walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum

Ben Challum

Postby happyhiker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:00 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 21/02/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 925m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We decided on a slow start to our Ben Challum walk and took a leisurely drive up. By the time we parked up and got ready it was 10.30 before we set off. We were in no hurry today - just wanted to take in the views and enjoy a great winter walk with some (hopefully) amazing views. The blue skies ahead looked very promising. This was my first winter walk so was really looking forward to what was ahead - and picture postcard images of what it was going o be like in the snow - and for once that turned out to be the case!
Ben Challum (17 of 130).jpg
Looking over to Ben Lui

The first couple hundred metres were fine with some great views over Ben Lui (one of our lot had been climbing up there the day before - it looked pretty impressive from Ben Challum!). The hill seemed to be quite busy and passed plenty of people coming down who had had great views - we were just hoping it would hold out for us!
Ben Challum (32 of 130).jpg

Ben Challum (52 of 130).jpg
Looking over to Beinn Dorain (my first Munro!)

Once we gained some height we had some decent snow to walk on - nothing too difficult and as a first timer I managed nae bother ;-) There were stunning views and the blue skies just made it an amazing day for the camera. Plenty of great shots of the snow capped hills.
Ben Challum (65 of 130).jpg

Ben Challum (79 of 130).jpg
Blue sky and crisp snow - perfect picture combo!

Ben Challum (82 of 130).jpg

even the odd posed shot for effect! :lol:
Ben Challum (83 of 130).jpg
Couldn't resist this photo op - slightly posed and totally unnecessary but fun LOL!

Walking the ridge from the South summit to the North was simply fantastic - it was perfect conditions and the views were awesome. What made it even better was once we passed a group on the ridge we then had the hill to ourselves for the rest of the day - a bonus to a late kick off and a slow pace :-) Standing on the North summit just taking in the views and silence made for a superb Sunday!
Ben Challum (89 of 130).jpg

Ben Challum (100 of 130).jpg

Ben Challum (111 of 130).jpg
On the cairn of Ben Challum

Ben Challum (124 of 130).jpg
great op for some cool winter photography!

We finally headed back down after making the most of it at the top. We had an easy walk back down and enjoyed the snow. My love for the hills was definitely re-ignited on Sunday - not that it ever left but it is always so good to have such a great day with fab views.
Ben Challum (129 of 130).jpg
looking up River Fillan towards Cruach Ardrain - the end to a great day out!

I know the walk description suggests this is a bit of a trudge but worth the views - i think maybe doing this hill in the snow was good move as I loved it!
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

Re: Ben Challum

Postby Milesy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:29 pm

Another great blue sky winter day. Snow cover looks nice up there just now. Need to get up 8)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby kjudge6 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Fantastic Winter pics of Ben Challum, mate, I'm jealous, looks like a great day!

I did this during the Summer of last year, and really enjoyed it.

Enjoy the pics. :D
Attachments
DSC01163.JPG
DSC01182.JPG
DSC01184.JPG
DSC01176.JPG
DSC01159.JPG
DSC01148.JPG
DSC01150.JPG
kjudge6
Stravaiging

Munros:134   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby sloosh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Nice pics. However, if you're going to do a pose, a wee bit photoshop goes a long way :lol:

Ben-Challum-2.jpg
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby happyhiker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:19 am

duh - why didn't i think of a quick photoshop tweak! looks fab - sloosh yer a genius!! lol! :lol:
Thanks for the pics kjudge6 - great to see what it looked it last year without the snow, I'm def glad i got the snowy views :-)
Milesy - you totally need to go up - it was great on Sunday. But then blue skies always help!!
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 pm

Only did that hill last year (with some snow) and it's already slipped onto my favourites list - I now plan to take Richard along it in snow (he doesn't know yet :D )
mountain coward

Postby Rekrab » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:20 pm

nice to see i'm not the only person who does that,

here's my ben challum vertcal climbing pic.:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4 ... =821139697

checkout the fenceposts in the background

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby happyhiker » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Rekrab wrote:nice to see i'm not the only person who does that,

here's my ben challum vertcal climbing pic.:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4 ... =821139697

checkout the fenceposts in the background

MacKenzie,

Brilliant!! nicely done :D
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland