walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ime winter wonderland

Beinn Ime winter wonderland

Postby BigT » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 23/11/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1011m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I think just a short report on today. I manged to get out of bed on time which seen me start the walk 30 mins before sunrise (finally). i made use of this time to relax on the summit and take extra photos. My route was again the longer walk in past the Cobbler and this time across to the Beinn Ime gate. Then I just followed a close approximation of the path. White stuff was everywhere, and generally soft, I kept the microspikes on today for the ascent to see how that worked out. They turned out fine, allowing me to follow the stepped ice path, and providing a bit of bite on the snow, especially higher up on the packed flatter section running up to the peaks. It really was glorious beginning to end. A close call nearly seen me pop through the snow and ice into the stream, and I had my obligatory fall moment on the descent when a boggy bit tricked me into putting my foot down. It was quite warm today up to about 900 (ish) m. kept the crampons in the bag, did use the ice axe on the descent for balance. Walked out the same way, changing out the spikes at Narnain Boulders.

Early start - just getting above the fog on loch long.

First view of Beinn Ime

Ben Donich from the Beinn Ime gate

Cobbler, The Brack, Ben Donich from the slopes of Ime

in the white stuff proper, the steeper bit, still soft, mostly stepping through it, occasionally biting. over the brow it packs down more

Awesome walk up to the peaks

Looking across to Beinn Narnain

Over the first peak, looking back to it and its eastern face just before tackling the summit

At the summit

Summit views

Selfie, with tongue stuck out :roll:

Walking down, the exit route between Narnain and Cobbler

It was very special up there today. I don't really have the words for it.
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: Beinn Ime winter wonderland

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:03 pm

looks lovely ...enough of the white stuff to look stunning without been too deep and exhausting to walk in :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby tina bonar » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Cracking day we got today wasn't it? We met as you came down Ime and we were heading up just after dinnertime.The cloud had rolled in by the time we got to the top but was surprised to make it up in just a tshirt and fleece. You got some great photos too :clap:
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby BigT » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:43 am

tina bonar wrote:Cracking day we got today wasn't it? We met as you came down Ime and we were heading up just after dinnertime.The cloud had rolled in by the time we got to the top but was surprised to make it up in just a tshirt and fleece. You got some great photos too :clap:

Thanks, quick-fire point and click from me, but I like it that way :lol:

Glad you got to the top - when it clouds over it just gives us all a reason to do a hill again :D

The weather was very kind yesterday - much warmer than Tuesday when my hydration bladder froze at 900m on Beinn Narnain.
BigT
Mountaineer

Postby BigT » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:49 am

SAVAGEALICE wrote:looks lovely ...enough of the white stuff to look stunning without been too deep and exhausting to walk in :D

It was easier sticking to the ice yesterday during the "frozen bog slope" first half of ascent after the gate. after that it was a bit of graft at times in the snow, my calf muscles are like bricks today.
BigT
Mountaineer

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Nice pictures a bhalaich :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby dooterbang » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:26 pm

The ever changing weather: two weeks ago I was up here and snow was plentiful then last week it had gone, and now it's back!

Looked a great day - well done.

I did Luibhean and Ime from Butterbridge last week, a nice route too.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby BigT » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:24 pm

dooterbang wrote:The ever changing weather: two weeks ago I was up here and snow was plentiful then last week it had gone, and now it's back!

Looked a great day - well done.

I did Luibhean and Ime from Butterbridge last week, a nice route too.

Cheers, it was the photos from your run up Beinn Narnain a few weeks that sealed the deal with me committing to walking in winter conditions underfoot. So one set of crampons, an ice axe and some microspikes later, thanks :clap:
BigT
Mountaineer

Postby GavLindsay » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Nice pics mate.. me and a few mates went up on sunday morning.. started walking at 3am to get to the summit for sunrise.. walking in the dark was gd fun haha, no doubt it was your footprints thats were helping us stay on track lol!
GavLindsay
Mountain Walker

Sub 2000:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland