walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Losing my nerve on The Ring of Steall (Glen Nevis/Day 3)

Losing my nerve on The Ring of Steall (Glen Nevis/Day 3)

Postby Gavsco » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:08 am

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: An Gearanach

Date walked: 06/09/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 966m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 3 (Friday) of our Glen Nevis adventure, and the forecast was looking good for the day at least, it was to be crap the next day, the day we'd planned to go for The Ring of Steall. Michael was hoping to join us later on the Friday, but phoned to say he wouldn't be driving up from the Borders to be rained off on Saturday! Anyway...Neil and I decided to try for The Ring while the weather was this good, so off we went!
We parked at the Lower Falls and walked along the road towards Steall Falls.
SAM_1998.JPG
The road to Steall Falls, with Meall Cumhann at the back and Aonach Beag (?) behind that!
DSC_0124 (Small).JPG
Should we turn back now?? Na!!
DSC_0126 (Small).JPG
Neil, and Steall Falls.

We reached the wire bridge, and decided to leave it ( I cant swim and the pool looked REALLY deep!) and cross the river by wading across at a shallow bit.
SAM_2006.JPG
Nope...no way!
SAM_2011.JPG
Warning... low flying jet!
SAM_2019.JPG
Where we crossed the river, nice and cool!
SAM_2020.JPG
Looking down the gorge to Carn Dearg.
SAM_2023.JPG
A long way down!

The steep path zigzags up An Gearanach and is quite eroded in parts, and reaches a grassy area where we could see the days walk ahead of us, and looking back across the valley we had excellent views of Ben Nevis with Carn Mor Dearg just to its right.
DSC_0130 (Small).JPG
Am Bodach and Sgurr an Lubhair lying ahead.
DSC_0128 (Small).JPG
Ben Nevis
SAM_2032.JPG
Looking up the valley with a pointy Binnein Beag on the right.

We continued up the path to the summit of An Gearanach where we stopped for a breather and to have a look at what lay ahead.
DSC_0131-1 (Small).jpg
Looking good!
SAM_2034.JPG
Neil at the summit.
While we sat, we were passed by a walker who we'd noticed a wee bit behind us on the ascent, and a few minutes later we were joined by a couple of his mates who asked if we'd seen him. We found him having a cuppa just along the path, and they explained they'd come up from Glasgow that morning with the intention of doing the Ring, so, as a group we set off along the narrow ridge to An Garbhanach.
SAM_2038.JPG
The narrowing path to An Garbhanach.
SAM_2039.JPG
Nearing the top of An Garbhanach.
I have to say that I was starting to get a bit nervous by now as the path ahead seemed to disappear among the rocks, as we approached the summit of An Garbhanach one of the other guys, who'd done the Ring before, had gone ahead and was standing on a pretty non existent path with a big drop, encouraging us to join him! Two of the other guys declined as they didn't feel safe, and that was enough for me, and was with a sense of relief , for me at least, we retraced our steps back down.
SAM_2045.JPG
Back on the level.

Once down, a began to feel really annoyed with myself for not at least trying to get further, and I vowed to return and complete what I'd started...roll on next year!
Gavsco
Mountaineer

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:43   

Re: Losing my nerve on The Ring of Steall (Glen Nevis/Day 3)

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:43 pm

When you don't feel safe is always the right time to turn back. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland