walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

amazing day on BEN DONICH

amazing day on BEN DONICH

Postby blueyed » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:16 pm

Route description: Ben Donich, via Rest and Be Thankful

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich

Date walked: 28/09/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

this year the summer was really generous to us, thou it came rather late, it lasted and lasted and i actually think it still lasts till now (end of October), cant complain! especially myself and Bea, we had a really good summer walking, camping and travelling in general.

SOOO let me introduce our relatively local mountain, ben donich. located in arrochar alps area (loch Lomond, trossachs) ben donich's most famous neighbours are the mighty 3 of arrochar (cobbler, beinn ime, beinn narnain).

weather forecast for that day was good, so we took off! as soon as we crossed Erskine bridge we couldn't help but be disappointed. thick fog/mist covered the world of trossachs, driving along loch Lomond we couldn't really see it, not to mention surrounding hills. but as soon as road turned in tarbet, we found ourselves on the other side of small hills ridge and discovered whole different world. sunshine, proper summer :) just 2 miles away from loch Lomond!

path to ben donich starts from the car park in rest and be thankful. I always wonder why this place has such name. I mean, I do agree, it is a very good name - when you drive there you just want to stop and rest and be thankful for such amazing views :)

anyway, turn left just before loch restil and park on the first car park to your left. the path starts just there, first as a tarmac track, then as a muddy but well defined path up the grassy slope.

day spent on ben donich will most definitely be a good one. nice wee hill, pleasant path, amazing scenery, not too tough, not too long, some optional scrambling. path is well defined all the way up, map not necessary (in reasonable conditions).

and here are some pics:

beinn an lochain from the car park

loch restil

lonely walker :)

rock formations in the fissure area

quick glimpse of ben Lomond the distance

the summit of ben donich

amazing views on our way back down

wee scramble up the fissure

enjoy!
Ela
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: amazing day on BEN DONICH

Postby BigT » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:17 am

LOL - I took your cairn shot that's on your blog! That's me and my pal Dave walking off the summit. Great day for it.
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby blueyed » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:55 pm

wow! you still remember it? hahaha amazing! we had a great day then and I believe so did you :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Musicfinder » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Excellent photographs as always. Thanks for sharing them.
Musicfinder

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland