walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Grahams from Amulree, with plenty of time to spare!

Two Grahams from Amulree, with plenty of time to spare!

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall nan Caorach, Meall Reamhar

Date walked: 15/11/2013

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 590m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I missed out on the WH Autumn meet as I could not manage both meets, so I decided to support the Argyll Mountaineering Club's November Meet held at the Killin Highland Lodges just outside the village on the Kenmore road. I was hoping to get similar weather as the week before but the MWIS had given warning that the Friday and the Sunday were the best days for the hillwalking, and therefore the cycle was packed for the Saturday when we were to be cycling between Killin and Callander on the Rob Roy Way. I drove to Amulree where I left the car at the village Hall carpark and was packed ready to go for 0845hrs. Heading South on the A822 for about 8 mins you find the track going to the farm at Girron. After crossing the bridge and heading around the rear of the farm the track heads off up the hillside in between the two Grahams. I was to be climbing Meall nan Caorach first, after passing thro' a gate and just beyond where there is a bend in the track I headed off up the West shoulder towards Creag Ghorm (a Sim)
1.JPG
Amulree village hall carpark with both Grahams in view in the distance
2.JPG
After crossing the bridge head towards the farm of Girron
3.JPG
Track heading towards both hills
4.JPG
Metal gate with easily crossed timber sections either side. Good track makes for fast walking
5.JPG
View from the summit of Creag Ghorm towards the first Graham Meall nan Caorach. There is a slight downclimb between both tops but nothing steep and underfoot conditions reasonable
6.JPG
View from summit trig point towards Loch Freuchie and Amulree
7.JPG
Meall Reamer from the summit of Meall nan Caorach, there is a fenceline to follow down to the track which you were on earlier and it continues all the way to the other summit. Once I got to the track I did not climb the new timber gate but decided to climb on the East side of the new fence. Thanks for the warning by the way, wjshaw2 fellow WH user in his report earlier which I had read before heading off, there is vast amounts of discarded wire fencing which you have to keep your eyes open for. With hindsight it might be better to climb over the gate and go up the West side of the new fenceline as all the old discarded wire appears to be on the East side.
8.JPG
New fence with the track winding between the two hills in the distance
9.JPG
View from the summit of Meall Reamer looking North West

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Two Grahams from Amulree, with plenty of time to spare!

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:28 pm

Just the kind of walk I enjoy on these shorter days and good views to be had. I will need to add this to my ever extending list!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Just the kind of walk I enjoy on these shorter days and good views to be had. I will need to add this to my ever extending list!

Fine and easy, just be careful of the old discarded wire from the fence, there is lots of the stuff near the fenceline. We don't want any injuries to doggie paws or yourself of course :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby wjshaw2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:07 pm

You're welcome. Glad to be of service :)
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:65
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland