In case you haven't realised I'm rather cautious :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby litljortindan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Beautiful pictures. The hills to the south you wanted to identify include, I think, Sgritheall and Ladhar Bheinn mid horizon.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:22 pm

litljortindan wrote:Beautiful pictures. The hills to the south you wanted to identify include, I think, Sgritheall and Ladhar Bheinn mid horizon.

Many thanks - that was what I was hoping I'd taken, but then when I looked at the photos I just wasn't sure. :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:23 am

Great report and ABSOLUTELY STUNNING pics! Well done :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:10 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:Great report and ABSOLUTELY STUNNING pics! Well done :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks - it was a brilliant walk, but I'm lazy about doing walk reports :shock:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland