walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ord Ban & Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus

Ord Ban & Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Route description: Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ord Ban

Date walked: 19/06/2011

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 275m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Sun 19/06/2011
Title - Ord Ban & Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus
Route - Up and down E side of Ord Ban followed by clockwise circuit of Loch an Eilein
Weather - Warm, patchy sunshine, very light breeze
People - Me
Time - 2h 30m
Distance - 7.5km
Ascent - 275m

Ord Ban & Loch an Eilein (Route GPX) 19-06-11.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had some time restraints today so looked for something short and close to home. Part of Rothiemurchus Estate, Loch an Eilein is a couple of miles south of Inverdruie.

Ord Ban is a small hill on the NW side of the loch. It’s not part of the WH route or mentioned in any of the leaflets/tourist maps the car park warden gives you, but it is easily accessed if you’re here. Behind the toilet block is a stile that takes you over the deer fence- once over follow the fence line for 50m or so on a faint path before it strikes left toward the hill. The path is a bit overgrown and faint at times but otherwise its easy going weaving through the trees and gets you to the summit rapidly (approx 30 mins). The summit has decent views N down into Aviemore, across to Meall a Bhuachaille, Loch Morlich and on to the bulk of the Cairngorms, continuing round to Newtonmore/Kingussie way and the Drumochter Hills and then over W to the Monadhliath area.

Once I’d finished Ord Ban I sat by Loch an Eilein for a bite to eat before starting a circuit walking round it. All easy going on good trails – completed in just over an hour. You could spend a lot more time here following the many side paths leading to the shoreline or stopping at various spots with nice views across the Loch. There’s also the option of detouring round the smaller Loch Gamhna (S of Loch an Eilein) but I didn’t bother today.

Stile

The path zig-zags up through the trees

The trees thin out the higher you get allowing a view into the Cairngorms. (Cairn Gorm left of centre)

Approaching the summit plateau a heather covered rocky outcrop blocks the way- easily dealt with by following the path to the left

Looking back along the last stretch of path to the summit

Summit

N to Aviemore

Meall a' Bhuachaille

Cairn Gorm

Braeriach massif

Loch Insh & Drumochter hills

W to Duke of Gordon's Monument

I considered using this path leading S from the summit for my descent,
but checking the map (Harveys) it stops dead a good bit from the Loch an Eilein track. It's not marked on the OS map at all. I didn't fancy a potential bash through the forest today so returned the same way I came up.

20 mins later I was back at the shore of Loch an Eilein and began walking a clockwise circuit round the loch

Castle on island

It's possible to extend the Loch an Eilein circuit by going round Loch Gamhna as well. Cutting it fine for time I chose not to. Took this pic of the NE end of it from the bridge between the two lochs.

Contining on the track on the E side of Loch an Eilein, there's several spots between the trees offering open views of the loch

Nearly back at the start. Last look out over the loch

Sat down for a rest - peace soon broken by a dog who decided it was having duck for dinner :lol:

Enjoyed this walk- nice and simple outing with lots of variety...wee hill, big mountain views, lochs, castle ruin, forests, monument, etc. :D
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Ord Ban & Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus

Postby ndhudson » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:51 pm

"wee hill, big mountain views, lochs, castle ruin, forests, monument, etc..."
Don't forget K9 duck stalking. ;)

Sounds like a wonderful Sunday jaunt!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Lovely pics Scott. I wondered about this for a potential evening stroll when I'm up at Glenmore Lodge next month. Good to get some info from this nice wee report. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:17 am

Thanks for posting, good to see pics of Loch an Eilean again. We used to picnic there as a family when we holidayed at Glenmore every August in the 60's. You could take the car right to the edge of the loch then and it was always quiet. I see the Ord Ban path is getting overgrown, it's not getting many visitors. Pity, because it's got great views of speyside, Rothiemurchus and the Cairngorms.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:16 am

This report should be called "Pure Scotland" or "The taste of Highlands" :D :D It has a bit of almost every Scottish attraction, apart from coastal cliffs and scrambling! Shame the castle is not accessible.
Did the dog catch this poor bird? :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Timely reminder, thanks - love this area - back up here for 2 weeks with bikes and boots at the end of July (maybe the weather will be better by then :? ) can't wait
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby baggervance » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Nice report

Been round here with the dogs on a number of occasions - very relaxing if you don't include the hill :lol:

BV
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby kinley » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Cheers for that - a lot of good memories of early morning walks there.

Been meaning to get up Ord Ban too :)
kinley

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Cheers folks :D

BlackPanther wrote:Did the dog catch this poor bird?

Nah, the dog didn't stand a chance of catching 'em :lol:
It was actually well behaved- obeying the owners calls to leave them. Either that, or it realised it was a wasted effort!
HighlandSC

Postby Gibson Jones » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks for this post and the details you have included.

I will be up in Nethy Bridge this weekend and was looking for a nice walk with a wee climb and this ticks all the boxes.
Gibson Jones
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:30 pm

No problem. I hope you enjoy the walk :)
HighlandSC

Postby Frigate » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 pm

Fond memories of staying at Forest Cottage, an estate property but lived in by my wife's great Aunt (her son still stays there). First time I visited we arrived at the alloted time to find know one at home, doors open, baking in the oven. So we strolled round the garden and lawns in to the trees calling for Auntie Mary, then we heard a small voice answering.
After a bit of a search we were lead by the voice back to the cottage, where we found Mary up on the tin roof paint brush in hand - she was only 77 at the time.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland