walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Bheinn

Glas Bheinn

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Glas Bheinn

Date walked: 10/11/2013

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last weekend I had a fantastic day out, the weather and conditions were just perfect... My dad who often has bother with very sore feet probably never expected to spend his Sunday off up a hill and in the snow! We set off nice and early not quite sure what to expect weather wise or what we would actually be doing. First we stopped off for some rolls near the bottom of buachaille etive mor which was looking lovely with a light layer of snow on top. Then we headed to Glas Bheinn, not sure of how far up we would get due to my dad and also the dog who may or may not have wanted to walk. There was a nice coating of snow on the hill, just enough to make it enjoyable.

Penny admiring the view

She didn't seem to mind the snow much and it wasn't that cold so no need for either of the two coats I had packed for her!

There was a lovely mix of the winter snow and autumn light

We got to what we thought was the top but as it often goes wit hill walking, it was actually a false summit! By this point my dad wasn't keen on going any further but said he would sit on a rock there and I could go on. I felt bad leaving him but I was too near to turn back so I practically ran uphill to the summit with Penny in tow.

Before long I was at the cairn, the lovely thing about these smaller hills is you still get a lovely view and most of the time you have the summit to yourself

Looking rather proud at getting to the top

On route to find her dad, the minute she spotted him she was off like a..... whippet :lol:

You can't beat a day like this

Ok I will pose again for you!

Time to head back down although I could have happily stayed up there for longer

I couldn't get enough of this view I thought it looked so pretty

On route home I spotted some lovely reflections through the trees and luckily there was a spot to pull up for some photos.

The sun was just starting to go down by now

On route home we quickly stopped off by loch Lubnaig as again I could see reflections but by now the sun had gone down but it was still pretty enough

I really enjoyed my day out, it was just what I needed as I hadn't been out walking properly for a couple of weekends and it really perked me up :)

I also spotted a new breed of deer on one of my more recent walks :lol: The reality is I bought this as a novelty as all the money goes to a dog charity. It did come in handy when I was at the top of The Cairnwell on Sunday there as it was strong winds on top and she isn't a hardy mountain dog!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Re: Glas Bheinn

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:30 pm

The reflection photographs just got better and better! Love the doggie headgear, nice one! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:42 pm

Superb photos Sarah. Especially the reflections shots. :clap:

Also, nice dog hat :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby heatheronthehills » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Lovely photos Sarah; the reflections were stunning!! it's also so nice to see natural photos ie not photoshopped, showing the real beauty of Scotland. Looks like all 3 of you had a great day..love he dogs antler headgear!!! Wonder if they make human versions?
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Yes, perfect pictures. It's always nicer with snow about :D
In Beauly it snowed all night, let's just hope this white cover stays a bit longer...

I must knit a hat like that for my husband :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:58 pm

I swore on seeing the last reflection shot, it is an absolute belter.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Sgurr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Never sure whether to be pleased that EVERYONE can see reflections like those from the ROAD, or to think (meanly) you need to have walked something to deserve them. Second last reflection shot for me. Superb. When I am really old, not just old, I shall be glad I can still go out and see sights like that.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby tweedledog » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Lovely pictures and, of course, I especially enjoyed the ones of Penny who mostly looked very pleased with herself - though not so sure about the woolly hat :crazy: My whippet is fine n the snow until it permanently reaches his chest. Then I get that rolling brown eyes look cast in my direction.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Nice one Sarah, mirror what others have said about your images..A1, really liked the ones into the sun...Not an expert but Penny's eyes looks quite sad with that wee hat on... :wink:
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments it means a lot especially since it was just a little hill walk compared to a more exciting munro but it was a fab day.

scottishkennyg wrote:Nice one Sarah, mirror what others have said about your images..A1, really liked the ones into the sun...Not an expert but Penny's eyes looks quite sad with that wee hat on... :wink:

Ha don't worry, that is just a typical Penny look :lol: She has one of those faces and she was looking at my sister for a biscuit.

Sgurr wrote:Never sure whether to be pleased that EVERYONE can see reflections like those from the ROAD, or to think (meanly) you need to have walked something to deserve them. Second last reflection shot for me. Superb. When I am really old, not just old, I shall be glad I can still go out and see sights like that.

I know what you mean, there is something special about being rewarded by a stunning view at the end of the walk but at the same time it would be a shame if people who weren't physically able were to miss out on this.

heatheronthehills wrote:Lovely photos Sarah; the reflections were stunning!! it's also so nice to see natural photos ie not photoshopped, showing the real beauty of Scotland. Looks like all 3 of you had a great day..love he dogs antler headgear!!! Wonder if they make human versions?

Thanks, that means a lot as I don't do lots to my photos only a few minor touch ups. Scotland is such a beautiful place, especially on days like that where it enhances itself.

tweedledog wrote:Lovely pictures and, of course, I especially enjoyed the ones of Penny who mostly looked very pleased with herself - though not so sure about the woolly hat :crazy: My whippet is fine n the snow until it permanently reaches his chest. Then I get that rolling brown eyes look cast in my direction.

I think it is a female thing buying the hat :lol: all of the money goes towards galgos rescue in Spain so all for a good cause :) Mine is 10 and a 1/2 now so more sensitive to things although she doesn't mind the snow too much what she isn't keen on is standing around in the freezing cold and strong winds, even with a coat on!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:01 pm

Got to give this a 'Great' for that doggy hat alone :D !
Some stunning photos there.
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland