walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

9 - 5 on Binnein Mor and Na Gruagaichean: Kinlochleven Day 1

9 - 5 on Binnein Mor and Na Gruagaichean: Kinlochleven Day 1

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:04 am

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 09/11/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1410m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the Saturday of the Kinlochleven meet organised by Alistair (weaselmaster) and Alison (Battie72) and surprisingly nearly everybody was up and fighting fit by the back of 8.

After an evening catching up and making plans in the hostel and the MacDonald Hotel, a fairly large group had declared themselves up for the Binnein Mor - Na Gruaghaichean route. And so I set off through the village in the company of eight others, none of whom I had walked with before - Kev, Stuart and Hayley (the Hawick lads and lass), Barrie (Tina Bonar) and Colleen, Sue (Rum Truffle), Louise and Evie (Sunny Speyside).

8.30am - leaving the Blackwater Hostel

We headed up the path past the church and into the trees around the Grey Mare's Tail waterfall. Soon we were blundering around making heavy work of the network of paths and junctions in the trees and struggling to get an accurate picture from maps and GPS devices. At least others seemed to be in the same boat - at one point we encountered Paul, Helen, Pete and Pat retracing their steps and informing us that we were heading the wrong way!

Through the woods between the church and the Grey Mare's Tail

Still all present and correct

Back across Loch Leven

Kinlochleven and Garbh Bheinn

Kinlochleven and Loch Leven

Alistair and Alison soon powered past us - they looked like they were on a mission, or at least Alistair did. Then we took our first hit when Evie and Hayley bailed out. The drizzle was now getting steadier and thicker as we gained height and it didn't look too promising for the day ahead.

Taking a wee breather after the steep climb out of town

We parted company with Paul, Helen, Pete and Pat at the junction on the stalker's path where they headed for the Corbett Glas Bheinn and the remaining seven in our group headed around the other side of Loch Eilde Mor and towards Sgurr Eilde Beag.

Now two down - at the junction shortly after parting company with Helen, Paul, Pete and Pat

Heading for Loch Eilde Mor

Sgurr Eilde Beag

Sue (Rum Truffle) and Louise, and the view back towards Kinlochleven

Loch Eilde Mor in the foreground and Blackwater Reservoir in the background

Sue was the next to return to the hostel and then we were six. At least the weather seemed to be improving with growing patches of blue sky forming overhead.

As we contoured around the lower slopes of Sgurr Eilde Beag, we could see Alistair and Alison taking the direct route up the slopes rather than swinging around the back as per the more common route. Stories had reached us of large overhanging cornices and avalanche debris round in the coire, so we decided to follow them up the direct slopes.

I led the way, attempting to follow Alistair and Alison and the steps they had kicked on their way up. At times I lost them and had to kick my own steps - heavy going in the rising temperatures as the sun increasingly burned through.

Climbing Sgurr Eilde Beag above Loch Eilde Mor - Colleen, Louise, Stuart (Radman) and Barrie (Tina Bonar)

Then our numbers were further reduced when Louise decided she had seen enough and beat a retreat back to the hostel, leaving five of us to soldier on.

As we gained height past the steepest and most powdery parts of the ascent, Sgurr Eilde Mor began to shine white like a beacon away across the lochan to our right and we soon passed Alistair and Alison as they sat having lunch and admiring the views.

Kev and Barrie

Sgurr Eilde Mor and Sgurr Eilde Beag

Trudging towards the main Mamores ridge - Alistair and Alison in our sights

Sgurr Eilde Beag

Sgurr Eilde Mor - a surreal vision in white

Lunchtime for Alistair and Alison

Another wee breather

Some more Sgurr Eilde Mor

We were soon onto the ridge and could see the way ahead up the ridge to Binnein Mor. What we couldn't see at this stage were the huge cornices on the south side of the ridge that made foot placement a little nerve racking when the ridge tapered towards the narrow summit. There was even one that resembled a gargoyle!

Reaching the main ridge and a view of the way ahead to Binnein Mor

Let's take this bad boy down!

Summit of Binnein Mor

Barrie and the Gargoyle - Barrie's the one on the right!

Stuart summiting

Alistair and Alison joined us at the summit and we exchanged the necessary group photos before returning to the bealach where we sat in the relative shelter of the south side of the ridge and had lunch.

The five survivors at the summit of Binnein Mor

If I'm looking a little unhappy, it's less to do with the fact that I've just claimed my 150th Munro and more to do with the fact that my eyeballs are literally being gouged out by the wind!

Strung out heading back down to the bealach

The twin tops of Na Gruaghaichean

Almost back at the bealach

Then it was along the thick, powdery, corniced ridge towards Na Gruaghaichean for Munro number two of what had turned out to be a superb early winter outing.

Back to Binnein Mor

Making tracks for Na Gruaghaichean

Yet more Sgurr Eilde Mor

On the ridge to Na Gruaghaichean

The Ring of Steall

Binnein Mor, Loch Eilde Mor and Blackwater

One heavily corniced ridge

Closing in on Na Gruaghaichean

Binnein Mor once more

Me and the Hawick lads on Na Gruaghaichean

Discussing the descent back to Kinlochleven

We descended towards the broad shoulder of Leachd an h-Aire but struck off south west before reaching it, instead staggering our way down rough slopes which became increasingly slippery and treacherous as we descended below the snow line.

Am Bodach and Stob Coire a'Chairn

Descending towards the broad shoulder of Leachd na h-Aire

About to bear south west on the slopes from hell

Back to Na Gruaghaichean

Paul had asked us if we could look out for a gate or stile over the deer fence at the bottom but despite a quick search, we could find no other way across but to climb the fence. Then it only remained to follow the narrow, winding path that lead back down past the Grey Mare's Tail into the village, where a swift libation stop was made at the Tailrace Inn before returning to HQ at the Blackwater Hostel.

Kinlochleven, Loch Leven and Garbh Bheinn

Loch Leven and Mam na Gualain
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: 9 - 5 on Binnein Mor and Na Gruagaichean: Kinlochleven D

Postby PeteR » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:04 am

Nice one Graeme :clap:

You got some excellent photos there, despite the mist and clag on the day. Looks like one tough route in that snow though. Some of those ridge shots look pretty daunting to me.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby davetherave » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:34 am

As you mentioned Graeme, a great early winters trip.

Im very jealous. I can only hope to get a winrers day similar 2 yours some time soon .

Looked like a fantastic outing.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:29 am

grand report Graham and an interesting day :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby malky_c » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:39 am

Looked like some good weather for the meet :) . Binnein Mor is a great hill in these conditions. I remember a similar day out about 10 years ago. The only time I've ever had to do a proper ice axe arrest was on the final approach to the summit of Binnein Mor. Fortunately the snow was a bit harder than it looks on your walk, and I only went a few meters before the axe bit into something.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Grand report and pics, Graeme - good shot of the Gargoyle too.
Belated congrate on getting to 150 - didn't realise that at the time :clap:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby tina bonar » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:44 pm

Great report and photos Graeme,felt like i was there again :shock:
We wouldn't have tackled this on our own but really enjoyed it with you and the Hawick Boys.Gaining experience is what these Meets are all about,that and the ale :D
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby RadMan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Think you've summed up the day brilliantly. Loving some of the ridge photos, especially the one that looks like silloetes heading a long the ridge with the sun trying to burst through.
Well done again on reaching 150, it was great to share the occasion with you. :clap:
RadMan
Munro compleatist

Munros:153   

Postby trekker53 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Graeme,

Looks like the 5 of you's who stuck it out had a good day out though maybe a bit tough in places. Some good ridge photos of the snow. Congrats on getting to 150 + 1. A better weekend then and more productive than the one on Skye.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Nice one , some great images of the ridges and summit. Glad to see you all got a cracking day...
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland