walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knott just the Uldale Fells

Knott just the Uldale Fells

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brae Fell, Great Cockup, Great Sca Fell, Knott, Longlands Fell, Meal Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Knott

Date walked: 14/09/2013

Time taken: 5

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 700m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In order to keep up the momentum of our bagging weekend we headed back to the Lakes to mop up the Uldale fells in the far north of the park. I had plotted out a route that took in six fells from Longlands, one of the few places you can park in this neck of the woods. Given the great forecast and the quiet reputation of these fells we hadn't particularly rushed over the A66 and got a bit of a nasty shock to find the limited parking very close to used up. Fortunately I was able to squeeze off the road and we set off on my slightly inelegant hummingbird :shock: shaped route (see below).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There was a lovely chill in the air as we set off but it wasn't long before we warmed up on our way up Longlands Fell. The cool air was providing superb visibility with not only Criffel but the higher hills of Galloway behind clearly visible.
Longlands Fell quickly came and went along with the Birkett top of Lowthwaite Fell before we contoured round towards Brae Fell.

Setting out by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Binsey by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

First of the Day by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Lowthwaite and Longlands Fells by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Brae Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The views from here were fairly similar to Longlands, if slightly more extensive to the East so onwards we went to our lunch date on Little Sca Fell. This is a nice top with an unusual sunken summit shelter and it made a fine place for our repast. As is often the case this minor top is clearly superior to the main top of Great Sca Fell which is flat boggy and fairly dreary.

Great Sca Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Much the same could be said of the trudge up Knott, the high point of our walk. I’d be lying if a few thoughts along the lines of “why am I doing this?” didn't cross my mind on the way up. The reward for the trudge was a magnificent summit view that lacked in depth but little else. The visibility was superb with views to the north stretching around 70 miles with distant hills like the Cheviot clearly visible. To the South the views denied us so far opened up with the skyline of the Eskdale round standing out very clearly. We lingered awhile taking it all in before heading back to the shallow col and then steeply down the open grassy fell side towards Meal Fell.

Trudging up Knott by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Blencathra from Knott by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The Scafells beyond Great Calva by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace and Hughie on Knott by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

High Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Fell Side Textures by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking towards Meal Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Uldale Fells by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

For big version follow the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkaysleftleg/9840987916/in/photostream/lightbox/

Meal Fell has a fine summit shelter giving it the sense of being a little fort in the middle of the hills and we enjoyed a bit more fuel and a bit of a sit down. The final fell of the round, the intriguingly named Great Cockup, looks very close from here but there’s a fair drop down to the pass of Trusmadoor before an initially steep ascent.

Family shot on Meal Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Trusmadoor by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Trusmadoor from the ascent of Great Cockup by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

It was while we were crossing Trusmadoor when I made the innocent comment of it looking like a great place for a wild camp that set Graces imagination running riot. Needless to say we are now checking out reviews of lightweight tents, sleeping bags etc with dreams of a summit camp on Sgurr Na Stri or such like. My daughter isn't easily dissuaded once she gets something in her head so I’d say sooner or later it will happen. :lol:
The main feature of Great Cockup is its view of Skiddaw behind the impressive Dead Crags of Bakerstall, otherwise its a bit nondescript and we soon headed down the open fell side before making our way along a lovely path above Longlands Beck.

Back O'Skiddaw by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace and Hughie on Great Cockup by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Heading down from Great Cockup by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Many might consider these fells a bit boring but for me there is far more drama and interest in this landscape than is obvious upon initial viewing. The Uldale fells are like walking in another area altogether as they are so different too much of the Lakes, I for one could spend many a happy day wandering around this part of the world and I suspect I will do just that in the coming years.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Knott just the Uldale Fells

Postby colgregg » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:21 pm

I did this walk today (minus Knott). I likened them to the howgills and certainly not boring. Thanks for the inspiration!!
Tagged on Binsey and the Latrigg by the Easy route from the car park at it's North side. With no O.S. map ( my lakes maps don't go that far North) I quickly printed a section off from H.W. I should have paid more attention to your trip report as I nearly missed Brae Fell as I'd headed for Little Sca Fell directly from Lowthwaite Fell. Fortunately for the first time ever I took a Wainwright Book with me to compensate for the lack of mapping and did a there and back from Little Sca Fell.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 pm

colgregg wrote:I did this walk today (minus Knott). I likened them to the howgills and certainly not boring. Thanks for the inspiration!!
Tagged on Binsey and the Latrigg by the Easy route from the car park at it's North side. With no O.S. map ( my lakes maps don't go that far North) I quickly printed a section off from H.W. I should have paid more attention to your trip report as I nearly missed Brae Fell as I'd headed for Little Sca Fell directly from Lowthwaite Fell. Fortunately for the first time ever I took a Wainwright Book with me to compensate for the lack of mapping and did a there and back from Little Sca Fell.

You're welcome Col, I often taken AWs books just to have a little look at while I'm eating, seldom use them for navigation.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby walsh581 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:05 am

We did exactly the same route just 4 days earlier. I agree with you, it is a lovely unspoiled area and we thoroughly enjoyed the openness and solitude - we saw one chap on Meal Fell and that was it. Like you, we took some lovely pictures.

Dave
walsh581
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:122

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:36 pm

walsh581 wrote:We did exactly the same route just 4 days earlier. I agree with you, it is a lovely unspoiled area and we thoroughly enjoyed the openness and solitude - we saw one chap on Meal Fell and that was it. Like you, we took some lovely pictures.

Dave

Thanks Dave, lets not shout too loudly about just how lovely this part of the world is, wouldn't want it to get too popular :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby walsh581 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:15 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
walsh581 wrote:We did exactly the same route just 4 days earlier. I agree with you, it is a lovely unspoiled area and we thoroughly enjoyed the openness and solitude - we saw one chap on Meal Fell and that was it. Like you, we took some lovely pictures.

Dave

Thanks Dave, lets not shout too loudly about just how lovely this part of the world is, wouldn't want it to get too popular :wink:

I agree John!! We have now completed the Northern Fells and I have to admit I was sad to do so. We will definitely be back to repeat some of our favourites.
walsh581
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:122

Postby clivegrif » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Another beauty there JKLL!

Yet another group of Lakeland hills I haven't done yet, but they do look good.

Once again a lovely set of pictures that capture the area wonderfully.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:04 pm

clivegrif wrote:Another beauty there JKLL!

Yet another group of Lakeland hills I haven't done yet, but they do look good.

Once again a lovely set of pictures that capture the area wonderfully.

Thanks Clive, you have plenty to look forward to once you finish the Welsh Hewitts.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby foggieclimber » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:46 am

Useful report thanks. Think I'll do this route in 2-3 weeks time when I'm down in the Lakes.
Good luck with wild camping at the summit of Sgurr na Stri - fantastic viewpoint.
foggieclimber

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:11 am

foggieclimber wrote:Useful report thanks. Think I'll do this route in 2-3 weeks time when I'm down in the Lakes.
Good luck with wild camping at the summit of Sgurr na Stri - fantastic viewpoint.

Cheers Foggie, it's a lovely little corner of the lakes. Wild camping is on hold for the moment but we are off to sky next May so fingers crossed it all comes together.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi Anthony

A great part of the Lake District and i did the same route minus Knott earlier in the year with my son.. I think they are special hills and far from boring, the silence and the solitude up here is wonderful.
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:26 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Hi Anthony

A great part of the Lake District and i did the same route minus Knott earlier in the year with my son.. I think they are special hills and far from boring, the silence and the solitude up here is wonderful.

Alright mate, certainly on my re-do list once I complete.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby simon-b » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:52 pm

I agree with the general enthusiasm shown on this thread for this part of Lakeland; it makes a nice change from the more celebrated parts of the district. If parking space is taken up at Longlands, there's a little car park I've sometimes used near Over Water. Go about 1km south-west from where you parked and turn right, and the car park's on the r.h.s. near the bridge over the stream.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:32 pm

simon-b wrote:I agree with the general enthusiasm shown on this thread for this part of Lakeland; it makes a nice change from the more celebrated parts of the district. If parking space is taken up at Longlands, there's a little car park I've sometimes used near Over Water. Go about 1km south-west from where you parked and turn right, and the car park's on the r.h.s. near the bridge over the stream.

That's good to know Simon, we came very close to a change of plan on this day which would have been a great shame.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby richardkchapman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:53 am

Having set myself the target of completing all the Wainwrights before my 60th birthday, the Northern Fells were the ones I was least looking forward to... but reports like this are making me start to revise that view!

Great report, and lovely photos. Especially liked the black and white one.
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:95
Wainwrights:211   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland