walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not the Meall I was Expecting

Not the Meall I was Expecting

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 17/11/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 4.73 km

Ascent: 685m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Apologies for another dreadful pun-titled walk report. I shall keep this one brief as i've had a few lately :lol:

My original intention had been to do the 4 munros from Invervar. Alarm set for ridiculous-o-clock and I was off at 6:30am. Annoyingly, upon arriving at Invervar, I found that not only was the gate locked, but the estate have surrounded it with high steel security fencing. Are they secretly working on another Area 51?

If the estate are genuinely having trouble with deer numbers and still culling, I'd respectfully suggest they find out what on earth the gamekeeper is playing at.

Anyway, onto Plan B. AnneJ and myself had abandoned Meall nan Tarmachan due to cack weather on the Friday before the meet, and having done the Lawers Range, I decided to nip up Meall nan Tarmachan instead. It was a cracking morning and i hoped to get some good photos. Glen Lyon is beautiful, and if nothing else, I now have a good excuse to come back to it.

The Lairig road was a tad icy in places, making an emergency stop to avoid hitting a Range Rover who seemed completely oblivious to passing places quite entertaining.

Anyway got a nice view of the reservoir on the way to the Lawers Car Park.

Meall nan Tarmachan-0017.jpg
Lairig Dam

I parked up (£2.00 charge) and got moving up the hill. Lovely views of the Lawers Range opened up fairly quickly.

Meall nan Tarmachan-0020.jpg
Meall Corranaich and Beinn Ghlas

It's a quick walk up to the gate, and shortly once round the corner, you get a nice view of the ridge itself, and down to Loch Tay and Killin. The sky was a nice shade of blue also!

Meall nan Tarmachan-0025.jpg
Nice Skies

It's a short walk to the first top, and a cracking view of Lawers etc was to be had. The dam also looked like a toy from this height.

Meall nan Tarmachan-0034.jpg
Tiny Dam

There's then a wee drop down, a stile to negotiate and then through the bealach and onto the final stretch, which is a steepish series of stone steps. Normally very handy but not when harbouring a thin covering of ice :lol:

It was now starting to cloud over which was a bit annoying, but also resulted in some nice rays on Loch Tay.

Meall nan Tarmachan-0045.jpg
Rays

I was soon at the summit, enjoying a serious unhealthy coffee and not enjoying the fact that i'd left my sandwich in the boot of the car. Still, a lovely view from the summit cairn.

Meall nan Tarmachan-0048.jpg
Cairn

It was pretty nippy on top and with the lure of a cheese piece sitting in the car, I was soon heading back down. Got a pretty cool shot of the sun's rays bouncing up off Loch Tay as well. I've never seen this before!

Meall nan Tarmachan-0065.jpg
Bouncing Rays

Meall nan Tarmachan-0077.jpg
Bouncing Rays - Zoomed

After this it was a quick jaunt back to the car park, passing a mass of walkers heading up the way. Weirdly as i got to the car, the inversion which had been hanging over the loch all day moved up the hill the disappeared.

Although unplanned, this was a very satisfying day. :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Not the Meall I was Expecting

Postby simon-b » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:10 pm

A great day for views, JP, which you caught well with your photos. Would you have completed the ridge if you'd remembered your sandwich?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks Simon.

No, my intention was to do the Munro then nip to Killin and a few other places for photos before it got dark. I'll come back in summer and do the whole thing with my other half.

And sandwiches....
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby dishdashdott » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Great hill and great walk report. Really concerning to hear about issues at Invervar though. I've had problems there and apparently I'm not alone - Worth passing on this information to the local access officer.
dishdashdott
Mountain Walker

Munros:63   Corbetts:10

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:36 pm

It's extremely disappointing. I wish I'd taken a photo to pass on.

However I think ill email P&K's Access Officer tomorrow.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby PeteR » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Some super photos John Paul :clap:

Shame about the sarnies, as the ridge is much the best feature on this walk - still ranks as one of my favourite hills. Still, you'll be able to discover the joys of the ridge another time :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Lovely set of photos as always, the lighting is perfect. That road always worries me in the winter, hoping to head that way next weekend so hopefully it is ok!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby GillC » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:19 pm

As ever,,smashing pics there JP

Amazing almost all the snow has gone since me and Tomsie were up that way 2 weeks ago. Ive done the ones at Invervar,, couple of years ago now right enough,,interested to see what the score is with gates and fencing,,do keep us in the loop.

G :D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Nice photographs JP! on a lovely looking day, pity about the horseshoe though! Either you passed me or I passed you as I was doing the two Glen Lyon Corbetts from Innerwick, fine day for walking :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby yellowbelly » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Annoyingly, upon arriving at Invervar, I found that not only was the gate locked, but the estate have surrounded it with high steel security fencing. Are they secretly working on another Area 51?

We ignored their signs last month. Just go behind the building and hop over the small fence - or alternatively walk further down the road and take the next path on the right ignoring their signs to keep out (this is their "exit" signed route).
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland