walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn A'Mhaim from Glen Lui - The Long walk

Carn A'Mhaim from Glen Lui - The Long walk

Postby BigT » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:08 am

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 20/10/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 648m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

That was a bit of a slog! I had an idea this would hard, but I didn't quite expect what it took out of me physically. I've done 8 hours hiking before, just not with a Munro stuck into the middle of it.

2013-10-20 Carn A'Mhaim track.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The track above was started a little late and packed in recording 1.5 miles from the end.

After spending a day doing some navigation training on Saturday the main business of the weekend was getting over to photograph Devils Point from Carn a'Mhaim. Starting slightly later than planned to accommodate a minor session the night before, we briskly marched off from the Linn of Dee car park (£2) at 10.30. The hangover quickly sweated away, but the weather couldn't make it's mind up between no rain, light rain and 'get yer waterproofs on' rain. Making reasonable time we enjoyed the trek along to Derry Lodge. I wore some winter boots for this one after missing their stability the day before in Cairngorm. The first blister arrived just about here. After some quick patching up, we crossed the footbridge and headed for the ford at Luibeg burn.

An impressive bog made for some athletic maneuvers by all concerned. Some amazing scenery either side of the Glen on the walk along, the trees on the north slope of Sgor Dubh were particularly stunning. Carn Crom stayed hidden in low cloud.

We had the idea that the ford was not going to happen before we got there, but wanted to take a look. my view of
it was it was about 1/2 foot too deep, covering good potential stepping stones at different fording places.

Next best choice is slog it up the side of Luibeg burn until you get to the bridge. here it was time for blister number two to make an appearance. Further foot patching-up was undertaken and a rest had before deciding on going up or not. At this point Carn a'Mhaim was covered in cloud, but small gaps in the clouds had been appearing. I reckon the hill just teased us by blowing away the cloud and revealing the top so we deciding to go for it.

The initial path onto the ridge is a mud bath just now, dark, sticky bog muck trying to suck the boot off your foot. the heather either side of the path made for an alternative and soon, once on the ridge, the path firmed up and started pretty much straight up the hill. Meandering in a few places, large rock steps appear about every 1 or 2 meters ascent until it gets steeper. Basically you just walk up the stairs :clap: Looking back is a bad idea at this point as you are hiking out that later.

There is a cracking wide plateau at 800m and I felt I could relax a little and march on a bit quicker (or it felt so to me), then the final ascent is a dash up a boulder field (this was good fun) before the path had it's only real bit of exposure. This was also the best spot today to get the camera out for devils point.

You then walk a narrow contour and then cut up sharply to cross a patch of snow and onward a final 100m to the summit cairn.

I didn't notice a path to the 1014 top on this way up, I did see a path I presume went there on the way back down walking away from the 1037 cairn. We had no time to explore. Cloud was back - so a quick lunch and obligatory photographs, then scoot.

We lost the path twice on the way down in the cloud, once on the boulder field, and again on the plateau. it was easy enough to pick up again, and we made good time coming down, making back to Luibeg burn bridge in 90 mins.

I took a breather here for 5 before starting the march back. Time was ok, but the feet were getting worse. I pushed hard as I could for Derry lodge knowing I could get into lighter foot wear once past the bogs. On examination it appeared I had two feet on my blisters rather blisters on my feet. Quickly patched them up and stuck on my sneakers and got marching out. i was able to keep up with the other guys just about. Then to cap it all the light went bye bye. So by head torch we slogged out the last 1.5 miles from the bridge to the car park.

So a mixed trip for me really. I'd say it's one you got to be fit for, walking 15 miles is one thing, walking 7 miles, then a Munro then another 7 miles is another. Whilst i can do it, at this time of year it needs every minute of daylight to fit that in. It was an experience, stiff boots for the walk in might not have helped, but it also could have been the heel lock lacing which i used for the first time as the boots were previously ok when all they had to do was go up and down rocks. My feet are patched up now, and hopefully I can walk again next weekend. If not I'll reflect on the last 8 weekends of fantastic outdoor activity.
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: Carn A'Mhaim from Glen Lui - The Long walk

Postby Delice » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:21 pm

Hey BigT. This is spooky - we did the very same walk that day but left the car park at 9.30 and were back just after 4. We must have passed you on the way back down? There were 3 of us + 2 dogs. You had a better view going up than we did though - I just had to imagine the Devil's Peak etc. We did make the river crossing on the stepping stones though, but only just! The bridge was a better option for the return at least. Now I really want to go back and get the view - but afterwards to carry on to Ben Macdui and back over Derry Cairngorm... On a better day of course - and it'll probably have to wait for some longer days again too!
Delice
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1

Re: Carn A'Mhaim from Glen Lui - The Long walk

Postby BigT » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Delice wrote:Hey BigT. This is spooky - we did the very same walk that day but left the car park at 9.30 and were back just after 4. We must have passed you on the way back down? There were 3 of us + 2 dogs.

What path did you take after crossing the bridge on the way back just off the hill? We (3 guys) were walking up the side of the burn toward the bridge rather than backtrack and take path around to it.

i don't remember any dogs but my short term memory is hilariously bad! - there were 3 of us. Out timing were leave car park about 10.30, must have been at foot of hill around 12.30, we rested for a bit, and were on top for 3pm, we were back off the hill just before 5pm. On my route you will see a little loop as we walk up the side of stream from the ford to get to the bridge, wonder if you passed us on the way down on the high ground?

Hats of tackling the ford. It was too long a walk back if I fell in, so it was not going to happen. :lol:
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland