walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Steakfest Ben Ime, Narnain and the Cobbler

Steakfest Ben Ime, Narnain and the Cobbler

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 20/07/2013

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi Peeps,

This is my first walk report on Walk Highlands so forgive me if it's a bit basic lacking photos or any technical walk data.

But this was an epic day which I just had to share briefly with you.

Caught the Oban bus from Glasgow Buchanan Street and arrived at Succoth car park around 9.30am.

Stepped across the road and straight up the zig zag forest route and onwards up to the Cobbler, Ben Ime, Ben Narnain tri - junction cross roads.

Had a few brief words with some randoms who had decended from the Cobbler before deciding to tackle Ben Ime, the highest of the three in this immediate area.

Found Ime to be a bit of a boggy, slog before reaching firmer ground just before the top.

Sat down at the mist shrouded summit and fired up a Steakfest in the company of four chaps from Germany and a few other 'kindred spirits' who had made the ascent that day.

As the chaps von Deutchland took photos of my wheel trim BBQ and the sizzling Rib Eyes and compared it with there curly sandwiches the mist cleared and revealed the 'Rest and Be Thankfull' below and the panoramic views around.

My 'sacrificial offerings' to the Gods' had worked and as I sat there munching on steak n' pasta enjoying the views the day just got better and better.

Tidied up and yomped it back down Ime another Munro ticked, dumped the pack and claimed Narnain next.

Whilst at the summit of Narnain the evening turned into a quiet, peacefull, clear blue sky extravaganza and the views where just too much for the human mind to compute.

I checked the time of the last bus and the view across to the Cobbler and made a snap decision to bag this last Corbett for the trio of the day.

It was around 6pm when I reached the Needle, the evening was clear and warm and the rock was dry under foot. There was a random couple at the top whom I had talked to earlier.

I poked my head through the eye of the needle tentatively and was goaded with the words 'Are you going all the way?'
from the couple looking on in bemusement.

I replied ' No way' and just sat for a while looking at the views. Then something prompted m to investigate the ledge beyond the eye and before long I was standing at the top of the Needle with an ' OMG' shout from Mark and his girl.

Who quickly took the snap and kindly sent it onto me by email.

So Ime, Narnain and the Needle all bagged in one epic day, but I had missed the last bus.

Luckily however I had brought my tent with me, as the main purpose of the walk that day had been to test out my kit and it's weight before heading up to the peaks of the Llarig Ghru and the Cairngorms the following week which I also completed successfully.

So finally arrived at the Arrochar campsite, pitched tent, had a well earned beer at the Bothy before settling down for what turned out to be a rain soaked night.

The next day was heavy downpours all day so packed up my soggy tent and headed home on the first bus out of Arrochar.

Wet but happy that I'd done the Arrochars justice that day.

I have been back since and threaded the Needle twice more, the third had a steakfest on the Needle much to the annoyance of some 'random' yap from Carlisle whom I hope is reading this and whom I hope to have the pleasure of meeting again.

Before her embarrassing input of the day, I had shared the space, swapped drinks and photos of the day with other 'kindred spirits' who realise that the hills are for everyone to enjoy, as they wish, with respect to the environment and that thankfully we still have the right to roam and stay as long as we want to at the summit of any hill we have bagged weather permitting of course and not to be subjected to the embarrassing outburst of petulance t of others who do not share this spirit of freedom :lol:
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland