walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn na Saobhaidhe the "easy" way

Carn na Saobhaidhe the "easy" way

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:35 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn na Saobhaidhe

Date walked: 26/07/2013

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 650m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Like the two previous reports for Carn na Saobhaidhe I did this route by bike but from a different starting point. The photos are a selection I have taken from different, times of year, and conditions. It is certainly a good route for bagging the Corbett on a short afternoon, around two hours to ascend and not much more than half an hour back to your starting point.
I parked off road at the burial ground at the junction of the B862 and B852 the Foyers turn off NH494171. I turned left on to B862 and cycled approx. 1km uphill to a crossroads turned right on to a short downhill with a choice of bridges to cross the stream. Then bypassed Corriegarth Lodge and on to Garthbeg where you leave the tarmac.
A substantial bridge crosses the River E (the shortest name for a river in Scotland or anywhere I suppose) so called allegedly because of the shape it makes on the map. You have to use your imagination or be very poor at drawing E's.
P1000827 (640x480).jpg
The river close to bridge and power station.

Across the bridge then hard right before farm buildings through a gate then uphill on a good quality track all the way to the very flat top. You have to keep an eye on the map to make sure you stay on the correct track as there is several options and map doesn't show track going all the way to summit plateau. There is no ascent from end of track to cairn but probably a flat walk of 100 to 200m.
ians pictures 374 (640x480).jpg
Carn na saobhaidhe summit cairn 811m.

Now its all downhill. On the descent I stopped at the junction where a short track heads off to a dam. At this short section of the River E there are several small cascades and one spectacular fall at NH545140 which ordnance survey inexplicably dont show on any map
P1000804 (640x480).jpg
Small cascades on River E
P1010358 (640x480).jpg
Same place but summer time

To access the foot of the impressive big fall which is approx. 25m in height, leave the track at the junction at approx. NH546140 take care and you will find a steep gully that gives fairly easy access. DONT TAKE THE BIKE :( :( :(
2013-07-26 19.19.53 (640x480).jpg
The big waterfall

Then it was back up to the bike and downhill to the car
Sunset tripper

Re: Carn na Saobhaidhe the "easy" way

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 pm

That's interesting... I've been putting off this hill whilst the Dunmaglass windfarm is built by the other track approach. I didn't know of this alternative - and the track on Google Earth ends a long way short of the top. It looks like there is much more opportunity to find parking than on the Dunmaglass approach too.

Probably we'll be giving this one a go 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Interesting - I didn't know that this track went all the way to the summit. I drove up to the dam a few years ago when I was doing a bit of work on that hydro scheme (it was a bit rough for a car; fortunately it wasn't mine :shifty: ).

Paul - you can approach through Strathdearn as well. Longer, but not particularly hard walking. My report shows the full loop taking in the Dunmaglass and Strathdearn approaches.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:53 pm

This route looks well worth it, with the added attraction of the waterfalls. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:39 am

Paul / Malky / johnny I think google earth is well out of date it looks like it was done before the dam and power station was built which is several years. About three or four years ago there was a big landslide on the main track on the fairly level section just uphill from the fork for the dam but this has been cleared. I think it is used mainly by the shooting type people.
I remember the falls being very powerful, I think they have been badly affected by the run of river hydro scheme but worth a visit still, especially after long periods of rain or rapid snowmelt. There's always parking at the graveyard (famous last words) and probably several options on the verge on the single track farm road to Garthbeg
Sunset tripper

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland