walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon Corbetts from Innerwick

Glen Lyon Corbetts from Innerwick

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:23 pm

Route description: Cam Chreag, Innerwick, Glen Lyon

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Glen Lyon), Cam Chreag (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 17/11/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 20.2 km

Ascent: 1311m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last day of the Club weekend at Killin and this was to be the best weather of the weekend, so a reasonable early start was called for with the shortening days already here. After a good scrape of the car windows I left the lodge at Killin and headed on over to Innerwick in Glen Lyon via the Lawers road, with some icy sections evident, but on the whole fine with no problems really, some difference for the same date last year when there was utter turmoil as cars were sliding all over the place with most being abandoned at lower levels. When I was gaining height I found there was another car in front of me, I was to follow this car to the starting point carpark where I was headed. After a wee chat with the couple of lads who were in the car that I had followed I left the car at the signposted carpark on the Megernie Estate at 0845hrs and headed on the track that entered the West side of the carpark. It was going to be a fine cold and dry day.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
The carpark and toilets (closed in the winter) at Innerwick part of the Megernie Estate
a.JPG
Looking back towards Glen Lyon from the track
2.JPG
After a short distance on your right you can see the approach up the Lairig Ghallabhaich which is a right of way to Kinloch Rannoch and also the approach I am to be using for Beinn Dearg the second Corbett there is actually two gates with straining posts to climb over or you can take the track a little further on on your right which is not actually shown on my OS map, either way there is a river crossing to attempt
3.JPG
Looking along the undulating track towards the first Corbett Cam Chreag in the distance
4.JPG
After two bridge crossings and numerous drops in the undulating track you finally come to a corrugated iron shed, I carried on slightly further following the ATV track and headed West over wet and boggy ground in places keeping the wee lochan to my right
5.JPG
Looking back at the small lochan in the foreground with Beinn Dearg and Carn Gorm 1029m in the background
6.JPG
View from the summit cairn loooking West towards Meall Buidhe 931m Carpark to summit inside two hours
7.JPG
On the way back down the track the Lawers range in the distance
8.JPG
Now crossed the river and looking back at the river crossing from the right of way track at the side of the plantation. Tracks make for easy going but once your off the tracks there are no paths it's just a matter of getting over the terrain as best you can
9.JPG
Looking ahead along the good track with the tree plantation on your right, further on more trees on your left
10.JPG
You follow the track as far as you can heading on up the hillside, when the track forks take the right fork as the left fork continues to Kinloch Rannoch. After coming out of the trees it gets very wet and boggy in places for a while until, and as already said no tracks or paths to follow. It's a rounded lump of a hill with not a lot of distictive features, so head off in the direction of the summit. There are two cairns on the summit with the Southerly one the hightest point, with a metal post sticking vertically out of the cairn, on a fine vclear day the views would be superb looking towards the Lawers range
11.JPG
Not wishing to retrace my steps through the mudfest I decided to head on over to the cairn on the North section of the Creag Ard ridge and travel down the ridge in a southerly direction. Once again there are some peat bog jjumping situations but the underfoot conditions are not nearly as wet as the walk in to the summit to Beinn Dearg.
11.JPG
Cairn on the North point of the Creag Ard ridge, looking down the ridge
12.JPG
View up Glen Lyon from the ridge
13.JPG
I came across this cairn on my way down, well down the hillside, not sure why and what it was built for, any ideas?
Attachments
14.JPG
View of the church and Innerwick from the South West ridge. You can see a distinctive sheep pen near the roadside and I headed down towards the East side of it as there was a roadside gate nearby to allow my to walk the last few yards on the road back to the carpark. I should not have worried about daylight and time I was off the hill and back at the car at 1415hrs
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Glen Lyon Corbetts from Innerwick

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Nice area this Rod, though not the easiest to get to during winter conditions. I did a nice circuit a few years back, taking in the Graham as well. It was a mad rush getting back for work though, only just made it with 5 minutes to spare :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Looks like a nice wee day out Rod. Two good winter hills which must be why I did them both in the month of July!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice area this Rod, though not the easiest to get to during winter conditions. I did a nice circuit a few years back, taking in the Graham as well. It was a mad rush getting back for work though, only just made it with 5 minutes to spare :crazy:

Hi JC, just made them before the snow came, I believe there was snow up Glen Lyon yesterday, I fancy going over the road at Lawers to get there in bad conditions. I read your report but I thought I woudn't have time, must be gettting faster in my old age :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Graeme D wrote:Looks like a nice wee day out Rod. Two good winter hills which must be why I did them both in the month of July!

:lol: :lol: Thought I had better start knocking off some Perthshire hills, and hope to continue throughout the winter. Glad the weather stayed good after missing the previous Sunday. By the way you looked really cold on the Saturday hill at the WH meet. Hope to see you again soon up a hill no doubt! :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:01 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
Graeme D wrote:Looks like a nice wee day out Rod. Two good winter hills which must be why I did them both in the month of July!

:lol: :lol: Thought I had better start knocking off some Perthshire hills, and hope to continue throughout the winter. Glad the weather stayed good after missing the previous Sunday. By the way you looked really cold on the Saturday hill at the WH meet. Hope to see you again soon up a hill no doubt! :)

Cheers Rod. Aye, the Mamores route that day had it's moments but I've experienced a lot colder, and suspect I may yet experience much colder before this winter is out!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland