walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braeriach

Braeriach

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach

Date walked: 18/07/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following our trip up Bynack More the following day we had a nice leisurely day and walked up Creag Bhag at Kingussie and a look around the Ruthen Barracks, our limbs now rested we sat in the warm sunshine in Aviemore looking over towards the magnificent Cairngorm Mountains, which still had a little snow on the Northern cliffs and corries. We decided that tomorrow we would like to have a look up the Lairig Ghru and maybe if we had the energy to summit Braeriach. The route from the Sugar Bowl and returning the same way was our choice. This we accepted was a step up from the walks we had previously undertaken and focussed our mind on the 8 to 10 hour hill walk we had set ourselves.
We parked at the Sugar Bowl on what promised to be a fine day, there was a little cloud cover on the tops bur were hopeful the weather man had got the forecast right today and we would have the anticipated views at the top.

P1020597.JPG
Looking towards the Chalamain Gap
P1020598.JPG
P1020599.JPG

The route is clear after crossing the road a delightful decent through woodland and then over the Alt Creag an Leth–choin (that’s a mouthful) before climbing onto the moor with views of the Ski Centre and the Chalamain Gap in the distance which was our next objective. Having read many reports about the nature of this scramble, I was not sure if I was looking forward to it. As we approached the Gap it was not as difficult as I had thought however the further you get in the more concentration is required as a slip could prove very nasty, the gaps between the boulders are lethal leg breakers, I would not relish the thought of scrambling over here when wet.

P1020600.JPG
P1020602.JPG
Lurchers Crag and path up towards Sron na Lairige
P1020603.JPG
back towards Chalamain gap
P1020606.JPG
Lurchers Crag
P1020608.JPG
Braeriach clearing?
P1020610.JPG
Views opening up

Once through a deserved coffee break was had with our objective in sight but covered in cloud for now….The track from here is pretty well eroded and I am sure when wet very boggy, however today it was dry with little sign of those boot sucking bogs. A decent of 100 metres to the Lairig Ghru is necessary before the steep climb up towards Sron na Lairige. Striking views of Lurchers Crag are enjoyed on the way up and again there are some minor boulder fields still to negotiate.

I took a slight diversion here from the main path which traverses the cliff edge which looks down the Larig Ghru and headed for the summit cairn of Sron na Lairige. There are good views from here too looking over to Sgor Gaoth and back towards Aviemore. The objective was now clearly in view, yet still some distance to travel as yet however the views were getting better and better with clear views of Ben MacDui, Derry Cairngorm and the Devils Point.
P1020612.JPG
P1020614.JPG
P1020615.JPG
P1020616.JPG
P1020617.JPG
P1020618.JPG
P1020619.JPG
We did it!!!

The path then descends towards a grassy col where a deserved cup of coffee was had before climbing the last section of the Mountain, I was looking forward to the next panorama of Carn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine from the the cliffs of Coire Bhrocain. I was not disappointed and hope that my attached pictures speak fro themselves. The view was awesome and a welcome sight was had as the summit cairn of Braeriach appeared.
P1020622.JPG
Yours Truly
P1020627.JPG
Aviemore in the distance
P1020628.JPG
Lurchers Crag and Lairig Ghru
P1020631.JPG
P1020633.JPG
Braeriach from the Gap
P1020639.JPG
Carol negotiating the tricky boulders

This in my view is one of the best walks I have ever done, looking back towards the Chalamain Gap looked an awful long way back and it was reluctance that we had to leave the summit to head back the way we came.
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Braeriach

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Well done Grandpa on getting this written up at last :shock: :wink:
What a great day you and Carol had and glad you had the weather to match :D
Some wonderful views, Geoff, the walk was obviously worth it! :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland