walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crib Goch & The Snowdon Horseshoe!!!

Crib Goch & The Snowdon Horseshoe!!!

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:02 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Crib Goch, Crib y Ddysgl, Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa, Y Lliwedd

Date walked: 27/09/2013

Time taken: 6

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1100m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A wise very old man (Alan Bellis - Mountainstar) once mentioned that Wales provided some spectacular walking & scrambling :? ! He also informed me and that I should visit the land of many sheep to test my nerve doing Crib Goch & the Snowdon Horseshoe. Now I'd seen some videos of Crib Goch and wondered what all the fuss was about but this wise old man has several hundred years of experience and his word should not be taken lightly.

Kerri was reaching her 40th birthday this year so we decided to spend a long weekend in North Wales to celebrate it. Climbing Snowdon would mean that Kerri would scale the highest mountains in Scotland, England, Spain and Wales within a 6 month period, in this her 40th year...no midlife crisis here then :wink:

Alan had offered to lead us round the route on the Saturday, to keep us young ones safe, but it transpired the weather conditions would be better on the Friday so Kerri and I plumped for this...whilst Alan was working!

Left Glasgow 7am and parked 1 mile by Pen Y Pass car park as it was full. Started the walk around 1.30pm. To our surprise the weather was fantastic with clear views and the odd burst of sunshine.

This way then!!

The climb up to the Crib Goch ridge was good fun with some lovely views.

Upon reaching the ridge proper I had a slight panic attack due to the very narrow nature of it :shock:
My initial thought was "I ain't doing that". Kerri on the other hand had a huge grin on her face :crazy:
The first few moves rendered me jelly like but I soon hardened up and found my confidence. Mountain rescue flew by in their helicopter and a few of the guys gave us a big wave. I felt pretty safe knowing these guys were near by.

Kerri showing off!

All to soon and the scary part was over but what lay ahead looked equally good fun.

And to Snowdon

I'm sure I seen Mountainstar in the back seat :)

Snowdon Summit

We didn't hang around as was busy and continued on our way. The rest of the horseshoe was brilliant and it was nice to get views from different perspectives.

The luxurious home of Mountainstar!

Crib Goch & The Snowdon Horseshoe is up there with the likes of the Aonach Eagach, Curved Ridge & Forcan Ridge...I would actually say this provided the biggest scare for me.

The rest of our trip involved visiting other areas recommended by Alan around North Wales and we had a great time doing so. Beaches, Caves, a quirky village (Portmerion), Castles, Lighthouses and a Coastal walk kept us busy. Wales is well worth a visit and we shall return one day :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Crib Goch & The Snowdon Horseshoe!!!

Postby malky_c » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Home sweet home 8) . Great photos - the Horseshoe used to be an annual after school outing for me and my dad when I was in my teens (I'm sure there there's more typical teenage mischief I should have been getting up to instead :roll: ).

dooterbang wrote:I'm sure I seen Mountainstar in the back seat

Are you sure Monty wasn't in there too? I know how much he enjoys assisted travel on the hills :wink:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby poppiesrara » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Fabulous photos, Dooterbang! :clap:

(And I shall feel a little more emboldened to take on the ridges of Scotland (eventually), now I know that they're easier than Wales!).
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountainstar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:34 pm

I am speechless with your Glaswegian cheek young man! (Or perhaps it's because my teeth are in the glass of sterident)
Actually I laughed so much I nearly fell off my zimmer-frame! :lol:
If you are passing my house again pop in....I need someone to install a Stenner stair lift.

Brilliant pictures as per usual.
Sorry I could not be with you, but you did good without "the master"
I was more than happy to help with the finer details of your trip to Welsh Wales :D
So glad you enjoyed it, hopefully I will see you next time (As long as in coincided with me meeting you on top with me on the train!)
Last edited by mountainstar on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby stevesey » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Good to see Kerri going right along the knife edge - I need to plan in a wind free weekend next year to get along Crib Goch.

Excellent photos - give a really good idea of what to expect.
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby clivegrif » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Good to see you DARN SARFF on this side of the border, and enjoying some of our celtic delights!

Brilliant report with cracking pictures as ever, but come on down later in the year - its even better in the winter!! :lol:
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby dooterbang » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:37 pm

malky_c wrote:
dooterbang wrote:I'm sure I seen Mountainstar in the back seat

Are you sure Monty wasn't in there too? I know how much he enjoys assisted travel on the hills :wink:
Does Monty still walk the hills :wink:

poppiesrara wrote:(And I shall feel a little more emboldened to take on the ridges of Scotland (eventually), now I know that they're easier than Wales!).
Easy Peazy...nothing to worry about :crazy:

mountainstar wrote:I am speechless with your Glaswegian cheek young man! (Or perhaps it's because my teeth are in the glass of sterident)
Actually I laughed so much I nearly fell off my zimmer-frame! :lol:
If you are passing my house again pop in....I need someone to install a Stenner stair lift.
If you give up the walking you could do stand up :D

clivegrif wrote:Good to see you DARN SARFF on this side of the border, and enjoying some of our celtic delights!

Brilliant report with cracking pictures as ever, but come on down later in the year - its even better in the winter!! :lol:
Think I'll pass on that one Clive :shock: :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Malckyb » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:30 pm

Wow..what awesome pics of what looks a fine walk in brilliant conditions. One thats deffo on my list! Excellent! :) :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby blueyed » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:12 pm

amazing, on my 'to do' list for some time now :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Magic :clap: Having done Helvellyn via striding Edge last week, this is now top of my "Rest of the UK" list and a must for 2014. Having seen some of your pics, I'd better pack some spare boxers!! :shock: Great report as ever :thumbup:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:23 am

What a perfect day DB and captured beautifully in those awesome photos :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland