walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ultimate guide to the munros vol. 5

Ultimate guide to the munros vol. 5

Postby james_baker_101 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Has anyone heard anything about volume 5 of Ralph Storer's Ultimate Guide to the Munros (presumably covering Cairngorms North)?
james_baker_101

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:19   

Re: Ultimate guide to the munros vol. 5

Postby Tinto63 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:56 pm

This is not shown on the Luath Press website, so probably not published yet... not a fan of Ralph Storer's writing style, although the guides are certainly comprehensive, with plenty of route variations. A useful addition to Munro literature but will be very expensive for all 282!
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby OpenC » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:27 am

Looking forward to it personally; I've really enjoyed all the other volumes and I find his books much more useful when it comes to considering routes than the traditional big coffee table books which generally detail single routes (additionally, I like his irreverent writing style a lot, although I can understand others not approving).

Volume 4 inspired me to visit parts of the country that I had never even considered before; I had a bit of a Cairngorms epiphany last year, and it was in no small part down to that book.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby DunstableDasher » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:19 am

Still no news on publication date then ?
DunstableDasher
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Hewitts:100
Wainwrights:177   

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:26 pm

I've always enjoyed his books, I like the choice of routes and also the specific detail in an amusing format regarding the routes in winter, together with detail from a photographic perspective. Clearly some footwork involved to provide this level as opposed to some of the more 'famous' writers of Munro books.... well anyone can do a book of the 'usual' routes up and down :wink:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Tinto63 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:58 pm

Not included in the future publications on the Luath Press website.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby OpenC » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:22 pm

At last :)

http://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Ralph-Storer/The-Ultimate-Guide-to-the-Munros--Cairngorms-North-Volume-5/18566451

I appear to have just bought the last copy from this site but it looks to be available elsewhere (not Amazon though)

160 pages which makes it a bit bigger than his slender volume on Cairngorms South. Love his books and his writing, though - my absolute favourite mountain guidebooks, and I liked his book of short essays about mountains and climbing as well (can't remember what it was called, though :lol:)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby AJNicholls » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 am

AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby OpenC » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Arrived this morning, just in time for me setting out for Bynack More in a couple of hours :)

A thicker book than the last one but on non-glossy paper (which feels cheaper but also feels less likely to come out at the spine like all my other ones have). Based on reading up the routes that I know myself, it seems as exhaustively researched as ever, and he's also including information for mountain bikers in this one.

Look forward to having a proper read of it as I'm settling down to go to sleep in the car this evening :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby OpenC » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Yeah, happy to confirm after a couple of days with it that this is as good as ever and well worth a go if you like the four first ones.

Looking forward to the rest; best guidebooks since Wainwright for me, and I can read them over and over without even planning to climb the routes I'm reading. I'm nearly sure the West Highlands, when it comes out, will get the North/South treatment but I'm sure the Northern Highlands and the Islands will go into one.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby OpenC » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:16 pm

Bump

I guess this has run out before it reached the Western Highlands, then. Real shame, it was a series I enjoyed a lot and it never let me down - best books I know for describing potential difficulties on routes. As I posted seven years ago, I can understand people not approving - his writing is not for everyone - but I loved them.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby Kendrum » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:41 am

You could contact Luath Press and ask if it's in the pipeline. And if it's not, then maybe it'll prompt them to talk to the writer about it.
Kendrum

Munros:41   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion