walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Riding high on Lord Herefordshire knob

Riding high on Lord Herefordshire knob

Postby The_Greenman2000 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Chwarel y Fan, Twmpa

Date walked: 16/10/2013

Time taken: 5

Distance: 19.6 km

Ascent: 585m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Arrived at mid-day and the weather was shocking, low cloud, windy and wet. But within 30mins it had blown itself clear. Then just a short jaunt up to Twmpa.
20131016_132510.jpg
Twmpa

As that was easy we decided to head to Chwarel y Fan...which did look a long way off, but decided to go for it as was largely just walking along a ridge...how hard can that be? So up to Rhiw y Fan trig first.
20131016_163047.jpg

Now the 'flat' walk out to Charel y Fan. Only it just never seemed to get any closer...just kept on walking...and it got more windy, but we kept on walking...then the wind increased but we kept on walking. Then it really started to blow....but we kept on walking/stumbling. Eventually we made it, but I was blown off my feet a couple of times getting the the little summit....you can see its quite blowy from the dogs fur.
20131016_150638.jpg

Then we yomped back out following our path in....which was a bit of a drag.
The_Greenman2000
Munro compleatist

Munros:61   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:91
Wainwrights:37   

Re: Riding high on Lord Herefordshire knob

Postby willywalker247 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi Greenman
I did these to hills last year. Chwarel y fan first from just above Capel y ffin then drove up the road for 5 mins to Gospel pass and then a short walk to the summit of Twmpa. I thought about your route but opted the easy option.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland