walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart

Knoydart

Postby donnaryan69 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ladhar Bheinn

Date walked: 12/10/2010

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1408m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A great adventure; we took our small rib into Barrisdale Bothy from Arnisdale. Relying on Marty's memory we took stuff in two large plastic boxes as we thought we would be jumping off the boat on the beach and straight into the Bothy, not so Marty's memory wasn't quite accurate! We arrived in the dark at Low tide (spring!) and had to drag the boat, a four stroke engine, two large plastic boxes and ruck sacks about 2 km (through rough, soggy, marshy heathland) clear of the high tide mark, in the pitch black! Eventually reaching a fence at the hunting lodge, we were exhausted. We left the boat tide to the fence and went in search of the elusive bothy; pausing briefly at the hunting lodge to inquire as to its whereabouts; only to be met by Mr and Mrs 'country check' and their posh English possy, who astonished and congratulatory, but also reminded us to walk round the grass and shut the gate!! We luckily met one of the estate workers who gave us a lift in the jeep to the bothy which was another 1km down the round; so much for landing on the beach at an idyllic bothy right there on beach!! Next day we walked the route, in very inclement weather it was slow going and took a long time. I made a navigational error coming of the summit which is a very complex affair, one needs to to double back from the trig point to find the way down the correct ridge to return to the bothy (1;25,000 best) . I think using a 1;50,00 was the issue here. No matter, I realised my mistake and and then had to contour round the snout of Druim A' Choire Odhair to get back into Coire Dhorrcail towards Barrisdale back towards hut, again finishing in the dark! attachment=0]our_route.gpx[/attachment]
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by donnaryan69 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donnaryan69
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   

Re: Knoydart

Postby lochlaggan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:43 pm

2km long? much longer than I remember and hey I was dragging my bird!
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland