walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coming 4500 km from Russia to experience my first Munroo

Coming 4500 km from Russia to experience my first Munroo

Postby olga » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 am

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 05/09/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My name is Olga, I live in Russia. On September 2013 I came to UK on business trip (England and Wales) but my friends from Scotland invited me to join them for the trip to Munros. I did not know what to expect in details but as I belong (as my friends) to the type of people who are prepared for any adventure any time, I quickly agreed, got the ticket to Edinburgh and went to the airport. My way to Scotland was not easy. First I took 17 hours train from my city Saratov on the Volga river in the central Russia to Moscow, where I took the 4 hours flight to London, from London I went to Wales to meet some people on business, then I moved to Bristol and only from Bristol I found my chance to fly to Scotland. It took me about 4500 km before I could start my first trip to the Highlands of Scotland, my first Munro hill, it was Mount Keen. Thy day was fantastic, I was lucky, it was sunny, no rain. I fell in love at first glance with Scotland hills, my heart was jumping because of walking up but also because of the beauty around...My younger friend was quicker walking to the top, I lost her for some time and a new feeling came to me - I saw nobody around and I felt like I was alone in the world and all this nature and beauty were only for me... I felt like a young girl coming to her first date...with my heart jumping inside and my eyes full of love...On the top of the hill I put a small stone in the pocket. Now it is my talisman. It will help my heart to survive till the next meeting with Scotland Highlands and it will help me to believe when I will look at it during a very long Russian winter that my first sunny day at Munro was not a fairy tale...It will guide me to be back here again.
olga
Mountaineer

Re: Coming 4500 km from Russia to experience my first Munroo

Postby SuperMillie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 am

Hi Olga,

Welcome and congratulation on climbing your first Munro. Hopefully you will get back to Scotland soon and be able to explore more of our wonderful country.

If your intro is anything to go by, then I look forward to reading many more of your walk reports, and if anyone is thinking about coming to Scotland end experiencing our great outdoors, then that should be all the inspiration they need.

Supermillie
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:06 am

Hello Olga, wonderful! I'm very glad you enjoyed your first taste of the Scottish hills, and many congratulations on your first Munro ! :D Which way did you climb Mount Keen from the North or from Glen Eskimo in the South. Hope you took many photographs for your own record of your day. Hope you can come back soon and enjoy many more Scottish hills. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby GillC » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:02 pm

Welcome Olga

Lovely to hear your words, you obviously took Scotland to your heart. It is indeed a stunning place and I often share the joy you felt in the solitude you can fine up in the hills.

Hope you make it back soon. Gill :D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Well done Olga.

I'm never going to complain about a long trip to a munro again :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland