walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wet and Windy Week

A Wet and Windy Week

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Route description: The Pap of Glencoe

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 28/10/2013

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 716m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As with last year we decided to spend October half term at the same cottage in Glen Nevis. Also as with last year the weather turned out to not be the best, in fact last years weather was a lot better :shock:
I suppose we should be grateful that the "STORM OF THE CENTURY!" :roll: hit the South and not Scotland for once but it was a week of much wind, rain but fortunately the odd glimpse of sun. :D

With Sunday being written off we decided to attempt to climb at least one hill during the week and as the winds weren't quite gale force on the morning forecast a late decision was taken to pop down to Glencoe and climb the Pap.
As we pulled up at the parking area I noticed a couple heading off up a forestry track. By the time we were getting ready they returned and asked which way was it to climb the mountain. I wasn't sure they were quite dressed for it but once I'd pointed at the pap and asked "that one?" I sent them off South East down the road ( they had been going in the opposite direction initially) and said keep going and you'll find the start of the path up. The obviously European couple thanked me and happily set off. By the time we set off along the path next to the road who should turn up but the couple once again. They had walked along the road until they found the first path and followed it back to the parking area. Once again I set them onwards with greater concern at them heading up anything higher than the stairs on a day of, what was at best, mixed weather. Once we negotiated the cows just after the gate we could see the couple making good progress up the track. Unfortunately they walked straight past the path up the hill that goes over the small bridge and onwards up the forestry track. :roll:

We did notice them on the correct path a little later but fortunately their summit attempt was abandoned probably as the path started to get more rocky as we didn't see them again or hear of a rescue from the Anoach Eagach that afternoon. :wink:

The walk it'self was made quite a bit more challenging by the conditions with the heavy rains causing the bogs to be particularly boggy and the rocks to be wet and slippy so progress was quite slow but we eventually battled through the rain and wind (and some times sun!) to make the summit. We were granted the Pap's magnificent summit panorama as we had lunch which was every bit as wonderful at it looks like it should be from the road. Fortunately we made it down from the rocky summit dome just before a stinging hail shower hit us along with a strengthening of the wind. We were well drawked by the time we got back to the car but happy that we'd at least got to the top of a hill during the week.

Glencoe by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Showers by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Seven times Sun, Seven times Rain by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Rugged by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace on the summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking towards Kinlochleven by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

I'm Going to get Wet Soon by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

A Splash of Light by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

I drove around to Glencoe early on Tuesday and following a frustrating time chasing the light up and down the A82, I nabbed my version of the classic chocolate box shot of the big Bookill.

The One That Got Away by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The day was a bright but very windy so we headed west to visit the singing sands. We followed the Walkhighlands route for what was a very pleasant walk with some beautiful views. We didn't get the sands to sing but saw some wonderful rainbows as the showers blew through.

Ben Resipol from Kentra Bay by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Kentra Bay by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Best mates by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Two for one by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Somewhere.... by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Eigg and Rhum by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

West Coast Sunset by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

A dry morning (before another deluge) on Wednesday was spent walking along to Steall Falls. We've visited twice previously but this wonderful location just doesn't get old.

Steall Falls Mono by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Water of Nevis by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Big Ben by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Upper Glen Nevis by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

To say the weather Thursday was poor is an understatement with rain and strong winds battering Fort William. Heeding some advice I once heard for when it's raining in the West, we headed further west and ended up on the Silver Sands of Morar where an amazing transformation occurred as the clouds parted in biblical fashion to utterly transform the day.

When it's Wet in the West... by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Retreating clouds by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Sand patterns by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Rocky shore by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Our week was rounded of with a soggy wander up the glen on the Friday. We certainly didn't end up doing what we planned during the week but still had a good time in overall visiting some places we hadn't planned on.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Wet and Windy Week

Postby malky_c » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 am

Bugger me, is that some sunshine? You obviously have to leave town to find it, as I've barely seen any in the last couple of weeks! Some nice shots of the coast and autumn colours, although I bet you had to pick your moment to get most of them.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:13 am

Lovely photos as always
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Fabulous photos! I've always said I had no need to go south of the Great Glen, but maybe you have just changed my mind...
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:44 am

malky_c wrote:Bugger me, is that some sunshine? You obviously have to leave town to find it, as I've barely seen any in the last couple of weeks! Some nice shots of the coast and autumn colours, although I bet you had to pick your moment to get most of them.

A few flashes of it Malky :wink: yes it was a case of grabbing the moment or in the case of the BEM shot waiting for it.

Johnny Corbett wrote:Lovely photos as always

Cheers Johnny

AnnieMacD wrote:Fabulous photos! I've always said I had no need to go south of the Great Glen, but maybe you have just changed my mind...

Thanks Annie.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:51 pm

I wondered what the view was like from the Pap when we followed the path up Sgorr nam Fiannaidh. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:18 am

dogplodder wrote:I wondered what the view was like from the Pap when we followed the path up Sgorr nam Fiannaidh. :D

It's well worth returning, it's a wonderful view.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby laconic surf » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Cracking photos. Looked like a good trip despite the weather

It was all looking a little different when i passed through late yesterday afternoon :D

laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:22 pm

laconic surf wrote:Cracking photos. Looked like a good trip despite the weather

It was all looking a little different when i passed through late yesterday afternoon :D

Cheers, great to see the Big Bookil with it's winter coat on.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:17 pm

What a great looking trip you had, your photos, as always are stunning.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Sarah86 wrote:What a great looking trip you had, your photos, as always are stunning.

Thanks Sarah, even with dodgy weather a week in Scotland is always great.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Cracking trip, truly awesome photos, especially "A Splash of Light"

Excellent :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:01 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Cracking trip, truly awesome photos, especially "A Splash of Light"

Excellent :clap:

Cheers John
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland